Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Is the Pocket Pro the BeBook Mini?

Please excuse me if this is covered elsewhere but is the Pocket Pro (US)
the same as the BeBook Mini? Are there differences between the two?
Until recently I had a Cool-er (please don't laugh) but due to reliability and software issues I'm now looking for a new ereader and whilst the new Sonys are tempting I had narrowed down my choices to the Cybook Opus & the BeBook Mini.
I've read the forum postings regarding the Opus and feel that it could be as problematic as the Cool-er although I would love the large amount of storage space. The BeBook mini covers the bases with regard to supported formats, and does allow for memory expansion. Most comments that I've are positive. Is it worth buying and are there any glaring drawbacks or problems that I should be aware of?
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebalme View Post
Please excuse me if this is covered elsewhere but is the Pocket Pro (US)
the same as the BeBook Mini? Are there differences between the two?
Until recently I had a Cool-er (please don't laugh) but due to reliability and software issues I'm now looking for a new ereader and whilst the new Sonys are tempting I had narrowed down my choices to the Cybook Opus & the BeBook Mini.
I've read the forum postings regarding the Opus and feel that it could be as problematic as the Cool-er although I would love the large amount of storage space. The BeBook mini covers the bases with regard to supported formats, and does allow for memory expansion. Most comments that I've are positive. Is it worth buying and are there any glaring drawbacks or problems that I should be aware of?
They are, both based on the Hanlin V5. The installed firmware might be slightly different, but you can cross-install the firmware. So they are identical.

What is different is the contents of the package. Biggest difference is the PP comes with a protective leather cover, the Bebook Mini doesn't (stylz covers are around $25US) and an AC-USB charger. The PP represents better value for money IMHO - and a choice of colours.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
They are the same ereader. The reader is not very intuitive to use. I bought the Pocket Pro, returned it and purchased a used Sony 505. NOW, I am happy.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
They are the same ereader. The reader is not very intuitive to use. I bought the Pocket Pro, returned it and purchased a used Sony 505. NOW, I am happy.
The Hanlin V5 is not very intuitive to use and a Sony is?!?! Well, let's just say that's a matter of personal preference, shall we?

My mom actually finds both my BeBook (the original, not the Mini, though the controls are pretty darn similar) and the Sony 505 about equal in terms of ease of use. The Cybook Gen3 was the one that she found difficult to use - the so-called "D-pad" isn't exactly the most user-friendly control button layout; she hates the one on her cellphone too. She also found the Cybook's menus more difficult to navigate than those on either the 505 or the BeBook. The Mentor is more or less the same hardware as the Cybook Gen3; I don't know if the buttons on it are just as stiff and tough to handle for arthritic fingers or not.

I was never entirely happy with the Cybook's controls (osteoarthritis and stiff buttons with narrow pressure areas, like the outside ring on the Gen3, do not a good combination make) or menus but liked the Gen3's menus considerably more than the 505's menus (though the 505's controls beat the Gen3's, no contest). The controls and menus of the BeBook (and, later, the Astak Pocket Pro), however, were love at first use for me. I especially love the folders for organizing my books (something that's notably missing from the Sony readers - and, no, collections are not an adequate substitute).

The Sony 505 (and 300)'s main saving grace is the number keys, similar to those used by the BeBook & Pocket Pro. They make menu navigation much more convenient. I don't particularly like the Sony menus but could probably learn to live with them if everything else was up to par. However, I never found the 505 very comfortable to hold - I'm not sure why; it just didn't feel right in my hands despite the fact that its page turn buttons are reasonably well-placed; its weight and balance were just a bit off for me - but the 300 is actually a pretty slick little reader.

The 300's main downfall for me is the fact that it just has one set of page turning controls, dead center at the bottom. I like to hold my reader one-handed, especially when using a 5", and that simply isn't very comfortable with a central set of page turning controls. Reaching the right page turn with my left thumb when holding the 300 with my left hand just doesn't work. Reaching with my right thumb when holding it with my right hand is doable but a bit awkward. It just can't match the usability of the multiple page-turning options on the Pocket Pro (BeBook Mini) in particular.

I also find that the metal case of the Sony readers feels chill enough that it makes my osteoarthritic fingers ache; the plastic case of the BeBook and Pocket Pro doesn't.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I would suggest a look at the Pocketbook 360 over the Bebook/Astak 5" clone V5 devices. There is a forum here for the Pocketbook and the 360 has been for sale in other countries for a while now and is also currently to be had here in the US. The US distributor is a nice guy and posts in the forum here.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
I agree completely. Both are good readers, but the Sony is intuitive and that gives it the edge.

And yes the BeBook mini and Aztak pocket pro are the same hardward.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I would suggest a look at the Pocketbook 360 over the Bebook/Astak 5" clone V5 devices. There is a forum here for the Pocketbook and the 360 has been for sale in other countries for a while now and is also currently to be had here in the US. The US distributor is a nice guy and posts in the forum here.
It is clearly a superior device... at least on paper. We still have to wait for some reviews.

And... of course it doesn't support any DRM formats at this time. But, we hear from a pocketbook person on the forum that they should have the Adobe support by the end of the year... I hope they choose to support both the Adobe ID and the Social DRM methods.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It is clearly a superior device... at least on paper. We still have to wait for some reviews.
You will get review from a long-time MR member as soon as I receive my unit. It is in the mail at the moment.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

And... of course it doesn't support any DRM formats at this time. But, we hear from a pocketbook person on the forum that they should have the Adobe support by the end of the year... I hope they choose to support both the Adobe ID and the Social DRM methods.

BOb
Pocketbook already in Betafirmware support DRM in EPUB and PDF. Even before the end of November will be officially released a new version of Firmware to support DRM in EPUB and PDF.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You will get review from a long-time MR member as soon as I receive my unit. It is in the mail at the moment.
What? Are you getting a "review" unit? It's not supposed to be released til last this month ... unless that has changed.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What? Are you getting a "review" unit? It's not supposed to be released til last this month ... unless that has changed.
The pocketbook 360 has been for sale for a month or more. Perhaps you are thinking of the 302?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
kennyc

Oops, never mind me, I was totally confused.....I thought he was talking about the B&N nook. Not sure exactly why I was thinking that. I'll just back out slowly now....
Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Oops, never mind me, I was totally confused.....I thought he was talking about the B&N nook. Not sure exactly why I was thinking that. I'll just back out slowly now....
DUDE....HAHAHAHA....nice one!! Please pass that stuff to the left!! BCBud can sneak up on a person...so go easy!!

Not to worry it's been that sorta pact few months for me too!!

Last edited by brecklundin; 11-07-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Can't wait to read your take...this really is the device I have my sights set on simply because of the excellent firmware (other reviews and comments around the web from those who bought theirs direct from the HQ in Ukraine) and the very simple protective cover makes more sense than almost any other I've found for an ereading device to date.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Not a review unit.
I am getting my very own, fully paid for unit.

Official sale in Germany starts very soon. At the moment our member Forkosigan is reselling "unofficial" PocketBooks 360 he has purchased from PocketBook copany.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote