Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
O'Reilly to support multi-format e-books, goes ePub

Hot on the heels of this week's annoncement of the Global Reader platform adopting the IDPF ePub standard, O'Reilly's Andrew Savikas revealed today that

- "through oreilly.com we will offer a select number of books as a bundle of three ebook formats (EPUB, PDF, and Kindle-compatible Mobipocket) for a single price -- at or below the book's cover price -- starting in early July."

- "these files (like all our PDFs currently for sale) will be released without any DRM, though we are exploring some custom watermarking options."

- "if you buy the PDF now, you'll receive the EPUB and Mobipocket versions as a free update once they're available in early July."

- "O'Reilly has agreed to sell select ebooks for the Kindle through Amazon."

Despite the fact that at least initially, only a few select titles will be available as multi-format e-books, this news must be the most beautiful music for every salivating e-book junkie. O'Reilly, you go!

[via ePub Books]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
epub, no drm, multi-format bundle ???? it's like a miracle !! somebody give o'reilly some karma !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
epub, no drm, multi-format bundle ???? it's like a miracle !! somebody give o'reilly some karma !!!
Heh, and you forgot: "for a single price -- at or below the book's cover price".
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Most Whole-heartedly agreed!

I've run out of space on my PRS-500 many times over already. With the expection of dead tree editions of books that some publishers continue to refuse to convert to electronic format (Wheel of Time, Drizzt, James Clavell) the only books I actually BUY any more are computer books.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
O'Reilly was - and still is - a leading adopter to new technologies. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
"these files (like all our PDFs currently for sale) will be released without any DRM, though we are exploring some custom watermarking options."
No DRM - but watermarking. Its safe enough and doesnt annoy your customers. The future is near

Quote:
Despite the fact that at least initially, only a few select titles will be available as multi-format e-books
This actually disturbs me a little.
Have faith O'Reilly!
But I agree - its very good news (and another reason to buy their products)
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
No DRM - but watermarking. Its safe enough and doesnt annoy your customers. The future is near
it seems so, doesn't it ? this is very encouraging. let's hope all the other publishers follow their example.
Quote:
But I agree - its very good news (and another reason to buy their products)
luckily, i already think they write very good guides, and have bought their books in the past. now i have even more reasons to buy more from them.

and i'm sure they will eventually publish all their titles this way. especially if they sell a lot of the early titles. hint, hint.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
- "if you buy the PDF now, you'll receive the EPUB and Mobipocket versions as a free update once they're available in early July."
OK -- I'm going to take the risk. This is quite an attractive offer.

Quote:
Despite the fact that at least initially, only a few select titles will be available as multi-format e-books, this news must be the most beautiful music for every salivating e-book junkie. O'Reilly, you go!
Since I'm trying to become more knowledgeable about XML, Web Services, ATOM, AJAX, and Web 2.0 stuff, I'll bet I can find at least *ONE* book that I want.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Since I'm trying to become more knowledgeable about XML, Web Services, ATOM, AJAX, and Web 2.0 stuff, I'll bet I can find at least *ONE* book that I want.
I know the feeling! Too bad we only got max 24 hours a day to learn...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Let me in on this...
What's their URL??? (i.e. webpage)
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

http://www.oreilly.com/
Old 06-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Thanks
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
nathany
Enthusiast
nathany doesn't litternathany doesn't litter

Device: Kobo h2o
This makes my inner geek very happy. :-)
nathany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
Maybe my interpretation is wrong. Are they saying that more of their catalog will be available on the Kindle than in other formats for other readers?
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
Maybe my interpretation is wrong. Are they saying that more of their catalog will be available on the Kindle than in other formats for other readers?
I believe their are specifically supporting the Kindle by offering their titles in the Amazon Kindle Store; but since they're now stressing multi-format e-books, I don't think you'll see more e-books in the Kindle-Mobipocket version than in any other format.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #15
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
Hurray! Two days ago I was looking for some stuff I could take with me on my next journey, and thought ... 'oreilly ... why don't they sell mobipocket or something'

Seems there is proof of the theory of Rupert Sheldrake. (http://www.sheldrake.org , read a bit, if you think its nonesense at first glance.)

Now they should get rid of that Safari stuff. I'm curious if there will be something I am going to buy.
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, oreilly