Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Canti: Manga Processing Program

(visit http://www.bitcake.com/ for latest version, now available with a gui!)

(this feature list applies to the latest version of Canti, the versions in this thread will not have all these features)
-Feature List-
+Image processing:
-Scale width/height (always maintains original aspect ratio)
-Auto trim white space around a scan
-Auto chop white rows and columns within a scan
-Auto rotate scans to desired landscape/portrait orientation
-Full color, grayscale, or grayscale color table
-Specify # of colors
-Change source image format
-Add border after processing to fill specified width/height
-Reduce to maximum dpi
+Supported input sources:
-Single folder of images
-Single .zip/.cbz
-Single .rar/.cbr (Note: Must have compatible unrar program installed on your system. See readme for details)
-Single .pdf
-A folder/archive containing any number of the above items, allowing you to process an entire manga series with one command.
+Supported input image formats:
-Pretty much anything that ImageMagick supports. It’s safe to assume that all major image formats are supported: .jpg, .bmp, .gif, .png, etc…
+Supported output formats:
-Folder of images (any image format supported by ImageMagick should be ok)
-.zip/.cbz
-.rar/.cbr (Note: Must have compatible rar program installed on your system. See readme for details)
-.pdf (including right-to-left page ordering)
-.epub (including right-to-left page ordering)
+Binding
-Binding allows you to combine multiple input sources into a single output
-Three ways to use binding:
-Auto bind chapters into volumes based on interpreted volume-chapter info
-Auto bind groups of a specified size
-Create a bind file to manually specify which chapters to bind into a single volume
+Auto split landscape 2-page scans
-Can detect whether a landscape scan contains two separate pages and split them accordingly
-Tries not to split landscape 2-page scans where the two pages form one big image
+Volume-chapter interpretation:
-Automatically interpret volume-chapter info from sources
-Bind chapters of the same volume (and create a fake volume binding for the latest chapters not yet released in tankobon)
-Supports a large variety of source organization, including:
-Nested folders/archives/pdfs
-Determine volume from parent hierarchy
-Determine volume from observed bounds of a volume’s chapters
-Detect special chapters and a/b chapters
-Conflict resolution (both automatic and manual) when multiple sources map to the same volume-chapter
+Generate a settings file for a variety of ereader devices
-Optimal settings stored for many of the top ereader devices:
-Amazon: kdx, k3, k2, k1
-Apple: ipad
-B&N: nook
-Sony: prs-900, prs-700, prs-650, prs-600, prs-505, prs-500, prs-300
-iRex: iliad, dr800, dr1000
-Ectaco: jb, jbl
-Kobo: kobo2, kobo1
-Can also generate a default settings file if Canti doesn’t know the optimal settings for your particular ereader device
-Any setting can be changed by the user to meet his/her needs
+Multithreading:
-Mixed folder/image-level multithreading, allowing you to process multiple folders and images in parallel
-Automatically determines the number of threads to use based on detected cpu cores and workload (you can also manually specify the number of threads)
+Other operations:
-Organize: organizes manga collection by interpreting volume-chapter info without processing images
-Analyze manga collection: returns statistics such as # of file types, # scans, file space usage, etc.
-Analyze manga folder: returns statistics such as width, height, and dpi of each image in the folder
-Create Canti batch file (available in the CLI only): creates a script to process your entire manga collection using Canti
+Job management (available in the GUI only):
-Save a job so that you can run it again later (useful if you have added new chapters to a series)

Read the included readme.txt for installation and usage instructions.

Enjoy and let me know if it works for you

(visit http://www.bitcake.com/ for latest version, now available with a gui!)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.81F2.zip (77.0 KB, 807 views)

Last edited by lilman; 05-30-2011 at 02:37 PM.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Hehe, how many times is this thread going to be moved around? This started in the iRex forum, but I guess they weren't interested in it... oh well.

Anyway, here's Canti v1.82

Note from the author: I tested this version on my entire digital manga collection, so I can confirm this is a very stable release.

New to version 1.82:
-Improved image handling stability
ImageMagick is a whole lot better at handling images than native Java libraries, so I've added in a preprocessing stage to let ImageMagick fix any weird data within images before letting Java take a whack at them.
Currently, Java image handling is only used for landscape 2-page split detection. In case Java still has trouble interpreting an image after ImageMagick has processed it, Canti will simply ignore trying to split that scan (in the past, Canti would have crashed).
-Bug fix: @del_output_image_folders didn't always work correctly in Windows
Geez, I thought I fixed this before, but it still occasionally fails to delete an output folder on Windows machines. I added in one more layer of defense. After that, if there is still a folder left in the output directory, you can delete it yourself :P
-Improved auto sense suffix
I changed the naming scheme of auto sense suffix to make it better able to handle reprocessing a manga series.
Before, auto sense suffix would expand all suffix names to match the length of the longest suffix. For example:
Random_Manga_-_Ch.001 <-- added two extra 0's to match longest length of three
Random_Manga_-_Ch.015.5 <-- added an extra 0 to match longest length of three (decimal and characters after the decimal don't count towards length)
Random_Manga_-_Ch.100 <-- longest length (three characters)
Although this makes the filenames line up nicely, it can be a problem if you add manga to your collection and the longest suffix length changes.
The new auto sense suffix method is to make each suffix as short as possible. For example:
Random_Manga_-_Ch.1
Random_Manga_-_Ch.15.5
Random_Manga_-_Ch.100
In this way, if the length of the longest suffix changes, the filenames will not be affected (and thus you won't have to worry about reprocessing the same manga using a different name).

If you want to fix the suffixes of manga processed with previous version of Canti to match the new naming scheme, you can use the attached FixSuffixes tool. Just run:
java -jar FixSuffixes.jar [path to processed manga folder]
For example:
java -jar FixSuffixes.jar C:\\Manga\\SchoolRumble\\
Will only take an instant to rename all the files in the specified folder to the new naming scheme.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.82.zip (78.6 KB, 443 views)
File Type: zip FixSuffixes.zip (18.7 KB, 417 views)

Last edited by lilman; 07-14-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.83

New to version 1.83:
-Bug fix: Potential crash when trying to determine the file extension of a file with no extension
Oops, left the potential for a NullPointerException if Canti tries to determine the extension of a file which has no extension. Problem has been fixed.
-Bug fix: Can't create .properties file for certain Sony devices
Canti had the incorrect filenames for the default .properties files of several Sony devices. This was easily fixed.
-Auto sense suffix length
In the last release of Canti, the naming scheme for auto sense suffix changed (see the notes for v1.82 for details). I've added @auto_sense_suffix_length for those that preferred the previous auto sense suffix naming scheme.
@auto_sense_suffix_length is the number of digits to use when auto sensing the suffix of folders. An auto sensed suffix whose length is less than this value will be padded with leading 0's.
The length of a suffix is the number of digits before the decimal. For example, 1.999 has a length of one, 01.999 has a length of two.
Acceptable values: -1 (to disable), or an integer greater than or equal to 1
Recomended: -1 (if you don't want to pad the auto sensed suffix) or 4 (if you want to pad, 4 digits should be enough to handle most series (how many series have more than 9999 issues?))
This is set up in the .properties file.

Enjoy and let me know if this works for you
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.83.zip (79.6 KB, 407 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Sorry it seems not working... maybe I've done something wrong:

Code:
F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.TESTSP3\My Documents\Downloads\Canti_v1.
83>java -jar Canti.jar -parent_folder "E:\\Fumetti\\Identity Crisis\\1" -title "
Crisi"

Using these settings stored in Canti.properties:
  width (in pixels):  600
  height (in pixels): 800
  maximum dpi: 170
  auto trim: true
    trim fuzz: 15%
  auto rotate: true
  color mode: grayscale
  num colors: 256
  pdf chapters: true
    pdf r to l: false
  archive chapters: false
  epub chapters: false
  auto bind: false
  auto split landscape scans: true
    split right page first: true
    allow auto split color scans: false
    auto split gray strictness: 0.8
    auto split color strictness: 0.9
    auto sense landacape folders: true
  manga prefix: auto
  archive input image folders: false
  delete output image folders: true
  image format: .jpg
  kindle bookmark: false
  comic zeal naming: false
  ImageMagick home directory: F:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.3-Q16\

Testing rar handler...
  Can unrar: true
  Can rar: true

parent_folder E:\Fumetti\Identity Crisis\1 is a directory that did not contain a
ny subfolders, so running in single folder mode.

Copying files to new folders...
Converting all manga scans using ImageMagick...
  Processing folder: Crisi_-_1...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String
        at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Double.parseDouble(Unknown Source)
        at common.image.ImageMagick.getImageData(ImageMagick.java:166)
        at common.image.ImageMagick.processImage(ImageMagick.java:112)
        at manga.ConvertManga.main(ConvertManga.java:1514)
What string is empty?

I've to manually extract the cbr because it had a folder inside and Canti says "there was no image on it", but they were
Maybe there some character conversion too the title (in italian) is "Crisi di Identità" the "à" is (in the windows command prompt at least) a sort of "alpha" letter... JAVA does not use "UTF-8"?
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
lilman
Addict

fanoI, try renaming the parent_folder path to not include any spaces. For example:
Code:
java -jar Canti.jar -parent_folder "E:\\Fumetti\\Identity_Crisis\\1" -title "Crisi"
If that doesn't fix it then pm me a link to download that cbr and I will see what I can do.
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.84

New to version 1.84:
-Use original filenames
Canti uses -title, -manga_prefix, and a suffix (either auto sensed or size specified by -num_chars_keep_suffix) to form the output filenames.
The basic naming scheme is: [title]_-_[manga_prefix][suffix], for example: School_Rumble_-_Ch.1
@use_original_filenames allows you to use the original filenames of the source manga as the output filenames. This can be especially useful if your source files are not named in a way that auto sense suffix can handle (i.e. they don't end with the chapter or volume number).
This option supersedes the default of using auto sense suffix but can be disabled at runtime by specifying -num_chars_keep_suffix [integer]
This is set up in the .properties file.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.84.zip (80.1 KB, 380 views)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
mattepiu
mattepiu began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Thank you!

Really nice program, I'm actually using it however I have a couple suggestions:
1) Spaces into filenames is really an ugly bug and I'm quite sure there's some way java can handle them, for example with bash you should enclose filenames variables in "" (see below).
2) Would be great to have some command line option more, like one for where to find the profile file and some for the most used parameters like width/dpi/colors
3) Resize is great but not if page is already smaller than values given, imagemagick has an option to "Only Shrink Larger Images" that's like : "-resize 64x64\>" where the "\>" tells imagemagick to only shrink.... it's already used? (I found it here)

For now I'm using it through linux and this is my bash script to bypass spaces issue, need to customize CANTIDIR and then converts pdf into cbz:
Code:
CUR=$(pwd)
#Select here the directory where you put Canti.jar and profile file
CANTIDIR="/mnt/xmedia/ecomics/Canti"

ALPHA=$(basename "$1")
BETA=${ALPHA%%.*}
GAMMA=temp
ZETA=$(dirname "$1")
cd "$ZETA"
TETA="${ALPHA// /_}"
ETETA="${TETA%%.*}"
mkdir temp
if [ "x$2" == "x" ]; then
convert "$1" "temp/%04d.jpg"
else
convert -density $2 "$1" "temp/%04d.jpg" || exit 1
fi
cd "$CANTIDIR"
java -jar "Canti.jar" -parent_folder "$ZETA/temp" -title "$ETETA"
mv "$ZETA/OUT/$ETETA.cbz" "$ZETA/"
rm -rf "$ZETA/OUT"
rm -rf "$ZETA/temp"
again

Last edited by mattepiu; 07-28-2010 at 08:22 AM.
mattepiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
lilman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattepiu View Post
Really nice program, I'm actually using it however I have a couple suggestions:
1) Spaces into filenames is really an ugly bug and I'm quite sure there's some way java can handle them, for example with bash you should enclose filenames variables in "" (see below).
That no spaces in path restriction is a real pita. If I remember right (and I may not as I had to handle this a long time ago) the problem was with the way Java calls ImageMagick as an external program. So it isn't a bug in Java or IM but rather the combination of the two. Or it may have been one of those things that works in linux but not in windows. If I have time I'll look into it again.

Quote:
2) Would be great to have some command line option more, like one for where to find the profile file and some for the most used parameters like width/dpi/colors
I'll consider adding an option for specifying the .properties file location. Someone else has requested this feature as well.
-Edit- I've coded this feature, it will be included in the next release.

I think an early version of Canti had more command line options, but I removed them because I try to keep things as simple as possible for non-technical users. Because this program is designed to process manga for a specified ereader device, the average user shouldn't need to adjust values at runtime like width, height, ... basically anything that is under the ImageMagick keys section of the .properties file.

Quote:
3) Resize is great but not if page is already smaller than values given, imagemagick has an option to "Only Shrink Larger Images" that's like : "-resize 64x64\>" where the "\>" tells imagemagick to only shrink.... it's already used? (I found it here)
That's the opposite behavior than what I wanted for Canti. I like smaller images to be expanded to take full advantage of the size of an ereader screen, and I don't mind if an image is too big because a larger image will allow you to zoom in and maintain quality. The way it works now is that if you specify a width and height then all images will be resized accordingly (maintaining aspect ratio, of course). You can also set width and height to -1 and the images will not be resized (I use that setting for my iPad since most of my scans are larger than the iPad screen, and the iPad is great at zooming).

Last edited by lilman; 07-28-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

Device: Jetbook Lite, Droid Eris
Thanks for this!

Seems like a "no duh" here but though I'd mention:

This won't work if Java Development kit isn't installed, since the java command in Cprompt won't do anything. Don't ask why Java wasn't on the computer I was using.

For anyone having trouble with this (basically the java command does nothing in Cprompt):
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/...ndows-cmd.html

That being said, what setting would you recommend for for Jet Book Lite?
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
lilman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi View Post
Seems like a "no duh" here but though I'd mention:
This won't work if Java Development kit isn't installed
Thanks, I never did mention that in the readme. I take it for granted that most computers already have java installed. I think you need at least java v1.5, but most people probably already have v1.6 because java is pretty good at annoying you with "update available" messages. I'll add the java requirement to the readme.

Quote:
That being said, what setting would you recommend for for Jet Book Lite?
First, make a default .properties file using the command:
Code:
java -jar Canti.jar -create_properties default
Based off of what I've read from the mobileread wiki for this ereader, I would change the following default settings (the other default settings should be fine):
Code:
width = 480
height = 640
max_dpi = 160
archive = false
I'll go ahead and include these settings as a default jbl .properties profile in the next release of Canti. Based off my experience with Kindle I think pdf manga works better than image folders, but try both and see which works best on the jbl. If you come up with better default jbl settings, please pm me.

-Edit-
I added the default .properties profiles for JetBook and JetBook Lite. They will be included in the next release of Canti. If anyone else has an ereader request, just point me to a web page with the ereader specs (width/height, dpi, supported formats, etc.) and I'll add the .properties profile for it to Canti.

Last edited by lilman; 08-03-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

So far, it's worked good now that I've gotten the hang of using it, but so far, it's not wanting to process cbr files. I was testing it on a collection of deadpool comics, and while the cbz files were fine, the cbrs just didn't process.

Code:
C:\Canti_v1.84>java -jar canti.jar -parent_folder c:\manga -title "Deadpool" -ou
tput_folder c:\done

Using these settings stored in Canti.properties:
  width (in pixels):  600
  height (in pixels): 800
  maximum dpi: 170
  auto trim: true
    trim fuzz: 15%
  auto rotate: true
  color mode: grayscale
  num colors: 256
  pdf chapters: true
    pdf r to l: false
  archive chapters: true
    archive format: .cbz
  epub chapters: false
  auto bind: false
  auto split landscape scans: true
    split right page first: true
    allow auto split color scans: false
    auto split gray strictness: 0.8
    auto split color strictness: 0.9
    auto sense landacape folders: true
  manga prefix: auto
  use original filenames: false
  archive input image folders: false
  delete output image folders: false
  image format: .jpg
  kindle bookmark: false
  comic zeal naming: false
  ImageMagick home directory: C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.3-Q16\

Testing rar handler...

Extracting archives in -parent_folder...
  Found 5 rar archives, extracting to temporary folders...
parent_folder c:\manga is a directory that did not contain any subfolders, so ru
nning in single folder mode.

Ignoring folder c:\manga because it has no image files.

Copying files to new folders...
Converting all manga scans using ImageMagick...

Finished.
Total time: 0 secs
I have both winrar and 7zip so my computer can unzip rars, but it won't work. Any advice?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
lilman
Addict

Quote:
So far, it's worked good now that I've gotten the hang of using it, but so far, it's not wanting to process cbr files. I was testing it on a collection of deadpool comics, and while the cbz files were fine, the cbrs just didn't process.
This bit of output here:
Code:
Testing rar handler...
indicates that Canti was able to find a rar and unrar handler (on Windows, Canti only looks to see if you have Winrar installed). Given that it found Winrar, it should have been able to unarchive the .cbr files to image folders, but then Canti reports that it couldn't find any folders in c:\manga

Would it be possible for you to upload one or more of those .cbr files? This is kinda hard to debug without having them in front of me. You can use a free file service like megaupload.com and then pm me the download link (don't post the link here as comics are copyrighted... I'll delete it once I'm done testing).

Last edited by lilman; 08-04-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

I found something of a bug, I think.

When you set the program to auto bind, it looks at ALL the folders in the output folder, but binds from however many folders you had in the input.

Example:

I have, in my output folder, three folders that I sort things into when I finish binding. So i have:
-cbz
-images
-pdf

Let's say i am adding 5 folders to convert, but I have auto bind set to 4. This puts in my output folder:
-cbz
-images
-pdf
-test_-_1
-test_-_2
-test_-_3
-test_-_4
-test_-_5

When the program binds, it looks for 5 folders, but not the 5 it just converted, so it tries to bind together:
-cbz
-images
-pdf
-test_-_1

then for volume 2, it has
-test_-_2

Since it only converted 5 manga, Test 3-5 were completely ignored (6, 7, and 8 as far as folder numbers were concerned)

I noticed this when I tested it and had something that was alphabetically before test, so vol.1 was a manga that was already in the folder.

If there's no other folders in the output folder, it works perfectly fine.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

oh, another thing. Since it takes out the zeros in numbering...

Beginning binding...
Binding folders:
Solanin_-_1
Solanin_-_10
Solanin_-_11
Solanin_-_12
to form Solanin_-_Vol.1...

:<
Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
lilman
Addict

Quote:
I found something of a bug, I think.

When you set the program to auto bind, it looks at ALL the folders in the output folder, but binds from however many folders you had in the input.
Good call. I think the auto bind code got a little broken along the way, but I think I fixed it.

Quote:
When the program binds, it looks for 5 folders, but not the 5 it just converted, so it tries to bind together:
-cbz
-images
-pdf
-test_-_1

then for volume 2, it has
-test_-_2
Auto bind should only bind image folders. That's really bizarre if it is picking up anything that is not a folder... looking at the code I'm not even sure how that is possible. I'm using Java's built in file handling to determine whether a file is a folder or not. Try auto bind again when I release the next Canti version and see if it still is binding anything other than folders (note that this includes temporary folders, as anything Canti processes is in image folder format at some point).

Quote:
oh, another thing. Since it takes out the zeros in numbering...

Beginning binding...
Binding folders:
Solanin_-_1
Solanin_-_10
Solanin_-_11
Solanin_-_12
to form Solanin_-_Vol.1...

:<
I'll look into this. I sort alphabetically using the Java built-in Collections class, but I'm pretty sure that should handle the case you mentioned correctly.