Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
Kindle for Windows 8

I am trying to find my books which were downloaded using the Windows 8 Kindle App to put them into Calibre.

I read the forum, and looked for them in My Documents. It doesn't show up.

I also tried searching for "Kindle" or "AZW" and that doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Win8 App doesn't store books as separate files. Install the standard "Kindle for PC" program and use that instead; there's no problem having both installed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
Thank you very much.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I asked that a long time ago...yeah, it's not cool that they did that. lol
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I asked that a long time ago...yeah, it's not cool that they did that. lol
I wonder how long it'll be before they change the standard K4PC to do likewise?
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ If they do, I may just start looking at other stores for purchases.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I hope they don't. I really hate not having acess to the physical files. Hiding them from the user like that is a very Apple-like thing.

As discussed elsewhere, there are also other issues with the Win 8 app. I'll be using the "traditional" version for as long as possible (with automatic updates switched off).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
^ If they do, I may just start looking at other stores for purchases.
Do you actually READ on K4PC? All I use it for is as a way of getting my books into Calibre, and I can do that from the Kindle itself. Very slightly less conveniently, perhaps, but no big deal.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Do you actually READ on K4PC?
I read magazines, and some technical books, on my Windows 8 tablet. Obviously, it's not as convenient as a Kindle. But I really like the way the detailed charts in The Economist show up, for example.

But I take your point about getting books into Calibre directly from the device.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I read magazines, and some technical books, on my Windows 8 tablet. Obviously, it's not as convenient as a Kindle. But I really like the way the detailed charts in The Economist show up, for example.

But I take your point about getting books into Calibre directly from the device.

Mike
Good point, yes. I use my iPad for that, but a Windows 8 tablet is definitely on the near horizon for me, and that would be something I'd use it for.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Do you actually READ on K4PC? All I use it for is as a way of getting my books into Calibre, and I can do that from the Kindle itself. Very slightly less conveniently, perhaps, but no big deal.
It's a very big deal if the only Kindle you own is a Fire.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
For people who know what they are doing, this stuff will create problems. Apple started to put pictures into a database with the newer versions of iPhoto. Many people who import their pictures onto the computer using iPhoto could not find it on the hard disk, for use with Photoshop for example. Apple response: "You can export a picture from iPhoto." And that's it.

If Amazon is going to do something similar with the Kindle app, making sure I can't get at the files (for de-DRMing and backup), then I won't buy books from them.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-06-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
It's a very big deal if the only Kindle you own is a Fire.
But the person who said they would no longer buy from Amazon owns a Kindle Paperwhite.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Sometimes, people do things because of principle.

If Amazon could get away with it, you wouldn't even get a book. You'd download it page by page while reading, on both K4PC and the Kindle itself. I for one would *never* accept it. I'd rather go back to reading on paper.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Sometimes, people do things because of principle.

If Amazon could get away with it, you wouldn't even get a book. You'd download it page by page while reading, on both K4PC and the Kindle itself.
Do you have any actual evidence that this is what Amazon want, or is this merely paranoia?