Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure, next release, via a right click menu.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Sure, next release, via a right click menu.
When the best just keeps getting better. Thanks.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@jackiew: That is a bug, which will be fixed in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Thanks
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love the feature which lets you create a ToC with one entry per file. Thanks for this

However, sometimes I can't tell from the generated label what is actually in a particular file so that I can decide whether to remove it from the ToC or rename it. Would it be possible to add some kind of option to quickly preview the contents of a ToC entry whilst it's highlighted. The preview panel shown when using the 'Create a new entry' option is excellent but if it isn't possible to have this, perhaps a right-click preview or even the first nnnn chars as a pop-up tooltip when you hover over an entry (such as is used in the EpubSplit plugin).

Secondly, a minor usability point. When in the 'Create a new entry' screen, the left-most panel is not really wide enough to see the whole filename. Perhaps a redistribution of the width allocated between filename vs. content preview would be nice or maybe an adjustable width splitter.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackiew: What's preventing your from using the change location panel to preview the file? Just click cancel after viewing the file. No changes will be made and you will be back to the ToC view.

I'll look into using an adjustable splitter for the file listing, however, I am going to be traveling for the next few days, so I may not find the time, please opena bug report requesting the feature, so I dont forget.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@jackiew: What's preventing your from using the change location panel to preview the file? Just click cancel after viewing the file. No changes will be made and you will be back to the ToC view.
Well, I never thought of that, did I?

Quote:
I'll look into using an adjustable splitter for the file listing, however, I am going to be traveling for the next few days, so I may not find the time, please opena bug report requesting the feature, so I dont forget.
OK, no rush. I'll open the bug report tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
OK, no rush. I'll open the bug report tomorrow.
Dont bother, I had ten minutes so I implemented it.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Ten whole minutes, you say. It would have taken me longer than that to wrestle with the launchpad system.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@kovid,

I've noticed that when using the option 'Generate ToC from files', entries are not created for files which consist of images only, e.g. cover or maps. Is this expected behaviour or shall I raise a bug report?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There needs to be some text inside a child of <body> otherwise the tool ignores the file. This is usually what is desired, for example, it ignores common cover files.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

So it's deliberate, then? It seems odd to deliberately exclude them. Your decision, of course

IMO it can be quite useful to have a ToC entry for a map as you may want to keep referring back to it whilst reading. I suppose it's easy enough to create a bookmark as a workaround.

Lots of books do include a ToC entry for the main cover. In fact it may even be desirable for Kobo users as, for some strange Kobo-reasoning, newly opened epubs open at the location of the first ToC item (there are frequent complaints about this on the Kobo forum). Still, I understand it's not calibre's job to fix everybody else's quirks.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As Kovid said, the TOC is built from text it finds that could be considered a heading of some sort. If there is only the map, then there isn't anything to use. I suppose if there is an ALT text for the map, that could be used.

What I do is to add a hidden heading. The heading is:

Code:
<h1 class="hidden">Map</h1>
And the style is:

Code:
.hidden {
	display:none;
}
That gets a TOC entry generated without any text shown.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #29
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@davidfor,
Yes, I know how to force ToC items for my own html-to-epub calibre conversions (I use the <h1 title="Map"></h1> option) but I seem to spend a lot of time fixing up existing partial ToCs or sometimes totally messed up ToCs. Sometimes it's just faster to throw away the existing version and create anew from the 'generate from files' option.

Speaking only for myself, I'd be perfectly happy with an auto-generated entry of 'Untitled' (or the filename) for any file which doesn't contain any text. It can easily be edited later and it's faster to manually delete unwanted entries afterwards than to have to search for possible 'no-text files' which have been auto excluded.

... or maybe I should just spend less time fixing and get on with the actual reading

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@davidfor,
Yes, I know how to force ToC items for my own html-to-epub calibre conversions (I use the <h1 title="Map"></h1> option) but I seem to spend a lot of time fixing up existing partial ToCs or sometimes totally messed up ToCs. Sometimes it's just faster to throw away the existing version and create anew from the 'generate from files' option.
When it gets that bad, I'm generally in Sigil fixing things and use it to generate the TOC. Then I discover that they didn't use heading tags for the chapter headings.
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I'd be perfectly happy with an auto-generated entry of 'Untitled' (or the filename) for any file which doesn't contain any text. It can easily be edited later and it's faster to manually delete unwanted entries afterwards than to have to search for possible 'no-text files' which have been auto excluded.
Probably not that bad an idea. Especially as you can already edit the generated text. But, there is already a create TOC from files option. That seems to use the first heading. I don't know whether these would conflict.
Quote:
... or maybe I should just spend less time fixing and get on with the actual reading
What, actually use our ereaders for what they were designed for?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote