Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
There is an old regiment on the outskirts of Ystad, they have turned some of that over to film studios, that is where they shoot the Wallander series for both BBC and Swedish TV, you can also visit them. If you're lucky they might be filming while you're there.
That's great, thanks! I think the BBC series' are released every two years, so the last series probably won't be released until 2014; filming could very well start when I'm over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Alright my luvver. Wallander's gert lush. (Don't get a chance to converse in Bristolian, so couldn't resist it).

Well if the rest are as good as the first two, then I'm going to enjoy them. Got a holiday coming up, might see how many I can read then.
Haha, nicely done. Where in Bristol are you from?

I think you'll get a few done. Cannot say I've not enjoyed any so far!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Yes, boring indeed. All that inner stream of thoughts and how he feels is gone. How are you going to film it? Kenneth Brannagh looking through the window? It dragged impossibly and there was no tension in the film, for me at least. Neither in English nor Swedish version. I tried but gave up. Plus, I have my own view on how the characters look and the actors don't match. These are not the correct faces! There are several actors whom I cannot detach so to speak from their own personality. When I see Brannagh it doesn't matter who he plays, it is him dressed up but still Brannagh. He is not credible. I know he's good and all Shakespeare and all that but it is him no matter what the role.

One step behind, I think it is my favourite!
I far prefer the subtitled Swedish Wallander to the English Brannagh version; we get both on the BBC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I far prefer the subtitled Swedish Wallander to the English Brannagh version; we get both on the BBC.
They've finished showing them for now haven't they?!

Wouldn't be able to catch up from the start on iPlayer?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #19
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Haha, nicely done. Where in Bristol are you from?

I think you'll get a few done. Cannot say I've not enjoyed any so far!
I'm up in Filton, have a great view of the BAE/Airbus buildings up on the hill, and can see the old Brabazon hanger (the massive one with British Aerospace on it) on the runway - used to be the world's larger aircraft hanger when they build it. I'm a bit of an aircraft nut and have lots of family ties to BAE and Rolls-Royce, so I don't mind the view.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 09-04-2012 at 08:45 AM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
The one thing about the English TV versions that I don't like though is the completely change timeline, all the books are done in the wrong order. Dogs of Riga is the second book, not one of the last.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I like those books because I like the character. And he is human. Not perfect, with his doubts and mistakes. And I like criminal stories. And it is fun to imagine all those streets, places and people. Isn't is what reading is also about? Imagining what you read about?
I've only read a couple of Mankell's books so far (and have another two in my to read pile) but I really enjoyed them and like the character for the same reasons. The dark, depressing weather in Ystad, the normality of Wallander and his job, along with the interesting but not sensationalised crimes, just perfect for me. I like my Scandinavian crime thrillers.

I bought one of the Aurelio Zen novels as I thought it'd be similar (although obviously set in Italy), but didn't like it at all. I've never watched the TV series either, but have no real interest in doing so. I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the books, and as far as TV programmes go, it's unlikely to be a patch on The Killing!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
I'm up in Filton, have a great view of the BAE/Airbus buildings up on the hill, and can see the old Brabazon hanger (the massive one with British Aerospace on it) on the runway - used to be the world's larger aircraft hanger when they build it. I'm a bit of an aircraft nut and have lots of family ties to BAE and Rolls-Royce, so I don't mind the view.
Haha, nice! I'm in the south, not incredibly far from the airport.

Quote:
The one thing about the English TV versions that I don't like though is the completely change timeline, all the books are done in the wrong order. Dogs of Riga is the second book, not one of the last.
That's one thing that threw me in a way; wondered how it was going to work. Perhaps they don't flow as in the books? I don't know, just a guess.