Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #31
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Quote:
2) I think the problem for me is all about my physical location. When I try to buy a book on the American Kindle Store, it says:

"XXX, please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase.

You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.

Are you traveling outside your country?
Please contact customer service in order to continue purchasing Kindle items.

Did you recently move to a new country?
You can easily update your country for your Amazon account."
As a Brazilian I can answer your question in a quite simple way. Prices from books bought in US are normally different from those in Latin America, aka Brazil (in our case).

What Amazon is telling is that we must pay, quite often, around US$ 2.00 higher than prices in US. And, you know, there's no VAT (ICMS) under books stuff in our country, Amazon just charges overprice on Latin America countries.

So, either you go through a proxy, either change your country (and price). Thanks Amazon!

:-(

Last edited by jglerner; 01-07-2012 at 04:30 PM.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
Landim
Landim began at the beginning.

Device: ipad and Galaxy S phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
I *think* the 3G use caused this. At least thats my personal pet theory about the infamous amazon mail. I have no real proof for it so far, but in every instance I've seen someone writing about it it involved using the 3g connection to download books.
Hi there, another Brazilian here.

Yesterday I got the infamous amazon email requesting my data. And I do not use the amazon 3g whispernet, I am using an iPad and my android phone. I bought the book at home using my wireless connection and although the purchase was completed I got the email this morning.

What I will do is erase all my Brazilian addresses and see. If it does not work, will try the proxy, if it is a no go, well... amazon is really pushing a payer to "alternative" downloads isn't it?
Landim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately I think the issue is that some people lie about their location. If it wasn't for this dishonest minority, Amazon wouldn't have to request proof of their location from honest users such as yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #34
Landim
Landim began at the beginning.

Device: ipad and Galaxy S phone
Besides the point you have made, which is true, is there a logical explanation for it? Is there a reason besides what we have talked about or is just a new dogma you just made for amazon not selling specifics digital books abroad?

Thank you.
Landim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #35
Clau
Enthusiast
Clau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
It's matter of copyright and taxes. Amazon is just trying to avoid potential legal problems.
Clau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clau View Post
It's matter of copyright and taxes. Amazon is just trying to avoid potential legal problems.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with copyright.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #37
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
So would the same the methods apply to buy e-books from the UK by somebody in the US?

This isn't just a one-way street...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #38
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has nothing whatsoever to do with copyright.
Actually it has <everything> to do with copyright. Copyright holder X sold the rights to a particular market to company A, another market to company B, and still another market to company C. Amazon in market B can't sell to anybody in market A or C without infringing on the other companies rights. hence the geographic restrictions.

If there were no copyright on the work, there wouldn't be any rights to sell...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Actually it has <everything> to do with copyright. Copyright holder X sold the rights to a particular market to company A, another market to company B, and still another market to company C. Amazon in market B can't sell to anybody in market A or C without infringing on the other companies rights. hence the geographic restrictions.

If there were no copyright on the work, there wouldn't be any rights to sell...
You misunderstand me. Yes, of course it's a consequence of the book being protected by copyright, but the reason for geographical restriction is, as you say, that the terms of the publisher's book distribution contract restrict them to selling in specific parts of the worlds. It's a contractual issue, not a copyright issue.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #40
cliq
Nameless Being

We need a solution here... thanks I am also having a problem buying free kindle books from amazon even with the proxy thing.

Last edited by cliq; 07-01-2012 at 01:37 PM.