Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: do you like kite?
yes 55 85.94%
no 9 14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
I tried installing usbnet, but it didn't create a usbnet.pdf in the documents folder. Everything else seems to have installed though.

Also, is it possible to use symlinks to install programs to kite? For example, I want to install myts, the Kindle shell/terminal, to my main screen, but it comes with more than just an executable. I try to make my own symlink, but it says operation not permitted.

And is it possible to make a link on my home page to a program with some arguments? I installed bozohttpd and it shows up, but the only way to run it is to use arguments.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Note: I cannot uninstall Kite's screensaver hack or even Kite itself via the /ondrop folder method listed on the first post. To uninstall them, I had to manually input the commands listed in the script (which you can do using either a Kindle terminal, such as myts, or via usbnetwork). Oddly, Kite's usbnetwork hack does seem to install and uninstall correctly (after several attempts), but not the others. I would be fine to uninstall it just as I did the others, manually, but since the script itself cannot open in a text editor on my Linux machine for some reason, I couldn't.

Anybody know why those things don't work for me?

Also, For those that test out Kite's screensaver hack while already having the Custom Screensaver Hack installed: the screensaver.sh script, if installed and then not successfully removed, (note, installation will copy all /mnt/us/linkss/screensavers to screen_savers folder), it will completely disable the Custom Screensaver Hack. Unfortunately I was unable to uninstall the screensaver.sh script by copying it to the /ondrop folder. However, was able to manually input the commands via myts terminal (or using a computer via usbnetwork). Same goes with how I was finally able to uninstall Kite (the /ondrop instructions just didn't work for me for the screensavers and kite itself).

The problem lies in 'cd /opt/amazon && rm screen_saver && mv screen_saver.bak screen_saver && mv /mnt/us/screen_savers /mnt/us/screen_savers_uninstalled' commands, which, unless done, (which needs to be inputed either via the /ondrop method, or manually), before the Custom Screensavers Hack will work again.

Last edited by inameiname; 02-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
Yeah, I think I'll stick to launchpad, it only takes 1 second to hit the keys, and it doesn't clutter your home page with stuff. :P
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjheiss View Post
Yeah, I think I'll stick to launchpad, it only takes 1 second to hit the keys, and it doesn't clutter your home page with stuff. :P
I think THE POINT of Kite is to clutter your home page with stuff
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
saam
saam began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
kindle 4 nt

Hello.
On kindle 4 nt does not work.
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# ldd /sbin/kite
libdirectfb-1.2.so.0 => not found
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x40021000)
libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 (0x40039000)
libjpeg.so.62 => not found
libfreetype.so.6 => not found
librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x4005e000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4006c000)
libsqlite3.so.0 => not found
libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x400da000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4010b000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40206000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x40000000)

You can make a statistically binary kite?
saam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

...deleted by user...

Last edited by inameiname; 02-23-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
saam
saam began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
kindle 4 nt work

Its work on kindle 4 nt.
I was a little changed the installation script for kindle 4 nt.
Very Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: gz kite.sh.gz (21.7 KB, 1302 views)
saam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
traycold
Connoisseur
traycold doesn't littertraycold doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo Hd, Kobo H2O2
hi, will this work on kindle DXG (with firmware upgraded to 3.2.1)?
traycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
inameiname
Groupie

With this, and its ability to run native Linux applications, would it be possible to run Linux browsers through it rather than the webkit browser that is thus far the only one I know that runs on the Kindle? Now that would be a feat if it was possible!

Last edited by inameiname; 03-01-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
yann
yann began at the beginning.

Device: kiddle
Hey,

I just got a kindle and I try to install kite but I am not sure about what I am supposed to expect from it... I did manage to change the screensavers but I dont have any icons, difference, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjheiss View Post

Could anyone explain me what this is about please? Is it specific for developers?

Thanks you very much,
Yann
yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
With this, and its ability to run native Linux applications, would it be possible to run Linux browsers through it rather than the webkit browser that is thus far the only one I know that runs on the Kindle? Now that would be a feat if it was possible!
I'm working to get the browser called "midori" to work on my Touch right now, but I'm not sure if it's possible at all (I really doubt honestly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drauger View Post
Second time the script returned the following error:
Code:
/sbin/kite: error while loading shared libraries: libdirectfb-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Has somebody managed to cope with the same problem?
Oh can someone upload the file "libdirectfb-1.2.so.0" somewhere please?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 03-15-2012 at 11:01 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
On my Kindle is "libdirectfb-1.2.so.0" just link to "libdirect-1.2.so.0.0.0".
So if you have real libdirectfb library on your Kindle (and you should, because it's use by framework, I have it in "usr/lib"), you just go to ssh and type
Code:
cd /usr/lib
mntroot rw
ln libdirect-1.2.so.0.0.0 libdirectfb-1.2.so.0
mntroot ro
If you don't have such file at all, see attachment, unzip it, rename it to libdirectfb-1.2.so.0 and copy it to /usr/lib
Attached Files
File Type: zip libdirect-1.2.so.0.0.0.zip (45.2 KB, 395 views)
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I have serious doubts that this would be sufficient. The DirectFB library will probably dl() other libraries, here those residing in /usr/lib/directfb-1.2-0/. So those would be needed, too. Maybe there are some resource bits in /usr/share, too.

Also, I would suggest to be very careful when it comes to add things to the root file system. Later Updates tend to make assumptions about available storage and may fail badly when things really go wrong.

To make things worse, DirectFB might itself pull in other dependencies (font handling comes to my mind) and chances are that at some point there will be binary incompatibilities.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #29
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I have serious doubts that this would be sufficient. The DirectFB library will probably dl() other libraries, here those residing in /usr/lib/directfb-1.2-0/. So those would be needed, too. Maybe there are some resource bits in /usr/share, too.

Also, I would suggest to be very careful when it comes to add things to the root file system. Later Updates tend to make assumptions about available storage and may fail badly when things really go wrong.

To make things worse, DirectFB might itself pull in other dependencies (font handling comes to my mind) and chances are that at some point there will be binary incompatibilities.
Personally, I like to static-link stuff so all its dependencies are included. Although it makes a much larger executable, on the kindles we (usually) only perform one major task at a time, and there is plenty of room on /mnt/us/. When I really need to load a library for cross-licensing (LGPL called from closed-source code), I link it with a library path /mnt/us/lib. I did that for SDL 1.2 (LGPL), and it worked fine, with no need to define LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running my SDL apps.

A static linked app does not depend on incompatible library versions on older kindles, so it can work on new and old kindle models alike. I have tested some of my code on firmware 2.5.8 though 5.0.4, and it works fine with no complaints.

Of course, you need to build your apps to look for other resources in a /mnt/us subdirectory too...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-15-2012 at 06:20 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Personally, I like to static-link stuff so all its dependencies are included. Although it makes a much larger executable, on the kindles we (usually) only perform one major task at a time, and there is plenty of room on /mnt/us/. When I really need to load a library for cross-licensing (LGPL called from closed-source code), I link it with a library path /mnt/us/lib. I did that for SDL 1.2 (LGPL), and it worked fine, with no need to define LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running my SDL apps.

A static linked app does not depend on incompatible library versions on older kindles, so it can work on new and old kindle models alike. I have tested some of my code on firmware 2.5.8 though 5.0.4, and it works fine with no complaints.

Of course, you need to build your apps to look for other resources in a /mnt/us subdirectory too...
cool geekmaster! we're like-minded, that's exactly what I do all the time (except I have an opt directory for all my custom applications and libs, as in /mnt/us/opt/lib/.

@hostar, @hawhill: I executed kite, it give no error but nothing happens!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 03-15-2012 at 09:48 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote