Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post Win a Weekend with Beedle the Bard!

Amazon Contest Offers A Chance To Spend Some Time With One Of The Seven-Of-A-Kind Book The Tales of Beedle the Bard

It caused quite a stir around here when Amazon bought it for not one, but two big boxes of galleons. Now Amazon is offering a chance to spend some quality time with its copy of the artificially rare The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Here's the nutshell version: They're offering a trip to London for you and your very closest friend (win it and see just how many of those you never knew you had!) to spend "a weekend" with the book and its personal security retinue. Oh, yeah, and a nice pair of white gloves each.

The contest is open to residents of twenty-four countries (dunno which ones), aged thirteen and up. It's an essay contest, and the specified topics are:
  • What songs do wizards use to celebrate birthdays?
  • What sports do wizards play besides Quidditch?
  • What have you learned from the Harry Potter series that you use in everyday life?

Full details are available here, along with a list of FAQs and the official rules.

If anyone here wins it, we will be expecting a full report.

No word at this time on whether you get to keep the gloves.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Now why would I do that?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Do what? Keep the gloves?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
No, sing wizard birthday songs.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I don't get all the fuss over her or her books. ???
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We all have different tastes. I think the books are wonderful stories, personally, and anything that gets teenagers to READ (as her books have, without question, done) has GOT to be a Good Thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We all have different tastes. I think the books are wonderful stories, personally, and anything that gets teenagers to READ (as her books have, without question, done) has GOT to be a Good Thing.
That I understand. What I don't understand is why adults go ga-ga over her stuff.

Case in point - in the office where I work there is a 30 year old woman, the last HP book that was released she stayed up until midnight or whenever it was released and then proceeded to read it immediatley right through to the end.
The same day.
Without sleeping.
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
HP is one of the best series I have ever read in my life.

However....all this fuss about a book written by a mere mortal woman just like my neighbour next door?
Then again, I have never understood any type of fuss risen about so called celebrities or famous people while they are just the same or maybe worse than anyone around me...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Now after she finished the line there is a lot of HP sidekicks? HP and the search for yet more money?

Whatever "the beetle and the bard" is supposed to do, this venture is *NOT* to get kids reading.

BTW: Why do people go ga-ga on the books? Becaues they offer a nice little closed universe thats different to us, one you can escape into if you get enough of our universe.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron-UK View Post
I don't get all the fuss over her or her books. ???
Me neither. I thought the first book was ok, but the series declined as it went on.
The stories are fine, but the writing is nothing special.
I wonder if they're the type of books that suit faster readers . I'm a slow reader, and don't find HP books very immersive (if I'm honest, they seem rather boring at my plodding pace).

Also, I do think that J. K. Rowling (like Richmal Crompton before her) demonstrates that women writers can't often write convincing young boy characters.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Me neither. I thought the first book was ok, but the series declined as it went on.
The stories are fine, but the writing is nothing special.
To offer a contrary opinion, I thought that the series got better and better as it went on; the last book I thought was superb. I queued up at midnight at the local book shop for the last THREE books in the series. Great fun .

Quote:
Also, I do think that J. K. Rowling (like Richmal Crompton before her) demonstrates that women writers can't often write convincing young boy characters.
What did you find "unconvincing" about it? Seemed OK to me!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What did you find "unconvincing" about it? Seemed OK to me!
Very much a female view of what boyhood is like imho - boys are silly, ineffectual and immature (e.g. Weasleys, Hagrid, Nigel), they just can't cope without strong female guidance (Hermione, Mrs. W).
As an ex-boy, I couldn't relate to them (and HP is just a bore - no wonder they kept him under the stairs! ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd enter just for the free trip to London. Forget the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Very much a female view of what boyhood is like imho - boys are silly, ineffectual and immature (e.g. Weasleys, Hagrid, Nigel), they just can't cope without strong female guidance (Hermione, Mrs. W).
As an ex-boy, I couldn't relate to them (and HP is just a bore - no wonder they kept him under the stairs! ).
Seems reasonably realistic to me. Looking back to my teenage years, I think that boys generally ARE a lot less mature than girls at that age.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
i'm not a boy myself so obviously i'm probably only going to add water to your mill by saying this, but a lot of the boys i knew when i was that age were pretty silly ineffectual and immature...

in fact, a lot of the "boys" i know *now* are still pretty immature ! (not all of them, luckily !!!)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 04-11-2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: fixing the smiley !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, beedle the bard, contest