Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Reading capable umpcs/tablets/slates coming out this year

Let's just say that this year we will have a greater that ever variety of umpcs/tablets/slates to choose from. I'm sure that there are a lot more devices coming out sooner or later this year so please feel free to add to the following short list:

Microsoft boss Steve Balmer showed off HP running windows tablet at CES 2010
Dell Mini 5
C-Motech Mangrove 7” Tablet
Wirelession W1090
Ramos W7
Archos 9 - it's been around for a while
Asus EeePC Touch Series Tablet
viliv n5
Compal Android tablet
Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid
Mirasol shows prototype reader-like device
Entourage Edge
Paradigm Shift readers
Sungale 7-inch Cyberus
Freescale smartbook short review from Chippy (this device looks very sweet at 200 dollars)
LG GW990
ASUS planning dual screen Eee Reader: world's cheapest e-book reader
Vega Android Tablet
Creative Zii MediaBook e-reader
Cowon's Atom-powered W2 MID
MSI Android tablet
MSI dual touchscreen umpc/netbook !!!!!!
Cydle M7 Android tablet
Quanta Tegra 2

Last edited by skyline; 01-09-2010 at 11:36 AM.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Great job! There is so much to choose from. I'm sort of interested in that HP slate.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Great job! There is so much to choose from. I'm sort of interested in that HP slate.
Me too! But I also saw something on TV here, that was interresting. I only saw it in a flash, so I've no idea what it was, except that you could remove the "screen" from its holder and have a slate. You didn't just disconnect it, the keyboard was still attacked to the screen holder...

found it in that list too: the Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid

Last edited by Sweetpea; 01-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Holy mackerel! That's a great list!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Holy mackerel! That's a great list!
Speaking of which, did you manage to find out more about the Paradigm Shift readers? I haven't seen any coverage on them at CES. Were they even there?
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I'll take that MSI Android tablet, please!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by heron61 View Post
Speaking of which, did you manage to find out more about the Paradigm Shift readers? I haven't seen any coverage on them at CES. Were they even there?
They canceled the appointment so they could meet more retailers.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Shemmy
Shemmy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300; Samsung Omnia II
That Mangrove tablet looks really nice! I'm not a big fan of Android, so something like this would be right up my alley (I wouldn't have to carry my laptop with me for work or when I travelled). I'm not sure I'd use it as anything other than a "netbook replacement," though. It also might mean I could dump the smartphone and just use a devent feature phone (it would save some money on my cell phone bill!) - I'd just have to figure out a tethering solution
Shemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Here is another device with the pixel QI technology that at least some of you are already familiar with, and an interview with Mary Lou Jepsen, founder of Pixel QI company. Reviewers at gizmodo and engadget suggest that these technologies will bring the end of e-ink. More info at the News and Commentary section.

Last edited by skyline; 01-11-2010 at 09:08 AM.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can add the Viewsonic VPD series tablets to the list.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
You can add the Viewsonic VPD series tablets to the list.
According to Viewsonic, those will only read TXT files...just FYI. Not sure if they're confused, planning to add more options, or think TXT=we can call this an eBook reader.
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
According to Viewsonic, those will only read TXT files...just FYI. Not sure if they're confused, planning to add more options, or think TXT=we can call this an eBook reader.
If so, they wouldn't be the first. I'm not sure if that makes them dim, underhanded, or just plain desperate to be part of the "me too" crowd.

But you almost can't blame them... after all, there's no hard-and-fast rule of what text files are and are not considered e-books so, strictly speaking, they're not lying...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote