Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
Pages go not in order

Strange behavior (another) on the KG. A book converted with Mobipocket Creator from Pdf through Calibre to epub. When on Page 130 and I want to flick to the next page, the KG goes to page 81, vice versa from page 81 back to 130.

I tried the same book with Moon+ Reader on a tablet, no problem book goes from page 130 to 131 as expected. So it seems not to be a problem of the Book but rather of the KG.

Please anybody knows how to solve that.

I am already very upset and annoyed with the KG because there are to many problems with it that disturb the reading flow.

Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have seen something like that a couple of times. In each case, there was a error in the epub. The Kobo device was actually displaying it correctly. Are these pages chapter or file breaks in the epub?

If you can post or send the epub, someone might be able to look at it and see what is wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

send to whom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have seen something like that a couple of times. In each case, there was a error in the epub. The Kobo device was actually displaying it correctly. Are these pages chapter or file breaks in the epub?

If you can post or send the epub, someone might be able to look at it and see what is wrong.
O.k. will post the epub and the pdf

thanks

Last edited by Elfuente; 01-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is one horrible conversion, or someone has fiddled with it afterwards. There is lots of text outside paragraph tags.

I found a couple of places that did what you describe. In each case, it was going to the beginning of the html file. I am fairly sure that what is happening is the structure of the html files is wrong. But, I don't know why the calibre conversion created this.

I tried a conversion and got a very different result. I didn't see this problem with it. One of the differences is that my version split on chapters. The structure of the html files is better, but I didn't try removing the page headings.

For your conversion, maybe try reducing the value of "Split files larger than".
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Elfuente
Enthusiast

cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

For your conversion, maybe try reducing the value of "Split files larger than".
It works now, the page 130 is now page134. I changed the "Split files larger than" to 120kb.
Just a few questions,
can I assume that this problem will happen with the other files I converted with the old value as well or can I rather expect that it is more unlikely that it happens frequently?

Why doesn´t this problem happen with an ebookreader like Moon+ Reader. It seems for me that the Kobo developers could here learn something (or better they should be exchanged).

anyway your suggestion helped to solve this problem.

thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I don't really know. If you hold the cursor over the field in the conversion settings, a tooltip gives some explanation. From that, I assume it is some sort of memory limit in the version of ADE that Kobo uses. The other thing is that there were some strange coding in the epub you uploaded. The rendering engine might have stumbled over those and not recovered. It is probably a combination of a few things and reducing the generated file is removing one of the stresses.