Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Jackie7
Enthusiast
Jackie7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Paperwhite: how to turn off backlight completely?

Hi,

I have recently bought a brand new Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon, abd despite my old Kindle 4, it is impossible to completely turn of the background illumination, i.e. even if I set it to zero, the backlight will still be visible in dark light. This will eat up my battery.

The question is: is that normal, or a bug? What can I do about it?
Jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
It's normal behavior. The light is always on.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Jackie7
Enthusiast
Jackie7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It's normal behavior. The light is always on.
But why is it not possible to turn it of? The other kindles don't have that light, and therefore much longer battery life. Why did Amazon sacrifice that?
Jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
But why is it not possible to turn it of? The other kindles don't have that light, and therefore much longer battery life. Why did Amazon sacrifice that?

If you turn it all the way down to 1, the light uses virtually no power. I adjusted my habits from keeping the light at 12 to using it at 3 in the dark, and I now get several more days before I need to charge it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
If you do want it off completely, there's a thread about it in Developer Corner
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I am sure the reason is the amount of battery consumed at the lowest setting just isn't significant. I remain amazed at my PW battery life and I keep mine set around 14.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Without "hacking?" You don't.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use my light on around 10-8 and in the dark 5-3 and the battery life outshines my other Kindles.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Hi,

I have recently bought a brand new Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon, abd despite my old Kindle 4, it is impossible to completely turn of the background illumination, i.e. even if I set it to zero, the backlight will still be visible in dark light. This will eat up my battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
If you do want it off completely, there's a thread about it in Developer Corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Without "hacking?" You don't.
That depends on your definition of "hacking". In above mentioned thread I did post a light toggle switch for KUAL (see here) which adds a button to KUAL (jailbreaking still required for it). This version does not modify any system files any more - unlike posts #1, #6, #63 in said thread. All those other 3 methods require some altering by yourself of system files.

You will also find: Turn Off Frontlight W/O Jailbreak in that thread, which lets you turn the light off w/o requiring jailbreak.

And I apologize for this shameless self-advertisement - 3 of those above mentioned and linked posts are done by me.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4
You can do it with a magnet cover

http://www.actualidadkd.com/como-apa...le-paperwhite/

To turn the light off to do a quick and short at the top of the cover out, as if you tried to open the lid, but not.
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
As other posters said, it is normal.
No it will not eat your battery.

If you are still concenred, you can install KUAL and a program for switching the light completely off.

My preffered solution is the installation of the Coolreader3 from Crazy Coder. In the Coolreader you can switch the light completely off. It also supports many formats, it supports hierarchical directories and many more options.

To install KUAL and program to switch off the light or Coolreader you need to jailbreak your KPW. To jailbreak it, you might need to downgrade the formware.

You can also install Duokan. Duokan is the alternative Chinese firmware that completely takes over the Kindle. After installation you can restart the Kindle in the original firmware if you wish. Installation of Duokan is not for the faint of heart, because after installation it is set to Chinese, and you have to set it to English interface using picture How-To.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
Dubstepper
Dubstepper began at the beginning.

Device: Fire, K3 3G
Yea the light is always on. Even on the lowest setting is should use very minimal power.
Dubstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
+1 to Me. Use a magnet, it is much simpler than software solutions.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why bother? The power drain of the lighting LEDs on minimum brightness is completely negligible.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why bother? The power drain of the lighting LEDs on minimum brightness is completely negligible.
Harry, I completely agree with that. Turning off the light to save battery drain is useless and silly. It is arguably not visible on lowest setting either (unless in the dark when you need it).

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote