Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
vitalichka
Enthusiast
vitalichka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Adding more books from an already added directory question

Question.

I added a bunch of books to the library. Then later I unzipped several more books which are in the same directory as the one other books have been added from.

Do you know if I add the directory again, will this add the already added books as duplicates or only the new ones?

My library is quite large and having to go through the dialog box of duplicates will not work.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks
vitalichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think you made a mess.
Why, oh Why did you not chose a new, empty directory to unzip into?
BTW Calibre deals with a single format within a Zip (Multi-formats in a Zip ish )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Sorry I expected "the usual suspects" to have jumped in by now but perhaps they are having time off or asleep

In direct answer to your question, it depends on what merge setting you have set in Calibre, under Preferences->Adding books.

If you have ticked the "If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically" box, then any book formats which are the same as those that exist in Calibre will be ignored. So you can "safely" re-add the entire directory.

If you don't have that ticked, then my understanding is that Calibre will detect duplicates based on book title, and prompt you asking if you want to merge or create a new book for each. That could get pretty painful for a large directory.

If you are still concerned about which option to choose, just move all the stuff you have added recently into a different folder and add from there. If you use windows and right-click on the columns in windows explorer there is bound to be one of the date columns which will reflect the date you put the file in the folder if you can't rely on other dates the files may have.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If you have ticked the "If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically" box, then any book formats which are the same as those that exist in Calibre will be ignored. So you can "safely" re-add the entire directory.
@vitalichka That said any books that you modified/cleaned up the title or author will not match and be added as new books.

Quote:
If you are still concerned about which option to choose, just move all the stuff you have added recently into a different folder and add from there. If you use windows and right-click on the columns in windows explorer there is bound to be one of the date columns which will reflect the date you put the file in the folder if you can't rely on other dates the files may have.
I would go with this suggestion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. unfortunately moving the books to a new dir will not work because it was a rather large collection in different folders which I extracted in one folder and at this point there is no way to know which folder with thousands of folders there...folders....folders....folders. damn!

I could add to the collection but I already receive messages about dups.
And as far as zips, i hate how Calibre deals with them.
If it's an HTML or single item stuff then its okay but if u have a zip with html and something else, it all goes to hell.

Thanks for you help though.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Alright, so turns out I did extract them to a separate directory so it is fine.
However new problem.

Once I split everything up and began adding books, one of the directories was not all that large not did it have many files but it took a very long time to add the books.
Since at the time I was sitting at a coffee shop and they were closing and I use an AC powered external hard drive I had to abort the adding process.

Now I am wondering if I begin the adding process again, will this create duplicates? This could be a problem for me since there is a good number of books.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalichka View Post
Once I split everything up and began adding books, one of the directories was not all that large not did it have many files but it took a very long time to add the books.
Since at the time I was sitting at a coffee shop and they were closing and I use an AC powered external hard drive I had to abort the adding process.

Now I am wondering if I begin the adding process again, will this create duplicates? This could be a problem for me since there is a good number of books.

Thanks guys.
It's the same question, with the exact same answer There is no difference between "aborting" an add, and only adding some files/directories within a parent directory then trying to add more from the parent later. Abort is really "stop where you are up to" - but no ability to "resume" later. It does import in an order though so if you see subfolders of stuff already in Calibre there is no need to bring it in again...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
vitalichka
Enthusiast

I guess that makes good sense, the issue I see here is that the sub folders in Calibre, if you're talking about the Calibre directory on the external drive, they are oddly named and make it difficult to figure out what has and what has not been added.
If that makes sense
Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
I guess that makes good sense, the issue I see here is that the sub folders in Calibre, if you're talking about the Calibre directory on the external drive, they are oddly named and make it difficult to figure out what has and what has not been added.
If that makes sense
Don't look at the Calibre directories. Instead sort in Calibre by "Date" and that will give you in the library view the ordering of the books added recently. Hopefully from that you can identify patterns of books in folders that did get added. Bear in mind I am not suggesting this is foolproof, it is just a "possible" idea that may help. Personally I would just turn on the automerge and run with that as I put in my very first reply to you - as you won't have altered the title/author on them which is the valid point that dwanthy mentioned.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Thanks again kiwidude, that's what I'm going to do.
Yeah I wasn't planning on mess with the calibre directory, I know that would be really bad to say the least.

And once done I'll need to figure out a good way to go through the rest of the library and delete duplicates. Haven't figured it out yet though.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Edit: While I was goofing around editing etc..., I see you both have got a good handle on things.

It was already answered by kiwidude. Since you have not messed around with manually adjusting the metadata in your library having this feature set will essentially cause you to very quickly pass by books you have previously added and not create duplicates.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-07-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
And once done I'll need to figure out a good way to go through the rest of the library and delete duplicates. Haven't figured it out yet though.
Well there's a couple of very recent threads for you to look through and add to if needed on that. Hopefully some changes in the Calibre pipeline to help will be released soon. Read the top thread for more detail on that.
Duplicate Detection
How to merge and eliminate duplicates
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Thank you both, I hate to sound incompetent but I guess the issue is that I have added the vast majority of my books without this feature selected. Now I ticked the box and that's great but the vast majority of the library already created a ton of duplicates.

Again, my apologies.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Hopefully some changes in the Calibre pipeline to help will be released soon. Read the top thread for more detail on that.
This looks promising.

Quote:
Thank you both
Your Welcome