Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Arfer
Arfer began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Synchronising

I have a Sony PRS 505 reader, its Library software and Calibre.

I gather that they cannot be "synced" together.

How may I catalogue the ebooks etc in the 3 places? The Sony reader I gather "collects" files from all over my PC, the Reader stores them internally and Calibre has a subfolder structure by Author then title.

I know that a long slog through by hand would work, but surely there's a better way?
Arfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfer View Post
I have a Sony PRS 505 reader, its Library software and Calibre.

I gather that they cannot be "synced" together.

How may I catalogue the ebooks etc in the 3 places? The Sony reader I gather "collects" files from all over my PC, the Reader stores them internally and Calibre has a subfolder structure by Author then title.

I know that a long slog through by hand would work, but surely there's a better way?
Based on my experience while using the Sony Reader Library (SRL), it doesn't modify or move files when you add them to the library. Instead, the item in the library acts as a pointer to the actual file. If you modify the file (such as changing its name and/or moving it), it won't modify the file's pointer in the library but the SRL will be unable to locate the file. Anytime I make a change to a file, I delete the old pointer and re-add the ebook to the SRL to ensure that the current version is loaded.

I recently tried Calibre. Rather than manually adding individual files to Calibre, I searched for all of my ebook files (it was fairly simple since I keep my ebooks in one folder and in one format), copied them into a temporary folder, added the contents of that folder to Calibre (which duplicates the files into its own folder), and then deleted the temporary folder. Although it took a some time and I had to delete a few unwanted files, it was both easier and faster than manually adding the files.

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert