Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
a way NOT to have Calibre automatically connect with device?

Is there a way to make Calibre NOT connect automatically with the device when that's plugged in to the computer? I don't use Calibre to put books onto it, only to convert. But every time the device happens to be plugged in when I do that, Calibre tries to connect and index the device, it takes for ever & just now the whole thing even locked up -- and all for something I don't need.

So I'd prefer to turn off Calibre's automatic detection of ereader devices, but I can't find it in the options.

MTIA.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Is there a way to make Calibre NOT connect automatically with the device when that's plugged in to the computer?
Yes, go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin and disable the plugin for the device you want to prevent connecting.

Of course you'll have to re-enable the plugin to have it connect again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm mildly curious what you're actually using to load books on your device if not calibre.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Yes, go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin and disable the plugin for the device you want to prevent connecting.

Of course you'll have to re-enable the plugin to have it connect again.
I thought you were onto something there.
I disabled the plugin for Havlin V5.

The device was still discovered

I use "Save to Disk", not having to wait to make the desired template switch, would be nice, just to add a book or 2 .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried to disable the "Read Metadata from files on device" option in the device driver?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you tried to disable the "Read Metadata from files on device" option in the device driver?
That only speeds things up It still gets all the titles(by file names?)
Old 06-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

It works.

A restart was needed

I connect my device, and now, Calibre does nothing

Save to disk still works
(I have been doing a lot of Style tweaks with Sigil, and I do frequent [I]oops [/I ]checks on my reader. Sigil WYSWIG, Calibre viewer and my reader don't always render the same.)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Do you mean a restart of the programme or a reboot of the computer?

@Wordwalker: I simply put the books on with my file manager -- windows explorer, say. On the Pocketbook I can simply browse the directory structure (and Calibre's obligatory directory structure is *not* a great help, in that respect).
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
@Wordwalker: I simply put the books on with my file manager -- windows explorer, say. On the Pocketbook I can simply browse the directory structure (and Calibre's obligatory directory structure is *not* a great help, in that respect).
Calibre is a great tool for managing ebooks, but you have to use it correctly. If you are using Windows explorer to drag files from Calibre's private directory structure to your ereader, it's like using a hammer by holding the head, striking the nail with the handle and complaining that the tool isn't much of a help in driving nails.

Please learn to use it correctly. Save to Disk or Send to Device, or even the Send to Folder Device will do what you want, and it will actually help you, not hinder you, the way trying to directly access Calibre's private folder structure does.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Calibre is a great tool for managing ebooks, but you have to use it correctly. If you are using Windows explorer to drag files from Calibre's private directory structure to your ereader, it's like using a hammer by holding the head, striking the nail with the handle and complaining that the tool isn't much of a help in driving nails.

Please learn to use it correctly. Save to Disk or Send to Device, or even the Send to Folder Device will do what you want, and it will actually help you, not hinder you, the way trying to directly access Calibre's private folder structure does.
I agree with you, and Calibre is my "go-to" program for most every need with my ebooks.

However, not to disagree with you, but I do believe there are valid reasons when (with its present options) it's not always the ideal solution, such as the issue I raised in this thread yesterday:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86509

That doesn't at all reduce my love for the program but it does force me to work around what the program will do without my having any input.

I'm always happy to learn of other solutions.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman7 View Post
I do believe there are valid reasons when (with its present options) it's not always the ideal solution, such as the issue I raised in this thread yesterday:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86509
I've been reading that thread, but not having a Kindle, it's hard to even discern what difficulty you are having. Are you saying you directly access Calibre's Library folders, or just that you prefer Saving to Disk first, then drag/drop? I find it hard to think of any circumstance where direct access is preferable. I've only recently been able to convince Calibre that my phones are true ereader devices (I have Charles to thank for that recent improvement), so I've been using Save to Disk for a long time, followed by drag/drop.

Before I figured out how to use Calibre, I tried to drag out of the Library directly. That's a lousy method. It's hard to find the book, it has the wrong name, it takes a million clicks to get all the series I want, then I have to fix the names, put the files in the right folders etc.

The right way is to just set the output template to the name you want, then use the GUI and search for all the books, select, right-click and Save. It gives them the correct name that I want and puts them into the correct folder I need without regard to what Calibre has used for its Library. I typically saved to either desktop or direct to the SD card.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Up until the current version of Calibre, I've always sent my books directly to Kindle (both mine and my wife's) main memory.

However, now that version 2.5 of Kindle 2 allows you create folders/collections, I have sorted over 300 books into 15 or so folders that I feel work well in terms of defining the various categories of my books to be read. (I remove my books from Kindle after reading but leave them on Calibre.)

From what Kovid said yesterday, it sounds like the latest version of Calibre will make changes to the Kindle whether I want it to or not. (All I want is the option to be able to continue sending a book or two to main memory without it changing or deleting the folders/collections I have spent a few hours building. Once the book is on the Kindle, it's just a matter of me telling it what collection I want the book in. That only takes a second or two.)

If I knew that the folders/collections that I have created on the Kindle will remain intact, I'd be thrilled.

But, since I'm afraid it's going to make changes to the structure I've painstakingly created, I'm afraid (now) to allow Calibre 0.7.1 to connect directly to the Kindle until I know the consequences more clearly.

Does this make sense? (Otherwise, I am loving the new version of Calibre and using the new features to manage my library on my computer to good effect.)

Last edited by Bluesman7; 06-11-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I've been reading that thread, but not having a Kindle, it's hard to even discern what difficulty you are having. Are you saying you directly access Calibre's Library folders, or just that you prefer Saving to Disk first, then drag/drop?
He created 15 folders on the Kindle that he's using like 'Collections'. He manually moved his 300+ books into those 15 folders. So I think his issue is that his book list in Calibre doesn't have the tags to correspond to those folders (instead he has the plethora of junk 'download metadata' tags). So once the K2 driver can handle collections, he's afraid when he syncs, it will reorganize his nice 15-folder library into the junk tags that were downloaded with the rest of the metadata.

@Bluesman: The ideal solution to your problem would be to wipe all the tags from your Calibre library, and then add tags that correspond to the folders you created. Obviously this is in essence re-doing the work you already did, but it might be inevitable.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-11-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Stinger, that sounds like a nice succinct way of putting it.
I guess I should never have allowed the download of all the metadata tags into Calibre but I never anticipated this issue arising during those past months.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman7 View Post
Up until the current version of Calibre, I've always sent my books directly to Kindle (both mine and my wife's) main memory.
I'd be very surprised if you can't do what you used to be able to do.

Quote:
However, now that version 2.5 of Kindle 2 allows you create folders/collections, I have sorted over 300 books into 15 or so folders that I feel work well in terms of defining the various categories of my books to be read. (I remove my books from Kindle after reading but leave them on Calibre.)

From what Kovid said yesterday, it sounds like the latest version of Calibre will make changes to the Kindle whether I want it to or not.
I read his post, but I thought he said Calibre doesn't know anything about Kindle collections. "As far as 0.7.1 is concerned, it won't turn anything into collections since it doesn't know about collections on the Kindle."

Quote:
If I knew that the folders/collections that I have created on the Kindle will remain intact, I'd be thrilled.

But, since I'm afraid it's going to make changes to the structure I've painstakingly created, I'm afraid (now) to allow Calibre 0.7.1 to connect directly to the Kindle until I know the consequences more clearly.

Does this make sense? (Otherwise, I am loving the new version of Calibre and using the new features to manage my library on my computer to good effect.)
Are you saying you're worried the new version might do something, but you're not currently having any problems? I suspect you'll get some more info relating to your concerns if you express them clearly. Unfortunately, I'm not the one to help - I would never buy a Kindle (I dislike intentionally crippled and locked up devices with a passion) and those who have them and know Calibre haven't all received the new updates yet.