Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
Energetics
Energetics began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reading just PDF's: what to expect 902/903

OK guys so far I've read this forum since 4 months now. So If I missed an answer...take it easy on me...
Have been waiting for 902 and 903 since November last year.

But by all information I could gather....there is no sum-up of what I am looking for.

I've got tons of pdf's

And sure I wanna read them...as A4 as possible at home.

Its mostly written text...sometimes copied paper in pdf...sometimes pc written stuff. not really pictures..

Questions:

a- if there are colums how will these readers handle them?
b- If the pdf is a scan..will the reader just maximize it like a picture? and if you zoom - can you move the zoomed screen around on the "page"
c-if just created by PC, can the reader change pdf fontsize and still make the adapted layout of text pleasently readable?
d-if I can select the Text on a PC PDF can 902/3 then change the fontsize?
e-can they change it PROPPERLY if the text is in colums so that one page with 2 colums becomes 2 pages to read?
f- how is horizontal text handled? (if it is in colums)
-is there already a possibility to link a keybaord to these models to write on them or even navigate with the arrows?

Last edited by Energetics; 11-11-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Energetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Irratzo
Enthusiast
Irratzo began at the beginning.

Device: M96, Pocketbook 903
This doesn't answer your question.
Rather I thought that you would find this video of the 902 handling technical pdfs (including standard zooming and a scanned book with 3 columns) illustrative.
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Aohm...eature=related
The part described above begins at 4:40.

The comments might also be helpful.
Q:is it a difference if the pdf is scanned as an image or traced with ocr so that it is text/searchable? I mean does the layout mess up when it is not an image anymore?

pocketbook:Actually, there is no difference in the handling times (book openning, page select) , but you can not read scanned books (images) in reflow mode.
Irratzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Energetics

actually this video is no help at all

it does not show any zoom in the multi colum page at ~7min and what would happen to the formatting

it does not show a zoom on the same page. Only the levels that are in the software....
SO I CAN NOT ZOOM IN TO HALF A PAGE?

the 3 colum stuff is not readable....I would kill my eyes in working like that .
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Energetics

I do need a device that:

lets me zoom on a x colum page into the first colum displaying word 1 to 400 (of 834) in full screen (readable) and then on a press of a button the other half of the colum is displayed (401 to 834)...then colum2 first part...then second and so on....

IS THAT POSSIBLE WITH 902/3?

I mean what the heck...why didn't all these brands ravaging on the market now bring out A4 sized readers in the first place?

Last edited by Energetics; 11-11-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
I think you need to take a look at the User Manual of 602 which I found here in Pocketbook forum. Someone from Pocketbook attached it. and I attach the file for you here. You would like to look at page 45 to see whether it supports the column view function. It clearly says that 602 supports column view.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf user_guide_pocketbook_602(en).pdf (726.3 KB, 425 views)
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Krzych Ayanami
Enthusiast
Krzych Ayanami began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903 (soon!)
Energetics - don't ask question which no one can answer. Pocketbook don't sell new models yet, so we don't know how pdf viewer work.

Wait till the end of month.
Krzych Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Energetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzych Ayanami View Post
Energetics - don't ask question which no one can answer. Pocketbook don't sell new models yet, so we don't know how pdf viewer work.

Wait till the end of month.
and that is my point....
NO ONE ANSWERS!
Especially not the producer! They say "it works".
But what is "it"? and how far "does" it?

I am not inclined to be the test-dummy for a product that has to be brought in the market so we "CAN FIND OUT" if it works. and they spoke the truth
and maybe needs softwareupdates before it runs.

Then the first buyers are just unpaid testers who bought at full price.

and we all know how often that happened the last 30 years I do remember...
Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
You are probably right and we, the people who preordered the devices, are test-dummies. I personally chose this product based on what the other devices can do, and the reactions of the people who own PB devices. If it is not enough for you, then you should wait for reviews.

I also think that most of us on this forum consider the devices a work in progress. Considering the fact that they are beta testing now the new firmware on the old devices, it means that at least the first of the new models will have the old firmware with known bugs.

Now about your questions: how much do you want to increase the text?
If we consider an A4 format (210 x 297 mm) than at a first look it would not fit a 139,7 x 203,2 mm screen (this is what I get from the resolution of the screen -> 5.5 x 8 inches). If the pdf is text, and not a scanned book, you can probably remove the margins. For example if there are 1 inch margins on all sides, then the text takes 159,2 x 246,2 mm. So if you would view this to fit the screen, it would be at a little above 80%. If that is not satisfactory, or if you can't or won't remove the margins, you can always view the pdf on the screen in landscape mode at 95%.

So what is it that you need the device to do?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
I mean what the heck...why didn't all these brands ravaging on the market now bring out A4 sized readers in the first place?
Judging by past threads about 301 screens breaking despite careful use, I'd guess that A4-sized readers would have been too fragile.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote