Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
What I like:
* Flashlight and calculator available from the lock screen
* Camera and music controls more easily accessed from the lock screen

I'm sure there must be features that I haven't read about or encountered yet because this was supposed to be such a major update. As expected with such a limited usage (less than 15 minutes) my don't like list is much longer.

What I don't like:
* I really miss swipe to delete
* The grouped apps (forget what they're called - folders?) now only show 9 per screen, and have a second screen where required. I had organized mine to show a screenful and now have to reorganize to not have to swipe for a second screen
* The text on the icons was illegible on my light-coloured background. I changed my background to all black for now.
* Text is generally lighter-weight and less readable (e.g. in the mail app). If anyone over 40 tested this product, wasn't their opinion listened to?
* Zooming of the apps whenever you return to the home screen
* The grey background on the folders
Yes, it is difficult to read light colored, thin text. This is especially annoying when the light colored, thin text has replaced easy to see UI buttons. Really stupid move by Ive, and no doubt he is at least 40. At 55 I'm having trouble quickly finding these text-only UI buttons. Apple should at least use a different, bolded font for text-only UI buttons to make them pop. I think Ive wanted them to blend in, but that makes for a terrible UI.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #47
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Several million people are trying to download the updates at the same time, and people expect the downloads to be instant? Wow, talk about loosing touch with reality...

Personally, don't like the flat icons, and the new dock - Otherwise, very happy with iOS7.
You might not be that happy when you see your new battery life, especially if you have a 5:

afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You might not be that happy when you see your new battery life, especially if you have a 5:

You should probably reference where you got this. If it is true then my iPhone 5 on iOS 7 fears are legit! I suspected a hit to battery, but not that huge of a hit. Strange how it has a much larger hit on iPhone 5 than any other device. I'm glad I decided to wait on my 5. I'm letting some friends test it out on their 5s first!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #49
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You should probably reference where you got this. If it is true then my iPhone 5 on iOS 7 fears are legit! I suspected a hit to battery, but not that huge of a hit. Strange how it has a much larger hit on iPhone 5 than any other device. I'm glad I decided to wait on my 5. I'm letting some friends test it out on their 5s first!
Judging by the icon at the bottom right (it says ars), it's probably from arstechnica...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #50
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I was wondering when the trolls would show up.

The hit to battery life is real (I'm experiencing it now), but is hopefully due to a bug that'll be patched. In any case, I call shenanigans on that graph. There is no way he got 661 minutes (11 hours) of battery life on 6.1.X, so the drop-off is less drastic than it would appear. 444 minutes is 7.4 hours, whereas I used to get around 8 hours of battery life before the device shut down, on average.

For those struggling with the new system font weight, go to Settings > General > Accessibility and turn 'Bold Text' on. It restores it to the same weight and thickness as iOS 6.

Last edited by holymadness; 09-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post

The hit to battery life is real (I'm experiencing it now), but is hopefully due to a bug that'll be patched. In any case, I call shenanigans on that graph. There is no way he got 661 minutes (11 hours) of battery life on 6.1.X, so the drop-off is less drastic than it would appear. 444 minutes is 7.4 hours, whereas I used to get around 8 hours of battery life before the device shut down, on average.

For those struggling with the new system font weight, go to Settings > Accessibility and turn 'Bold Text' on. It restores it to the same weight and thickness as iOS 6.
Just FYI, watch the usage of the "Troll" word because the moderators don't like it, even if it is true.

Yes, 11 hours seems way too much. I never tried surfing all day on my iPhone 5, but I seriously doubt it would get that long of battery life.

The bold text helps a lot, but the lack of UI buttons is still making the UI harder to read and use.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #52
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
For those struggling with the new system font weight, go to Settings > Accessibility and turn 'Bold Text' on. It restores it to the same weight and thickness as iOS 6.
Thank you! Hope I'm not considered a troll ...
It's Settings > General > Accessibility in case anyone else is looking for it. It's so much better.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #53
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Not at all. You have actually used iOS 7 and are giving your impressions. That's helpful.

Regarding missing swipe to delete: if you mean swiping emails to delete them, try swiping in the opposite direction (from right to left).
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #54
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Unless I'm missing something you can no longer search the internet, just the phone itself) from the home screen?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #55
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Got it on both my devices now. For the most part I like it. So far my biggest dislike is the wasted space in folders view. But glad you can add more items to folders.

A lot of my settings were reset after update, and my time was off on the iPad.

So far, can't tell a difference in battery drain or performance on my iPad 3. My iPhone 4S (bought used) has always had pathetic battery life, so it will be interesting to see if it gets much worse.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #56
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Not at all. You have actually used iOS 7 and are giving your impressions. That's helpful.

Regarding missing swipe to delete: if you mean swiping emails to delete them, try swiping in the opposite direction (from right to left).
Yes! I didn't even see that Reply etc. were missing. (what does that say about my emails, that I need to delete them but not reply to them ...)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

I do like the new iOS way of closing opened apps. Actually I don't think they are still open as such, isn't it merely a list of recently opened apps? At any rate it is quicker and easier to close (or delete them from the list). I do wish you could close them all at one time though. I'll have to check to see if that is possible.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #58
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Judging by the icon at the bottom right (it says ars), it's probably from arstechnica...
It is, but for those who want to read the whole thing, it's here: source
Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #59
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Quote:
The hit to battery life is real ...
I'm confused, you agree that I am telling the truth about a shortcoming on ios7, yet you call me a troll?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #60
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Oh, I am still very happy. My 4S is actually holding out longer compared iOS6. (After testing iOS7 a whole day...)

But nevermind that - iOS releases always use more juice with the 1.0 releases, which gets improved over the course of the minor updates.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote