Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Thumbs up Dingo - Noticeable Performance Boost, 9 hour LCD and 20 hour Reader battery life?!

Two of the biggest surprises I've found so far weren't even in the Release Notes.

The first is a nice (25%?) performance boost

The eDGe comes out of suspend about twice as fast. eInk sebook page turns are about 2-3 times faster. Apps performance is much snappier. In fact, I opened every app I had installed (about 20), and all of them (even the last few) opened very fast and had great performance. General performance has increased by perhaps only 25%, but responsiveness is much improved. This is my subjective experience, at least.

The second is dramatically improved (33-100%) battery life

In unscientific tests I’ve done in the past, I got 4-6 hours battery life using the LCD side with Wifi on, listening to music, browsing the web. My initial tests on Dingo suggest a battery life of 6-9 hours – that’s a 33-50% improvement. Similarly, I used to get about 10 hours battery life using just the eInk side with the LCD and wifi off. I’m now seeing 15-20 hours with Dingo – that’s a 50-100% improvement.

The first test I did by turning off the screen timeout, turning on WiFi, and launching a streaming radio app (DroidLive). After 3 hours I checked the amount of battery used and extrapolated to 6-9 hours for 100% battery drain.

The second test I did by locking the LCD screen (i.e., light off) and turning off WiFi. I occassionally flipped a page on the Reader. I didn't do annotations or highlighting, but I did use the LCD side briefly from time to time. Based on the battery usage over 3 hours, I extrapolated 15-20 hours of battery life.

Measuring battery life is a bit of a game, but under my test conditions I'm seeing a big gain. Your own mileage (umm... battery life) may vary

Last edited by borisb; 09-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
aidren
Edge User

Thanks for posting this. I thought I noticed a rather large gain last night, but it was very late, I was tired, and decided to look at it at a later date. I was online looking at youtube vids for several hours and when I, finally, packed it in noticed that the battery meter hadn't moved much at all, compared to previous experience.

Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Prior to Dingo, doing a full work/school day with the eDGe was iffy, and you really needed to pack a spare battery just in case, or keep the eDGe closed at every opportunity.

Now a full 8 hour day is definitely possible, although you would still benefit from closing the eDGe when not in use (but now just during lunch, for example, or when working on something else), or just having a 10 minute screen timeout.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Faster I noticed right away, improved battery life after using all day at school. It's great, I can make it through a class without stressing for power

Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
pat.indie
Edge User

I confirm both on my device; faster performance and longer battery

Also, I am noticing that all the apps that were opening in a small screen mode are now full screen...

That's great.

Last edited by pat.indie; 09-02-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
StevenP
Edge User

I noticed the improved battery life yesterday. I did not have it under heavy, use, though, so I'd like to see how it is when I am actually doing more with it.

I have really noticed the speed. Even if it's 25% that just helps make the system more useable. Can you imagine what Froyo's going to be like? If there are speed improvements there this thing'll smoke.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Also, I am noticing that all the apps that were opening in a small screen mode are now full screen...
I've noticed a couple of people mentioning this. These are apps you previously had installed - you didn't install a newer version, or a version that was run through the full-screen convertor?

If the eDGe is doing this automatically now, that's quite something!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I've noticed a couple of people mentioning this. These are apps you previously had installed - you didn't install a newer version, or a version that was run through the full-screen convertor?

If the eDGe is doing this automatically now, that's quite something!
Correct Boris, they are apps that were previously installed and formerly ran in small screen; it is really amazing.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
borisb
Edge User

The engineers must have a mischievious side - faster performance, improved battery life, automatic full screen conversion: these are all highly beneficial to us, yet no one mentioned them in the Release Notes

Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
pat.indie
Edge User

Yes, apps that were previously installed and worked in small screen mode.

Any experience in getting previously non-working apps to work?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
fgruber
Edge User

I didn't notice this until now. That is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
I confirm both on my device; faster performance and longer battery

Thanks great.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
kenjennings
Edge User

I noticed better performance.

I don't have any small screen apps that now (magically) open full screen. I notice the small screen apps open at the upper left of the LCD instead of centered at the top.

I haven't had time to test battery, but I noticed yesterday when operating on the power adapter the battery never got over 95%. Today the display says it is fully charged. Odd.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
LarsonMattr
Edge User

Yay, apps are all fullscreen! That's great... now.. to get that Android market working...

I'm going to try the emulator route for now, but it'd be fantastic if Google would show some kindness..

Old 09-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #14
emen
Edge User

I rarely use the battery, but I tested it yesterday. After 7h with wifi turned on, and LCD side on for like 60% of the time, the batery status was at 44%.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
robot
Edge User

I specially take time to benchmark it using those tools: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...90&postcount=5
To make words shot, theres no real speed improovements (exept some INTERFACE speed which is different from apps speed)

Pi test -- the lower is better.
Coyot : 9601
Dingo : 9710

Linpack test -- the bigger is better
Coyot: 2.984
Dingo: 2.955

As you see in reallity it's even a little slower. Also sad, but seems there's no OpenGL acceleration on EE.

As for battery life, I also didn't notice any improovements yet comparing it with my (unofficial) modification of Coyote. I'll continue to test it (just installed it yesterday), but don't think that it will last for 9 hours with display on full brightness while having software running.