Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Canti: Manga Processing Program

(visit http://www.bitcake.com/ for latest version, now available with a gui!)

(this feature list applies to the latest version of Canti, the versions in this thread will not have all these features)
-Feature List-
+Image processing:
-Scale width/height (always maintains original aspect ratio)
-Auto trim white space around a scan
-Auto chop white rows and columns within a scan
-Auto rotate scans to desired landscape/portrait orientation
-Full color, grayscale, or grayscale color table
-Specify # of colors
-Change source image format
-Add border after processing to fill specified width/height
-Reduce to maximum dpi
+Supported input sources:
-Single folder of images
-Single .zip/.cbz
-Single .rar/.cbr (Note: Must have compatible unrar program installed on your system. See readme for details)
-Single .pdf
-A folder/archive containing any number of the above items, allowing you to process an entire manga series with one command.
+Supported input image formats:
-Pretty much anything that ImageMagick supports. It’s safe to assume that all major image formats are supported: .jpg, .bmp, .gif, .png, etc…
+Supported output formats:
-Folder of images (any image format supported by ImageMagick should be ok)
-.zip/.cbz
-.rar/.cbr (Note: Must have compatible rar program installed on your system. See readme for details)
-.pdf (including right-to-left page ordering)
-.epub (including right-to-left page ordering)
+Binding
-Binding allows you to combine multiple input sources into a single output
-Three ways to use binding:
-Auto bind chapters into volumes based on interpreted volume-chapter info
-Auto bind groups of a specified size
-Create a bind file to manually specify which chapters to bind into a single volume
+Auto split landscape 2-page scans
-Can detect whether a landscape scan contains two separate pages and split them accordingly
-Tries not to split landscape 2-page scans where the two pages form one big image
+Volume-chapter interpretation:
-Automatically interpret volume-chapter info from sources
-Bind chapters of the same volume (and create a fake volume binding for the latest chapters not yet released in tankobon)
-Supports a large variety of source organization, including:
-Nested folders/archives/pdfs
-Determine volume from parent hierarchy
-Determine volume from observed bounds of a volume’s chapters
-Detect special chapters and a/b chapters
-Conflict resolution (both automatic and manual) when multiple sources map to the same volume-chapter
+Generate a settings file for a variety of ereader devices
-Optimal settings stored for many of the top ereader devices:
-Amazon: kdx, k3, k2, k1
-Apple: ipad
-B&N: nook
-Sony: prs-900, prs-700, prs-650, prs-600, prs-505, prs-500, prs-300
-iRex: iliad, dr800, dr1000
-Ectaco: jb, jbl
-Kobo: kobo2, kobo1
-Can also generate a default settings file if Canti doesn’t know the optimal settings for your particular ereader device
-Any setting can be changed by the user to meet his/her needs
+Multithreading:
-Mixed folder/image-level multithreading, allowing you to process multiple folders and images in parallel
-Automatically determines the number of threads to use based on detected cpu cores and workload (you can also manually specify the number of threads)
+Other operations:
-Organize: organizes manga collection by interpreting volume-chapter info without processing images
-Analyze manga collection: returns statistics such as # of file types, # scans, file space usage, etc.
-Analyze manga folder: returns statistics such as width, height, and dpi of each image in the folder
-Create Canti batch file (available in the CLI only): creates a script to process your entire manga collection using Canti
+Job management (available in the GUI only):
-Save a job so that you can run it again later (useful if you have added new chapters to a series)

Read the included readme.txt for installation and usage instructions.

Enjoy and let me know if it works for you

(visit http://www.bitcake.com/ for latest version, now available with a gui!)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.1_iPad.zip (21.8 KB, 468 views)

Last edited by lilman; 05-30-2011 at 02:39 PM.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Slight bug fix. Grayscale wasn't working... a problem for Kindle DX owners like me, but you iPad guys didn't care :P Well, here's v1.1a. I'm considering getting an iPad and how manga looks on it will be very important to me. If anyone would be willing to test out some manga, maybe take a pic or two, that would be much appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.1a_iPad.zip (21.8 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by lilman; 04-08-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
lilman
Addict

Just a heads up v1.2 will be released soon. The coding is already done, I just need to test it more to make sure there are no bugs.

This will probably be the last release since I don't know what else to put into the program, unless I get an iPad in which case I will probably be able to better tailor this program to the device. I may eventually make a gui, but I truly do hate making java gui's. Well, look forward to Canti v1.2, should be arriving tomorrow.

Last edited by lilman; 04-13-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
lilman
Addict

Ok, that was harder than I thought. I had to rewrite most of the main code to get binding working right. Here's probably the final release of Canti, v1.2.

New to version 1.2:
-Binding
Binding allows you to easily combine chapters into volumes while still keeping your original manga chapter folders intact.
See the included bind.txt for instructions on setting up a bind file.
-Can specify zip format (either .zip or .cbz)
I figured some comic programs might like the .cbz extension better. This option is set in the .properties file.
-Changed command line parameters
I changed some of the command line parameters, so run 'java -jar ConvertManga.jar' to see the list of new commands.
-Other random tweaks
I rewrote a good chunk of the code. Lots of error handling and other nice stuff. For example, let's say you already converted a lot of manga but you added a few more chapters to your collection. The program is smart enough not to reprocess manga that has already been processed (a big timesaver). Also, if you already processed your manga but decide that you wanted it to be pdffed or zipped, just turn those options on and run the program again. It knows not to reprocess the manga again... it will go straight to pdffing and/or zipping.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.2_iPad.zip (25.7 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by lilman; 04-13-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
lilman
Addict

Small update. If you downloaded v1.2 you can just overwrite the .jar and .properties file with these. No need to reprocess your manga.

And if you already processed your manga but now want to use auto-binding, just turn on auto-binding and run the program again... it won't waste time processing manga, it will go straight to the binding.

New to version 1.3:
-Auto-Binding
Same as binding, except you don't create a bind file. Instead, you just specify a single size for all bindings (for example, all bindings could have 10 folders in them).
This is set up in the .properties file.

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.3_iPad.zip (25.5 KB, 346 views)
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
mate this sounds great, will have a look into it over the next few days.

thanks
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
lilman
Addict

I am working on adding epub support so that you can add your manga to your iTunes library. The code should be done in 2-3 days, but seeing as I don't have an iPad and this is my first experience with epubs I could really use a beta tester(s). So if you have any epub experience and are interested in testing send me a pm and I will send you the beta when I finish it. Most likely the epub will need a tweak in the xhtml and/or stylesheet in order to get it looking right on the iPad.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
lilman
Addict

I didn't get any testers for epub support so I'm just going to release the open beta.

New to version 1.4:
-Epub
This is in BETA! I do not have an iPad and so I have no idea how this will look on one.
I wanted to add epub support so that you could add your manga to your iTunes library, making it easier to sync (and also so you could view it in iBooks).
This is my first experience with epubs and I wrote the code from reading epub tutorials online. A lot of this is guess work and therefore will most likely not work perfectly.
If you have any epub experience and know how to make these epubs work better on the ipad, please pm me on mobileread.com (my username is lilman). Thanks!
Note that there is no binding support for epubs yet.
-Bug fix: Fixed changing page_filename_length after processing manga will correctly rename image filenames when binding (I know, you probably would have never noticed this, but I did and it bothered me :P)

-Edit-
v1.4 code taken down due to bug. Download latest version below V

Last edited by lilman; 04-25-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
lilman
Addict

Slight bug fix, sorry about that. If you downloaded v1.4, download this and overwrite the old files.

And please leave some feedback if you can. Not "thanks" or "I hate you"... just let me know if the program works for you and how the manga it produces looks on the iPad.

New to version 1.4a:
Fixed an error in the toc.ncx file of the epubs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.4a_iPad.zip (32.3 KB, 311 views)
Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
lilman
Addict

So my parents surprised me with an iPad yesterday... my parents are awesome, I am so freaking stoked! The first thing I tried was some Canti processed manga. The pdfs (using goodreader) and images (using built in photo viewer) look great. For some reason the photo viewer shows the images in reverse order... does it know this is manga :P I'll have to play with it more to see if i can fix it.

The one thing I couldn't get working was the epubs. I synced them using iTunes, but when I open up iBooks they aren't there. Has anyone had any luck getting the epubs from Canti to work on the iPad?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
lilman
Addict

Now that I have an iPad to play with, I've had a chance to test out what's the best way to view manga on it. I've decided to give up on epub development as manga on the iPad is best experienced in a comic reader such as ComicZeal. I will finish the binding for epub code since it is almost done, but after that I am done with epubs.

I've found the optimal settings for iPad manga to be:
-Leave width and height of the original scans alone. No need to reduce them to 1024x768 as the larger images are better to zoom on. The current version of Canti doesn't support leaving the width and height unspecified, but the next version will (I already coded it).
-Still trim white space and autorotate
-I'll leave pdf output on be default (since it doesn't take up much processing time and pdf manga looks great in apps such as Goodreader), but I highly recommend using .cbz zip archives and a comic reader (I use ComicZeal).

v1.5 should be released in the next 1-2 days. Aside from the features listed above, it will also add single folder mode so that you can specify a single folder of manga to process rather than batch processing an organized collection of manga.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.5

