Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #331
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I use www.ebookprice.info to find eBooks and also compare prices.
^^

The question was even answered
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #332
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
^^

The question was even answered
Sorry, I answered before moving on. I tried that website and got a message that they are re-loading their database, so I can't really say what its usefulness is until that process is done.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #333
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Sorry, I answered before moving on. I tried that website and got a message that they are re-loading their database, so I can't really say what its usefulness is until that process is done.
Same here. I searched for Lawhead Hood and got that message, but when I searched for just Lawhead, it returned a search.

Odd.

btw, Amazon is the only place still currently selling the King Raven trilogy (Robin Hood stories) by Stephen Lawhead. And it's Kindle-only, AZW1 format.

Yuck!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #334
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sony ePUB move is a good one, overall

I think in general Sony's move to ePub formats is a good one. Anything that tends to reduce the balkanization of eBook formats, over the long run, is a good move. Granted, ePub rendoring and especially some of the Adobe software has some "anomalies" (as an aside, the ADE software I find buggy as all get out, so lets hope that the newer stuff is not), but hopefully over time those will be addressed. The tendency of a competitive market is that you improve or the market moves elsewhere. But as with any transition, I think Sony will be challenged to bring it off without some adverse side effects, crashed readers or forced upgrades. Hopefully they'll work through it and it will be something that will serve as a model in the future, when newer editions of books and book readers include more CSS/typography/color/screen size/screen resolution improvements. Hopefully as eBook Readers and formats evolve and improve, it will become the model that you will still be able to read previously purchased books. We shall see. Some of the earlier .mobi to .epub handling by other vendors went not so smoothly, but that's one of the reasons for buying from one of the majors, at least in theory.

I have to say though, that while competitively forced to try and standardize on something other than Kindle/mobi, I just don't see the Sony back-end store being competitive just yet. Oh, it's adequate enough, I have an account there, it does cover the basics. Still, the Amazon store is so much more powerful and function rich, that I'm afraid all price things being equal (and they're basically not, in my experience Amazon still has the best eBook prices, although the margin & number of books that are cheaper has come down), people are still going to go to Amazon. You have the publishers' reviews, all the lists, customer feedback, wish lists, discussion forums, etc. And ultimately, it's probably just as much the iTunes store as the devices themselves that made the iPod dominant for e-music, so don't underestimate the importance of a good backend store. It's crucial. In fact, even in the ePub format back-end stores, I kind of prefer Barnes and Noble. BN is still not Amazon, but it's a lot closer, and you have to give BN credit, they're trying, and they do know books. If it turns out that an ePub off BN isn't compatible with a Sony ePbub enabled reader, or a Sony store ePub doesn't work on a BN/Plastic Logic reader (granted, certain rendering differences, but in general), DRM or not, then what people really want, i.e. device transparency and portability, preservation of investment, hasn't been achieved just yet.

The grass is always greener, and overall the move by Sony to the ePub format is a positive one, but time will tell how this transition all works out. The devil is in the details.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #335
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
I have to say though, that while competitively forced to try and standardize on something other than Kindle/mobi, I just don't see the Sony back-end store being competitive just yet. Oh, it's adequate enough, I have an account there, it does cover the basics. Still, the Amazon store is so much more powerful and function rich, that I'm afraid all price things being equal (and they're basically not, in my experience Amazon still has the best eBook prices, although the margin & number of books that are cheaper has come down), people are still going to go to Amazon.
You are perhaps forgetting that the vast majority of us do not have the option of going to Amazon. If Sony open up their store to international customers, that will give them a significant "edge" over Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #336
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are perhaps forgetting that the vast majority of us do not have the option of going to Amazon. If Sony open up their store to international customers, that will give them a significant "edge" over Amazon.
True enough.

Still, remember that Sony consolidated its Reader effort in the USA, partly because for once, it seems the USA is the hottest market at the moment. That did not follow the cell phone model of Japan-first, for some reason. Go figure, outside of Boston, Austin, and NY, I would have guessed the per-capita reading to be better in Great Britain, but maybe the size of that market is just not big enough. Or maybe it's still difficulties with publishers and DRM/regional requirements. And it's all largely what-if type speculation. Amazon has websites and "presence" overseas, so it's just as likely they could come out with a GSM variant Kindle and sell it in Europe, various other locations. See:

http://ireaderreview.com/2008/12/05/...uk-canada-gsm/

and

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/24/k...or-a-sim-card/

for some indications that Amazon is looking at GSM and eventual International sales, even off a Kindle-2 base.

It could be, though, that Amazon (and perhaps Sony and/or Apple) is waiting for LTE to become available, and viable, as a cell format, the promise there being more world-wide.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #337
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony currently sell the Reader in the USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany and (I think?) Austria. It's due to be launched in several more European countries by the end of the year.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #338
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Arrow US centric

Quote:
Originally Posted by katewilly View Post
Amazon's soft side (availability of books) is attractive to me, but I'm just not attracted to their hardware.
I'll take it you live in the States then. Because for me there is not one eBook available at Amazon.

Have you considered that Sony just might want strengthen there foodhold outside the US? Especially now that Amazons deal with T-Online and Vodafone went sour.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #339
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
I'll take it you live in the States then. Because for me there is not one eBook available at Amazon.

Have you considered that Sony just might want strengthen there foodhold outside the US? Especially now that Amazons deal with T-Online and Vodafone went sour.
In katewilly's defense, it's sometimes difficult to look beyond the borders of your own country or even your own home. Especially when we are rapped up in our own lives and are concerned about how things effect us. When companies release a new reader or make a new announcement about selling ebooks, I don't think, "How will this impact the European ebook buyer?" I generally think, "Hey, will this mean I can get a better ereader of will the price of ebooks by my favorite authors be cheaper?" I don't think that's US centric, I think it's more SELF-centered.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #340
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Couple of other things. First, the little blurb under her name states that she's in Alabama, and second, the quoted bit says "Amazon's soft side (availability of books) is attractive to me" (emphasis added), which clearly indicates that she's expressing her own personal opinion. When expressing your own opinion, I think it's perfectly fine to use your own POV as a reference. After all, isn't that what an opinion is?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #341
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony currently sell the Reader in the USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany and (I think?) Austria. It's due to be launched in several more European countries by the end of the year.
Yep, Sony is present in Austria!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #342
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, and Ireland too. Forgot that one .
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #343
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Don't forget, Vodafone starts with their own eReader (DIN A4 display) in autumn!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #344
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
So, it seems like we're basically going to end up with three different ebook formats for NYT bestsellers (i.e., standard paperback/hardback books):
- Kindle (mobi), sold by Amazon and working with the Kindle;
- ePub + ADEPT DRM, sold by Sony and others, used in public libraries, works with several ebook devices;
- eReader (either their current format or ePub + eReader DRM), sold by B&N/eReader/Fictionwise, works with the future Plastic Logic ebook device

It will be interesting if as B&N transitions to ePub, they really stick with their own DRM and don't adopt ADEPT - it seems like right now, unless you're Amazon, the format you need to support as either a device manufacturer or ebook vendor is ePub + ADEPT. As a reader, this type of consolidation is great - being able to shop around for my books is good, and should help keep prices reasonable.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #345
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Red face The whole picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
and second, the quoted bit says "Amazon's soft side (availability of books) is attractive to me" (emphasis added), which clearly indicates that she's expressing her own personal opinion.
I know, that's why I quoted that part of the posting. However here katewilly mused over company strategy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katewilly
I keep wondering about Sony's long-term plan. Is this a play to make their bookstore competitive with Amazon's? Or it could be a last-ditch short-term plan, and if it doesn't work, Sony will sell the soft side (Epub books) to Barnes & Noble/Fictionwise or Borders, while they keep making hardware (not sure because of Ereader and Plastic Logic).
And if you muse over company strategies of a global player then you have think global. An on a global scale I wonder why should Sony take on Amazon on there own turf?

Ok, note to self: don't cut so much away when quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Yep, Sony is present in Austria!
And Switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Don't forget, Vodafone starts with their own eReader (DIN A4 display) in autumn!
Any details on that surfaced - last I heard the Vodafone turned down Amazon and then announced an own eBook strategy. But no details on reader, fileformat anything.

BTW - news hit /. as well

Last edited by krischik; 08-16-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: manual multi quote
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote