Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
mmseng
mmseng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Integrating Content Server with existing webserver?

Ok so here's my deal:

I have a Kindle, and I'd like to try to use it to access the Calibre Content Server. Apparently the Kindle web browser cannot access nonstandard ports. So I need to either run the content server on port 80 or forward my external port 80 to calibre's port 8080 (or whatever). That's not a problem. I could do that if I wanted to.

Here's the problem. I already run a webserver on my external port 80, and thus cannot forward it to Calibre. So my options are looking like:
- Get a second external IP address/router (yeah right)
- Stop my webserver just to run Calibre's content server (no thanks)
- Get the Kindle to access non-80 ports (not likely)
- Get Calibre's content server to somehow work together with my existing webserver on port 80.

Here's what I'm thinking, but I'm not entirely sure if/how this can be done. It seems like through some combination of redirection and/or virtual hosts I could get the kindle to be redirected from mydomain.com:80/calibre/ straight to the calibre CS, hopefully without the kindle needing to realize it's shifted ports (because calibre will still be running on a non-standard port on a separate machine from the webserver, unless someone has come up with a fix for that).

If anyone has any more detailed info on how I could do this, or can think on any other options I'm not thinking of, pray tell.
mmseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Apache at least has something called reverse proxying whereby it transparently redirects requests to another webserver running on a different port, in combination with its mod_rewrite you should be able to achieve this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
mmseng

I see. Thanks. I'll look into it.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
mmseng

It took some doing, but I got it working! Thanks!

This is sweet, now I can just go to mydomain.com/calibre/ on mah Kindle and have access to all my books anytime for free