Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: do you like kite?
yes 55 85.94%
no 9 14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
kite: kindle 3 application launcher

kite allows you to run native linux applications on kindle
> from the home screen like kindlets
> when your kindle is unplugged from the usb port
> when your kindle starts up
no jailbreak is necessary to install this application.
kite applications can be sorted into collections.

installation as update
Spoiler:
> unzip kite.zip
> select update corresponding to your kindle model
>> wifi: k3w, 3g: k3g, international: k3gb
>> to find your version:
>> menu => settings
>> bottom right => kindle 3.X
>> if X is 2 or greater, use update marked 3.2.1
> plug in your kindle
> copy update to your kindle
> menu => settings
> menu => update your kindle

uninstall
Spoiler:
> kite-uninstall.sh will be on your kindle
> move it to kite/ondrop
> unplug your kindle

custom screen savers
Spoiler:
> unzip screensavers.zip
> put screensaver.sh on your kindle in kite/ondrop
> unplug your kindle

when you reconnect your kindle, you can put your own images in the screen_savers folder.
you must restart your kindle to see new screen savers.

to uninstall:
> run the script again
> delete screen_savers_uninstalled from your kindle

usb networking
Spoiler:
> unzip usbnet.zip
> place usbnet.sh in kite/ondrop
> unplug your kindle

usbnet will appear on your home screen; open to toggle.
when usbnet is active, you can telnet and rcp to your kindle.
# ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1
# telnet 192.168.2.2
# rcp /etc/passwd root@192.168.2.2:/tmp

to change your kindle's ip, edit kite/config/usbipv4.

installation of kite as a script
Spoiler:
for users with usb networking.
# gzip -d kite.gz
# sh kite

changelog
Spoiler:
+ fixed minor deletion bug
+ cut out logging code

acknowledgments
Spoiler:
thanks to all of the people who worked on the kindle jailbreak, usb networking, and screen saver hacks.
source available upon request.
bash xinetd inetutils
Attached Files
File Type: zip kite.zip (163.3 KB, 11589 views)
File Type: zip kite-uninstall.zip (260 Bytes, 2595 views)
File Type: zip screensaver.zip (341 Bytes, 5341 views)
File Type: zip usbnet.zip (1.09 MB, 2880 views)
File Type: gz kite.gz (21.7 KB, 3704 views)

Last edited by fbdev; 02-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
This is amazing, but IMO not getting the attention it deserves. Amazing presentation and i love it.

Ill be looking for ideas for apps to create for kite. Please keep up the work!
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqtftqx View Post
This is amazing, but IMO not getting the attention it deserves. Amazing presentation and i love it.

Ill be looking for ideas for apps to create for kite. Please keep up the work!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
This thing is great, now i finally can use CoolReader3 (newer liked LaunchPad, shortcuts were too unintuitive).

BTW, can i update kite by running kite.sh with kite itself?

Last edited by uwndrd; 02-10-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added question
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
fbdev
fbdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwndrd View Post
This thing is great, now i finally can use CoolReader3 (newer liked LaunchPad, shortcuts were too unintuitive).

BTW, can i update kite by running kite.sh with kite itself?
yes, but you will have to restart your kindle manually.
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
I must be doing something wrong. Have installed kite by the book, and rebooted the machine. I tried two scripts, with CoolReader3 and USBNetwork. In both cases, when running them I get a screen blink and nothing else happens.

Later edit: the kite scripts have to be ASCII files with Unix EOL, not with Windows EOL. It took me some time to think at this.

Last edited by hfpop; 02-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
kiri87
kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
This is incredibly useful! Thanks a lot, it's the perfect launchpad replacement.
kiri87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
fbdev
fbdev

yeah; sh (especially the version on the kindle) is really sensitive.

please don't hurt its feelings.
or it will cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I must be doing something wrong. Have installed kite by the book, and rebooted the machine. I tried two scripts, with CoolReader3 and USBNetwork. In both cases, when running them I get a screen blink and nothing else happens.

Later edit: the kite scripts have to be ASCII files with Unix EOL, not with Windows EOL. It took me some time to think at this.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
fbdev
fbdev

gzip'd preprocessed gnu c.
Attached Files
File Type: gz kite.i.gz (71.2 KB, 1336 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
kiri87
kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
I noticed that each time I drop a new script in /kite, the script is executed automatically when I remove the usb. Am I doing something wrong?
kiri87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Sorry to bother you.
Does Kite work with Kindle Touch?
Thanks!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
I appreciate that this is relatively easy to install. It's nice to be able to use my own images for the Kindle screen saver, too. In fact, I wrote a blog post about the process: http://anoved.net/2012/02/custom-kin...ges-with-kite/ (let me know if you spot any errors or important omissions).
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
MERLev
MERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with othersMERLev plays well with others

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I had succesfuly indtalled kite on K4NT using install script.
Thank you a lot, now i am able to run cr3 on my kindle !
Now about bugs:
1. When i firstly place to the kite folder file CoolReader3 with text
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/us/cr3/goqt.sh cr3 start
and disconnected kindle from usb - i got cr3 autostarted immediately.
2. (The worstest bug i found) After closing cr3 (or any other application) i can see that anouther copy of this application is running! As i understend, kite in some way is lounching selected application twice! And that copy is not fully controlled keybord (When i am pressing 'menu' key, i can see that two menu are openning - one is from CR3 and another - original kindle menu).

Sorry for my bad English
MERLev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
bhoyt
Enthusiast
bhoyt began at the beginning.

Device: KT, Android Tablet and Phone
I have installed kite and would like to use it to install CoolReader 3 on my K3w. Is it possible or do I need to jailbreak to install CR3?
bhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
drauger
Enthusiast
drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLev View Post
I had succesfuly indtalled kite on K4NT using install script.
I tried to do it twice with my K4NT. First time I saw the following message:

Code:
ln: /etc/rc5.d/S62kite: No such file or directory
ln: /etc/rc3.d/K07kite: No such file or directory
Second time the script returned the following error:
Code:
/sbin/kite: error while loading shared libraries: libdirectfb-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Has somebody managed to cope with the same problem?
drauger is offline   Reply With Quote