Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Need Advice re: Kite Runner

Anybody read this one? A good friend recommended it. Would appreciate some feedback.

Author is Khaled Hosseini
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I read it a while back. It was excellent but be forewarned; there is a brutal male on male rape scene.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
This was one of those books that I got about three-quarters of the way through before I thought, "Why?" Although the writing was good, the book just depressed me so bad, and from what I knew about it even before I read it, I knew that I wasn't likely to be any less depressed when I finished it. If I'm not going to be actually entertained or enthralled by a book, I at least want to learn something from it, and that didn't seem to be happening for me. But, as always, YMMV, because I'm not a big fan of that category of books I call "Oprah books," which always seem to feature someone with a wretched life story trying to find some redemption in the end. I've read plenty of sad books in my time, but now I want something a little different. Only my opinion, though, and lots of people love this book. :-)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Apollo
Apollo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The Kiterunner is a brilliant tale of friendship, betrayal and a self-need for redemption. It's one of the few novels you'll remember throughout your life. The "rape scene" arguably isn't the most potent segment in terms of its ability to draw emotions from the reader. Once you finish the story you'll be wondering whether or not someone can truly redeem their past sins and if you, the reader, can ever forgive them. If there was one book I'd recommend anyone it would be this
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I read the book about three years ago and really loved it! I felt that it "introduced" me to Afghanistan, above and beyond the newspaper level.

Edit: Speaking about Afghanistan, I read another excellent novel recently that takes place in that country, "The Wasted Vigil" by Nadeem Aslan. I found it very impressive in the way it describes the brutal reality there, it is hard to imagine for me how people can bear to live like that.

Last edited by lila55; 07-30-2010 at 01:00 AM.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I read it and enjoyed it very much .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Although Kite Runner is quite brutal in sections it's nothing compared to Khaled Hosseinis second book A Thousand Splendid Suns which makes you question humanity. This book got me seriously upset and was quite depressing.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
A remarkable piece of work. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I haven't read it, but a lady in my book club did and she didn't care for it. She said it was not at all what she expected.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Anybody read this one? A good friend recommended it. Would appreciate some feedback.

Author is Khaled Hosseini
Loved it.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
IMO, the writing is crap and does not justify having to bear the brutal story. BUT it seems I'm in a minority, so you should probably ignore me

There is absolutely no subtlety in the writing, nothing is left to the imagination, nothing is suggested, even the obvious is painstakingly laid out. I cannot stand that kind of writing, but most people don't seem to mind. If you're like me, don't bother with this book, otherwise just ignore this post.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Although Kite Runner is quite brutal in sections it's nothing compared to Khaled Hosseinis second book A Thousand Splendid Suns which makes you question humanity. This book got me seriously upset and was quite depressing.
- I cried at a Thousand Splendid Suns
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
JBNY
JBNY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel, iPad
I thought the book was well written, but ultimately I didn't really like it. The book looks as if it will follow a very well used literary path, child born into privilege, has some bad things happen in his youth, is forced to flee, spends time in another land, then returns to his boyhood home for redemption and over coming his boyhood fears, while learning that seeing things through adult eyes casts a different picture of his childhood. But in this story nothing seems to work out in the end for the protagonist. I felt at the close of the book, that it was sort of like well what's the point?

I felt the book did do a good job of introducing a different culture to readers who might not know anything about it.
JBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Okay, I'll give it a go and post my thoughts here.

Thanks all.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Haven't read the Kite runner but am thinking of reading it. I have read A thousand Splendid suns by the same author and that was an emotional exprience. If I think about it for too long I get teary eyed. I remember reading it in the library at uni and crying in public.

I've actually seen the film version of the Kite Runner. I enjoyed it but the rape scene was way too much. I wanted to turn the film off after that but stayed with it.

I think I will go and buy it now as it seems to have good reviews. I hope it will be as good as a thousand splendid suns.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote