Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > IMP Books (offline)

Notices

Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Van Dine, S.S.: The Bishop Murder Case v1.0 2008-02-02

This is the text from Project Gutenberg Australia. I have included :
- page header with the title / author,
- clickable TOC,
- and the illustrations. Where necessary, i rotated them to landscape mode to increase the display size, and since there are several rather detailed maps I have added a numbered legend where the original text is illegible : once on the image (it felt a little like blasphemy, but now you can read it better...) and on one VERY detailed map i added numbers to the image with a legend in the body of the text after the illustration.

I aligned the text to the left with a ragged right margin, since i don't like justified text unless i can manage the kerning and with reflowable text this isn't possible.

This is my first ever (successful) conversion so please let me know if you find any problems !

Summary From Wikepedia :
The Bishop Murder Case (1928), was S. S. Van Dine's fourth mystery novel. In this book, Philo Vance, Van Dine's popular detective character, solves a mystery built around a nursery rhyme. The Bishop Murder Case seems to be not only the first nursery-rhyme mystery book, but the first of any sort of mystery novel constructed around a formal scheme.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-14-2008 at 09:58 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
This is my first ever (successful) conversion so please let me know if you find any problems !
It looks good in the simulator. I don't have the actual ebook reader to test on.

Nicely done!

You might want to query HarryT about the availability of his source files. The Book Designer software he and some other folks here use can output IMP files among other formats. Harry has posted tutorials elsewhere on use of BD, and links to get it are in the Wiki. (It's freeware.)

Since you want to contribute IMP versions of various texts, BD might be a good option for you.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ! i'm glad you like it !

thanks for the info also, i will definitely look into BD ! especially since i find eBook Publisher rather... hmm... complex. Plus i love a good tutorial.

I did see that HarryT has already made sony versions of these books actually but i don't want to ask him for his source files because part of the interest of these projects (for me) is learning how to use the formatting software, so for now i'd rather start more or less at the beginning. of course, i will probably be very happy to get shortcuts later on !
Old 02-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Thanks ! i'm glad you like it !
I have them all in Plucker format, converted from the PG AU HTML, so I don't need the IMP files or Harry's worthy contributions. But it's good to see someone actively trying to support a less used reader.

Quote:
thanks for the info also, i will definitely look into BD ! especially since i find eBook Publisher rather... hmm... complex. Plus i love a good tutorial.
BD has it's own quirks. It basically exports source files as HTML and gives you a WYSIWYG means of doing markup without having to know HTML.

But it does some diddling of the HTML it generates in ways I'd rather it didn't, like forcing justification on everything. You have to go in with a text editor and do a search-and-replace on the HTML files after you've marked up in BD to neuter that before building the book. (Mobipocker Reader, at least, makes justification an option in the reader -- no need to force it in the text.)

Quote:
I did see that HarryT has already made sony versions of these books actually but i don't want to ask him for his source files because part of the interest of these projects (for me) is learning how to use the formatting software, so for now i'd rather start more or less at the beginning. of course, i will probably be very happy to get shortcuts later on !
I just thought it might make the conversion of the other Philo Vance books to IMP a bit easier, but I understand your position.

I'm a fan of well crafted books, and have some paper editions I treasure. I'm delighted to see people attempting to bring a similar level of craftsmanship to electronic editions, within the limits imposed by the technology.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
BD has it's own quirks. It basically exports source files as HTML and gives you a WYSIWYG means of doing markup without having to know HTML.

But it does some diddling of the HTML it generates in ways I'd rather it didn't, like forcing justification on everything. You have to go in with a text editor and do a search-and-replace on the HTML files after you've marked up in BD to neuter that before building the book.
ha, well maybe i will stick to Publisher after all. i *do* know html, and i am pretty wary of wysiwyg because in my experience it generates messy code and i'd rather do clean code by hand. Publisher is possibly the least intuitive program i've used but i think i'm catching on, and the process is starting to make sense to me. i can do my own html or text formatting and just use publisher to generate the imp file. i'll still try it out just in case though.

Quote:
I'm a fan of well crafted books, and have some paper editions I treasure. I'm delighted to see people attempting to bring a similar level of craftsmanship to electronic editions, within the limits imposed by the technology.
yes, exactly : it's all about the craft. a book can be a beautiful thing, and there is no reason to sacrifice that for the other advantages of the electronic format. i can't wait to get a device with an e-ink screen to further improve my reading experience, but i'm waiting for the prices to go down a bit (and in the meantime i really love my eb1150, brilliant ergonomy).
Advert

Tags
illustrations, philo vance