My parents surprised me with an iPad (they are awesome!) so now I have one to test manga on. Manga looks great on the iPad, and I've changed the defaults in the .properties file to reflect the best settings for the iPad. Also, for iPad users I recommend getting a reader app such as Goodreader for pdf manga, or better yet ComicZeal for cbz manga (that's what I use). I wrote a comparison of those two apps here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=14

New to version 1.5:
-Single folder mode
Instead of batch processing a collection of organized manga folders, you can specify a single folder to process.
This works transparent to the user. When you specify -parent_folder it checks whether there are subfolders (batch mode) or not (single folder mode) and then continues working accordingly.
-Full size images
Instead of specifying a width and height to resize images to, now you can leave the images the same size as the source images.
I recommend using this setting for the iPad since the larger images are better to zoom on, and the iPad makes it easy to zoom on images.
This is set up in the .properties file by setting "width" and/or "height" to -1
-Can disable auto rotate for portrait images
Before I had portrait images automatically rotated to landscape mode by default, but now you can turn this off if you want.
-Binding for epub
Now you can bind multiple manga folders into a single epub.
Note that epub is still in BETA. I can sync the epubs using iTunes, but I can't get them to appear in iBooks. If you know how to fix this please pm me on mobileread.com (username "lilman").

-Update-
I got an epub to show up in iBooks by passing it through calibre first. I could look through the calibre epub and see what changes need to be made, but holy crap does epub manga suck. A large chunk of the screen gets wasted by the virtual book, leaving the manga page much smaller in the middle. As far as I could tell you can't even zoom in on the images. When reading in Goodreader or ComicZeal, the manga page takes up the entire screen, and you can easily zoom when needed. I will probably update the epub code in v1.6 so that it works in iBooks (just for completeness sakes), but I can't imagine anyone wanting to read manga that way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.5_iPad.zip (34.2 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by lilman; 05-04-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
lilman
Addict

Preview of features coming to v1.6:

-Auto sense suffix
By not setting the -num_chars_keep_suffix value, the program will attempt to automatically determine the suffixes of your manga folders.
Note that each manga folder must end with a number such as 1, 001, 1.11, or 001.11 for this to work.
-ComicZeal naming
For iPad users who read manga using ComicZeal (like me), this option uses a special ComicZeal naming scheme for the zip archives.
It places the title of the manga at the beginning of the filename, followed by a ~ (for example: School_Rumble~School_Rumble_-_Ch.001).
When ComicZeal imports these specially named files it will automatically sort the manga into the correct collections.

I already have the above features coded (and I've been using them myself... they make using ComicZeal so much nicer). If I can't think of any other features to add then I'll release v1.6 in the next 2 days.

-Update-
Working on another feature: default output directory. Coding is almost done, just working out the trickiness of recursive directory creation in java.

Last edited by lilman; 05-11-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Cant wait till I get my iPad and can start giving this a go.

thanks for your work.[
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
lilman
Addict

Canti v1.6 is released.

With this latest version, you only have to specify two values at runtime: -parent_folder and -title. Everything else is optional

New to version 1.6:
-Auto sense suffix
By not setting (or setting to -1) the -num_chars_keep_suffix value, the program will attempt to automatically determine the suffixes of your manga folders.
Note that each manga folder must end with a number such as 1, 001, 1.11, or 001.11 for this to work.
-Output base folder
Instead of specifying -output_folder at runtime, can specify an output base folder in the .properties file. I found this useful since I usually keep all my processed manga in the same base folder.
If the value is set to "default", then the output_base_folder will be: one directory up from -parent_folder/OUT/
If this value is set to [path to output base folder], then the output_base_folder will be: [path to output base folder]/[manga title]/
Acceptable values: default, [path to output base folder]
For Linux systems, [path to output base folder] should be something like /home/[username]/Manga/IPAD/
For Windows systems, [path to output base folder] should be something like C:\\Manga\\IPAD\\
Note that [path to output base folder] cannot contain any spaces (it's a problem with ImageMagick processing). All spaces will be replaced with underscores.
-ComicZeal naming (turned off by default but recommended for iPad users with ComicZeal)
For iPad users who read manga using ComicZeal (like me), this option uses a special ComicZeal naming scheme for the zip archives.
It places the title of the manga at the beginning of the filename, followed by a ~ (for example: School_Rumble~School_Rumble_-_Ch.001.cbz).
When ComicZeal imports these specially named files it will automatically sort the manga into the correct collections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Cant wait till I get my iPad and can start giving this a go.

thanks for your work.[
You're going to love comics/manga on the iPad. I have over 3k chapters of manga on mine right now (takes up about 6-7gb) all nicely organized in ComicZeal. It's a really nice experience having all your comics on one device instead of keeping a stack of books by your bed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.6_iPad.zip (36.5 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by lilman; 05-11-2010 at 05:36 PM.