Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #46
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
As to your second question auto rotate on the home screen was not available with Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). It wasn't introduced until Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). Kobo is working on releasing it.
Strange. Auto-rotate was available on all of the ICS 4.0 devices (even cheapass ones) I've played with at the shops. It's the first version of Jelly Bean where homescreen rotation wasn't available, fortunately corrected.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Strange. Auto-rotate was available on all of the ICS 4.0 devices (even cheapass ones) I've played with at the shops. It's the first version of Jelly Bean where homescreen rotation wasn't available, fortunately corrected.
Hmmm, opposite experience here. Maybe I'm mistaken. Not the first time.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #48
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_bos View Post
I have just purchased my first tablet/e-reader of any kind. I go with the Kobo Arc and am a little frustrated at the moment.

1. How can I delete the Discovery Bar? I don't care what you have to say...put it in the Reading Tapestry if you must. It is wasting nice screen space.
2. Why is does my home screen not rotate? The auto rotate is on. (It is working in the free free preview of the Start Trek book).
3. Where can I get this sleep cover that is mentioned on the Kobo Website? Is this product even made? I can't find it on anywhere. In fact finding a cover for the Arc isi proving to be very difficult. I purchased one that the Vox uses thinking it would work because it is the same size. Needless to say I don't like the fit on the cover.
4. Why did the owner's manual download but I couldn't open it? I had to email it to myself to use. What is the point of having an Arc then?

I haven't even downloaded or explored any of the books yet and I have several questions. This has me concerned because I did a lot of research on which product to use before settling on the Arc. I hope it gets better because right now I am really frustrated at the lack of products/information available on how to use it and its general use.
1. Discovery can not be disabled. It is a part of the Tapestry experience . The more you pin the better the experience is. We are also doing everything we can to make the experience better everyday.

2. We locked the Tapestry experience to insure that your tapestries will stay exactly how you like them. Try rotating the screen on other tablets after setting a page up. The experience is not very good. Everything gets stretched and or compressed depending on quick layout you are changing to.

3. Sleep covers are coming. They sell out really fast. I can't even get one.

4. The owners manual is a PDF file I believe. We couldn't pre-load a PDF reader. I'm no more happy about that than you ;-)

I hope that helps.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #49
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
I assume this is for online orders only?
I just checked, and yes, it does say it's only for online orders. I was wrong about the date, though. The offer runs until November 26 on in-stock Arc tablets.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #50
RJD
RJD began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, thinking about a Kobo Arc or Nexus 7
Anyone had a chance to compare the displays on the Arc and the Nexus 7 side by side? Which looked best to you for movies, comics, etc?

I've read that the Nexus 7 display isn't very well calibrated, and I'm curious whether or not the Arc has better colour saturation, brightness, etc.
RJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #51
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
4. The owners manual is a PDF file I believe. We couldn't pre-load a PDF reader. I'm no more happy about that than you ;-)
Why not convert it to ePub, or the format used for cookbooks and graphic novels, and then pre-load it on the device? No good reason I can see that it would have to be a .PDF.

Thanks so much for being active in the forums, BTW!
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #52
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Quote:

3. Sleep covers are coming. They sell out really fast. I can't even get one.

I hope that helps.
Hope we can get those sleep covers soon Then again, my Arc hasn't shipped, so it's not a problem yet *g*... I really like the one that doubles as a stand...

I did find out about the manual being available online via a google alert (I have one set up for Kobo Arc)...it was great to be able to read through it even before the Arc was released. I have it stored on my laptop in case I need it:
http://merch.kobobooks.com/customer_...r_guide_en.pdf

And I'll add my thanks to you, Robin, for participating in this forum. I'm very excited about my Arc, though truth be told, I also liked my Vox - my husband is happy to take it when the Arc arrives...

Tess
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #53
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Why not convert it to ePub, or the format used for cookbooks and graphic novels, and then pre-load it on the device? No good reason I can see that it would have to be a .PDF.

Thanks so much for being active in the forums, BTW!
Good question, i'll find out.

The short answer for now is that or help is web based. While some people ask for an epub version even more ask for a way to print it. I do understand the frustration. Actually that's half the reason I am here
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #54
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
Hope we can get those sleep covers soon Then again, my Arc hasn't shipped, so it's not a problem yet *g*... I really like the one that doubles as a stand...

I did find out about the manual being available online via a google alert (I have one set up for Kobo Arc)...it was great to be able to read through it even before the Arc was released. I have it stored on my laptop in case I need it:
http://merch.kobobooks.com/customer_...r_guide_en.pdf

And I'll add my thanks to you, Robin, for participating in this forum. I'm very excited about my Arc, though truth be told, I also liked my Vox - my husband is happy to take it when the Arc arrives...

Tess
No problem. I hope you enjoy your Arc.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #55
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Install Go Launcher to get rid of Tapestry etc on the home screen
Thank you so much for this!!! I have now gotten rid of the annoying discovery bar....if only I could have the tapestries back... LOL I know I don't ask for much...
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #56
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
Thank you so much for this!!! I have now gotten rid of the annoying discovery bar....if only I could have the tapestries back... LOL I know I don't ask for much...
You'll be back. LOL

I hope so anyway.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #57
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
question: I have not purchased the Arc yet as it's not in the states yet. But I am wondering, will the device suggest books to you if you are purchasing your books from somewhere other than Kobo (does it recognize those books & suggest things for you)?
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #58
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimicocopop View Post
question: I have not purchased the Arc yet as it's not in the states yet. But I am wondering, will the device suggest books to you if you are purchasing your books from somewhere other than Kobo (does it recognize those books & suggest things for you)?
No and Yes.

Discovery will only recommend items based on Kobo books. You could pin a website about the book to see things related or you could pin the preview of the book from Kobo and see related items.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #59
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
Quote:
No and Yes.

Discovery will only recommend items based on Kobo books. You could pin a website about the book to see things related or you could pin the preview of the book from Kobo and see related items.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. That helps a lot. I would like to take advantage of that feature where books are concerned but didn't know if it would work having mostly a kindle library.
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #60
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Quote:
Sweet, now I can post in my own little world.

Where are all my Arc people?
In Canada...

Quick question - for charging my Arc (when it arrives) is it true all I need is a mini USB cable? Can I continue to use the one from my Vox?

Thanks!
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote