Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Does anyone program in Forth?

The WikiReader runs programs written in Forth. Does anyone have any experience with this language?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Many, many years ago.

Forth is a stack based language, rather like PostScript. Or more accurately, PostScript is rather like Forth, since Forth has been around longer.

There was even one a UK home computer that ran a Forth interpreter, rather than a BASIC interpreter.

What's WikiReader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The WikiReader runs programs written in Forth. Does anyone have any experience with this language?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
People that live along the firth of Forth?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What's WikiReader?
this:
www.thewikireader.com
Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, neat.

Now put Project Gutenberg on it....

Quote:
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I went looking for more information, and according to the wiki the WikiReader itself has a Forth compiler. So all we would need to do is copy the source file to the SD card.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I played with a little back in my programming days, thirty years ago. The ability to define your own "words" made it interesting, but I could never wrap my head around the RPN notation.

I've since forgotten everything I might have ever known about it!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've looked a little further. Although there's a forth interpreter included on the SD Card, this is really only for testing purposes. Most of the code is written in C or python.

The device has a tiny boot loader that load the actual kernal from the SD Card, so to make a Project Gutenberg SD Card you need to compile a special KERNAL.ELF file.

It looks fascinating. The screen is only 240x202, but a monochrome LCD is usually quite readable. I'm very tempted to get one just to play with.

Quote:
I went looking for more information, and according to the wiki the WikiReader itself has a Forth compiler. So all we would need to do is copy the source file to the SD card.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Well, I've ordered one. A battery-powered touchscreen device with three buttons, that can run for months on 2 AAA batteries? What's not to like?

:-)

Quote:
Old 11-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
I've looked a little further. Although there's a forth interpreter included on the SD Card, this is really only for testing purposes. Most of the code is written in C or python.
It may only be intended for testing purposes, but it's there. Why not use it?

When you get your device, press and hold the search button before you turn it on. You will see a list of programs. All (most?) are written in Forth.

The attached zip file contains the forth files from my wikireader.
Attached Files
File Type: zip forth.zip (122.3 KB, 241 views)
Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Forth is fun to program. And it very easy to write an interpretator for it so I have used Forth like languages as embedded languages sometimes.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Ah - I see.

Yes, writing forth does sound fun, and probably easier to start with than re-writing/compiling the kernel.elf file.

textview.4th looks interesting.

How do you find the screen? What's it like in different lighting conditions?

Quote:
It may only be intended for testing purposes, but it's there. Why not use it?

When you get your device, press and hold the search button before you turn it on. You will see a list of programs. All (most?) are written in Forth.

The attached zip file contains the forth files from my wikireader.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

wow - haven't thought of forth in years

wrote a PC layout package on a CPM based 8 bit micro for my grad project.
I might have to pick one up to play with.....
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
sporkinum
sporkinum began at the beginning.

Device: Wikireader
Project Gutenberg

I read a message online from one of the developers that Project Gutenberg is on their roadmap. I don't know if it would be a seperate sd card, or an application on the current one since there is about 3gb free on it.

I have started messing around with trying to compile the source so I can change the boot graphic. It has to be 160 pixels wide at maximum, monochrome, and the pixel count has to be divisible by 8. I am having a few issues, but hope to figure it out.
sporkinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
How do you find the screen? What's it like in different lighting conditions?
Well, my WikiReader has now arrived. It's rather impressive.

The screen is not backlit, and sem to be a reflective B&W display - well black and silver/grey. Contrast in indoor lighting a bit worse than eInk, but not too bad at all. It gets better in brighter light. The surface is glossy - and seems to be glass.

Switch on time to the search screen is less than two seconds. The searching using an on-screen keyboard is very good, and for finding something in the off-line copy of Wikipedia i works very well.

The memory is a micro SDHC, removable through the battery compartment.

I like it. I shall have great fun playing with it, especially if I can get the kernal compiled up and working, so that I can tweak it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!