Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
anishtain4
anishtain4 began at the beginning.

Device: none
calibre 0.8.51 for ubuntu 10.04

I'm trying to have calibre 0.8.51 on my linux, unfortunately depository only install 0.6 and when I try to get it by the terminal page as:
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
after downloading 1583 bytes of it I get this error:

Code:
Downloaded 1583 bytes 
Checking downloaded file integrity... 
bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 285, in main
  File "<string>", line 243, in download_and_extract
  File "<string>", line 228, in download_tarball
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 511, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '[u'tar', u'tjf', '/tmp/tmpyr0pT_']' returned non-zero exit status 2
I've tried to redownload it and did it from other friends computer too, but I always get this same error. What should I do?

I also downloaded the .tar.bz2 but I couldn't figure out what to do with it? I couldn't find any setup.py file in that
anishtain4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The command line install works great on both
12.04 and 11.10

(both are 32 bit, Unity, and all recommended updates have been applied)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
anishtain4

Well mine is 10.04 32bit, gnome. is this the problem then?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
mh445
Enthusiast
mh445 began at the beginning.

FYI: Ubuntu 12.04 installs Calibre 0.8.38 from repository.
mh445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just trying it in a newly installed Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit environment; no issues at all.

Spoiler:

Code:
petert@ubuntu:~$ sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main()"
[sudo] password for petert: 
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]: 
Will download and install calibre-0.8.51-i686.tar.bz2 
                    Downloading calibre-0.8.51-i686.tar.bz2                     
100% [======================================================================]
                                                                                Downloaded 51329118 bytes 
Checking downloaded file integrity... 
tar: Record size = 8 blocks
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files... 
Creating symlinks...
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/fetch-ebook-metadata to /usr/bin/fetch-ebook-metadata
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrf2lrs to /usr/bin/lrf2lrs
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-convert to /usr/bin/ebook-convert
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-meta to /usr/bin/ebook-meta
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/pdfmanipulate to /usr/bin/pdfmanipulate
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrs2lrf to /usr/bin/lrs2lrf
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrfviewer to /usr/bin/lrfviewer
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre to /usr/bin/calibre
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/markdown-calibre to /usr/bin/markdown-calibre
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-debug to /usr/bin/calibre-debug
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel to /usr/bin/calibre-parallel
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/web2disk to /usr/bin/web2disk
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-server to /usr/bin/calibre-server
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-customize to /usr/bin/calibre-customize
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-viewer to /usr/bin/ebook-viewer
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-smtp to /usr/bin/calibre-smtp
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/epub-fix to /usr/bin/epub-fix
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-device to /usr/bin/ebook-device
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibredb to /usr/bin/calibredb
Setting up bash completion...
Installing bash completion to /etc/bash_completion.d/calibre
Installing MAN pages...
	Installing MAN page for ebook-meta
	Installing MAN page for ebook-convert
	Installing MAN page for web2disk
	Installing MAN page for calibre-server
	Installing MAN page for lrf2lrs
	Installing MAN page for lrs2lrf
	Installing MAN page for calibre-debug
	Installing MAN page for calibredb
	Installing MAN page for calibre-customize
	Installing MAN page for pdfmanipulate
	Installing MAN page for fetch-ebook-metadata
	Installing MAN page for epub-fix
	Installing MAN page for calibre-smtp
Setting up desktop integration...

You can automate future calibre installs by specifying the
installation directory in the install command itself, like
this:

sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/opt')"

Change /opt above to whatever directory you want calibre to be
automatically installed to

Run "calibre" to start calibre 
petert@ubuntu:~$
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh445 View Post
FYI: Ubuntu 12.04 installs Calibre 0.8.38 from repository.
We know the repository is Morbid

ALWAYS use the command line install.

(did you get the hint )

Never had a problem with the Gnome desktop (Calibre install AND / or general use )
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
anishtain4

Then what is my problem? I tried the same thing on my friends KDE 10.10 too and got the same error after downloading exactly 1583 bytes.

can you give me a hint on using the calibre-0.8.50-x86_64.tar.bz2 ?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishtain4 View Post
Then what is my problem? I tried the same thing on my friends KDE 10.10 too and got the same error after downloading exactly 1583 bytes.

did you paste the entire line into the console?
Code:
sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main()"
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think (s)he did... somehow looks like their download does not work properly. There is a thread on how to install manually, but something tells me this will not work for them either.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
My hint would be to not try using that particular package on a 32-bit version of Lucid Lynx.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My hint would be to not try using that particular package on a 32-bit version of Lucid Lynx.
++1! (or is it 1++!)
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
anishtain4

Sure ducks, it starts downloading and stops in the middle for the reason I can't figure out.

Guess it's not supposed for me to use calibre 0.8 in linux, evern manual installation gives this error:

/opt/calibre/bin/calibre_postinstall: 1: ELF: not found
/opt/calibre/bin/calibre_postinstall: 2: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Diap why is that so?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Sure ducks, it starts downloading and stops in the middle for the reason I can't figure out.

Guess it's not supposed for me to use calibre 0.8 in linux, evern manual installation gives this error:

Diap why is that so?
There was a problem with the install for some (mine ) Ubuntu waaaay back (Calibre 7.x ?) that caused download failures. Kovid changed something to get around that problem.

BTW what language is your system set for?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

Diap why is that so?
An ELF error (Executable and Linkable Format) usually means you're trying to execute a binary that's intended for a different architecture than your system has.

If you're using Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit) and want to try the manual install, then you need to download and use the calibre-X.X.XX-i686.tar.bz2 package and not the calibre-X.X.XX-x86_64.tar.bz2 package (which is only for 64-bit OSs).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-18-2012 at 09:31 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is it me or does it seem that Linux has more issue then it's worth?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote