Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Can I read the WSJ or NYT Online?

If I can read the Wall Street Journal Online via this sony reader.....I will buy it. It would actually be cheaper...since the print verson costs over $100 per year.....I already subscribe to the online verson. But on the train, I would like a device to read the paper.

So has anyone tried to do this with the WSJ or NYT? Is there someway to download the entire paper via rss feeds or something...and then take it with me in the morning?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Pets0undz
Pets0undz began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook
If only I could read my Financial Times on a Sony Reader, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Unfortunately one can only get their RSS feeds, which tend to be short summaries instead of full articles. I'd love to hear if anyone has made this work satisfactorily! There's a tool called web2book which can import the RSS feed.

The other application I'd love is to be able to read .pdfs of academic articles. Many of these are formatted for a small printable area for inclusion in conference proceedings.

Can anyone import say, http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/mihir/papers/dict.pdf and tell me if it's legible on a Reader? Comprehensible, of course, is a different matter.
Pets0undz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Thats a great question, and I look forward to hearing some answers on this myself, and I OWN the Reader, I read the Daily News daily, I would love to find a way to pop that into my reader.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
WSJ is not free online. It is a separate subscription from the paper version. Believe NYT went paid recently as well.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
I strongly suspect that the iRex Iliad will be the first device to have this feature. Equipped with its own internet connection (it has wireless on board) it was designed to connect to the iRex website and download content. iRex is working with several European newspapers to develop "on-line" versions that can be downloaded daily. With that set up, it should be possible to have the Iliad (or a subsequent version) to download your paper(s) of choice, while you sleep and be ready to read on the way out the door.

I think we are a long way from that day with the Sony.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tracy
WSJ is not free online. It is a separate subscription from the paper version. Believe NYT went paid recently as well.
The NYT is still free to read online, but you have to pay if you want to use the "TimesReader" software, which delivers the current day's paper to your windows PC, tablet, UMPC formatted for your screen size. (Mac version coming, they say).

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/timesr...mp=XQWBC070019
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I would try if you couldn't write a small shell script, wich gets the page, converts it into a reader compatible format and writes it to a SD-Card. Then you just put the SD into the Reader

I know some guys wich made that with the FAZ and a Palm.

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Heh, the late lamented Rocket eBook (which still have and read PQ books on), let you subscribe to the NYT and several other papers as well as "Time" magazine and other periodicals.

You just downloaded them daily or weekly, and it was great.

Of course, stupid Gemstar that took it over gave up any support. I did get a refund for my magazine and newspaper subscriptions.

So, this was available several years ago, so you'd think perhaps Sony would know about this. Uh, sorry, I should know better.

Maybe someday.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
curiouser
curiouser began at the beginning.

I probably should be careful about making promises...

FWIW, as a WSJ subscriber with a Reader, this is on my todo list. It's pretty simple to group stuff together by print section - they give you the page numbers for articles, and summaries already. The majority of articles seem easy to handle, though every once in a while there are tables, which I'm probably going to ignore. My end product will be a command line python script, as I intend to have a set of scripts I run every AM to generate a Reader-based newspaper.

However, it is penciled in as a May 2007 task, so it will be a month or so.
curiouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
You can use web2book to follow links in the RSS to get full articles. There are a number of examples. I'm not sure how well it would work for subscription based sites as I don't have any (currently it doesn't support cookies or HTTP auth, although they could be added).
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We know that newspapers around the world are experimenting with this idea, and that some are doing trials. I would expect that it's only a matter of time before one of these newspapers approaches Sony and tries to set up a partnership.

Of course, the newspaper in question would be wise to work out a way to customize your content to whatever reader you have, perhaps by downloading SW specific to your reader and capable of further content customization, and using that to download daily content.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
Chuck Eglinton
Chuck Eglinton began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-500
I'm trying out the excellent web2book

I have paid subscriptions to a couple of websites including the www.WSJ.com and www.BusinessWeek.com

web2book currently can't parse the subscription-only content.

However, I can copy that subscription only content to a local folder on my computer's hard drive.

Could I then use a batch utility to convert all the captured HTML files in a folder to a multiple LRF files?

Would it be possible to have a command line option to copy all the HTML files in a folder to a SINGLE .LRF file, but creates an LFR formatted TABLE OF CONTENTS that would allow me to quickly jump to each converted HTML page (Chapter)?

Chuck Eglinton
Chuck Eglinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #13
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Eglinton View Post
I'm trying out the excellent web2book

I have paid subscriptions to a couple of websites including the www.WSJ.com and www.BusinessWeek.com

web2book currently can't parse the subscription-only content.

However, I can copy that subscription only content to a local folder on my computer's hard drive.

Could I then use a batch utility to convert all the captured HTML files in a folder to a multiple LRF files?

Would it be possible to have a command line option to copy all the HTML files in a folder to a SINGLE .LRF file, but creates an LFR formatted TABLE OF CONTENTS that would allow me to quickly jump to each converted HTML page (Chapter)?

Chuck Eglinton
I would be willing to try make web2book work with subscription sites, but as I am not a suscriber to any, its tricky. If anyone wants to give me their credentials for such a site temporarily I'll try get that site to work. Send me a private message if you do.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:16 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Eglinton View Post

Chuck Eglinton
html2lrf will do this.
http://www.nytimesriver.com is an excellent way to read the nytimes on your reader.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-12-2007 at 03:30 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
Chuck Eglinton
Chuck Eglinton began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
I would be willing to try make web2book work with subscription sites, but as I am not a suscriber to any, its tricky. If anyone wants to give me their credentials for such a site temporarily I'll try get that site to work. Send me a private message if you do.
I've sent you a private message regarding subscription sites. Thanks for your help.

Would it be possible for you to make a quick fix that would allow web2book to read recursive HTML from a hard drive folder?

For example, I'd like to direct web2book to read saved html & and linked image files located at ....

"C:\my_html\testcapture.html"

Currently, web2book displays errors if I specify the URL as a file on my hard drive instead of a true URL "http:" address.
Chuck Eglinton is offline   Reply With Quote