Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Here's an example of what I mean:

http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/fl...Correction.htm

open up the first example, "The Princess and the Pea"
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
A problem with no space between the end of italic and beginning of normal text is a font metric problem. The last italic letter is leaning into the space where the space would be. Proper kerning or hinting should account for this common problem. So this Kobo's issue, not the publisher. Try changing to another font if your reader has other fonts.

eP
One way to check if it is a Kobo issue of not is to try 11/22/63 with ADE on the computer and see if it looks OK or not. I have seen eBooks where the italics had the space missing before and after. It was probably due to the fact that the source was PDF and the conversion botched the spacing around the italics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I appreciate all the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm not able to try a different font, but I was able to try several different reader Apps on my tablet, and had the same problem no matter which one I used. It also displayed the same way in calibre, so I believe the problem is with the epub version of the file rather than how a font mishandled italics, particularly since it has the same problem with a word that is all capital letters.

Yes, the text is still readable, but it does slow me down if I have to I mentally insert a space between the words.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you mean that you have thisproblem ?
While what you'd like to have is this solution ?

If that's the problem at hand, then my copy of 11/22/63 is fine :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I recently purchased and am currently reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Although I find it a very enjoyable read so far, I am very unhappy with its formatting. Most formatting is acceptable, but for some reason there is no spacing between the last italicized word and the first non-italicized word. As you know if you've read 11/22/63, there are MANY instances of italicized words in the book - probably more use of italics than I've ever seen.

Last edited by Quexos; 12-05-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
I have the kindle edition of this book and checked all the italics and they are all proper and no words running together. I would have thought this would be irritating too. I also converted it to epub with calibre to see if anything changed and it still looked perfect. I wonder if it is the original epub or something that kobo does.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Do you mean that you have thisproblem ?
While what you'd like to have is this solution ?

If that's the problem at hand, then my copy of 11/22/63 is fine :-)
Where is yours from? It would be useful to know which stores have the problem and which don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #22
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
It's dog piling at this point, but I checked my Kindle copy at the passage specified, and mine looks fine.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #23
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
have not found any problems either B&N epub here
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #24
shadeauxtoo
shadeauxtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I purchased 11 22 63 for my Kindle. The description shows File Size: 2621 KB
Print Length: 866 pages. The file that downloaded to my Kindle is only 1710 KB. Can someone who has this on their Kindle please check their file size. That seems like a huge difference. I want to be sure I have the complete book; I'd hate to get halfway through only to discover missing pages! I called Amazon support....they have no idea which number is correct.

I've been a lurker here for over a year and have gotten lots of great tips & info.....I finally decided it was time to join!
shadeauxtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeauxtoo View Post
I purchased 11 22 63 for my Kindle. The description shows File Size: 2621 KB
Print Length: 866 pages. The file that downloaded to my Kindle is only 1710 KB. Can someone who has this on their Kindle please check their file size. That seems like a huge difference. I want to be sure I have the complete book; I'd hate to get halfway through only to discover missing pages! I called Amazon support....they have no idea which number is correct.

I've been a lurker here for over a year and have gotten lots of great tips & info.....I finally decided it was time to join!
Does the Kindle book have page numbers? If so, why not go to the end of the book and verify that you do indeed have 866 pages? I think it's extremely unlikely that you don't have the complete book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #26
shadeauxtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does the Kindle book have page numbers? If so, why not go to the end of the book and verify that you do indeed have 866 pages? I think it's extremely unlikely that you don't have the complete book.
I have 853 pages. What I'm worried about is there might be pages missing in the middle. Without actually paging through the whole book, there's no other way to tell. Normally I wouldn't have even noticed the file size, but with this book, there's a big difference between what Amazon lists and what downloaded.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Huge amounts of Holy Hell would've been raised already if incomplete versions of a Stephen King ebook were being served up by Amazon. I mean a media spotlight of epic proportions.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #28
shadeauxtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Huge amounts of Holy Hell would've been raised already if incomplete versions of a Stephen King ebook were being served up by Amazon. I mean a media spotlight of epic proportions.
LOL, that's what I was thinking. I couldn't find any complaints about missing pages in any Amazon reviews, but I figured I'd ask on here anyway.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeauxtoo View Post
LOL, that's what I was thinking. I couldn't find any complaints about missing pages in any Amazon reviews, but I figured I'd ask on here anyway.
Don't blame you one bit, I'd probably check too!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Huh. My version, which is the audio/video version, says 849 pages. I have no idea if this is different because of reading on the iPad or not.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote