Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Unhappy Instapaper epubs - no text on Kobo or ADE

Something has changed on me recently. Instapaper epubs of articles from e.g. New York Times, no longer display the body text on either my Kobo Touch or in Adobe Digital Editions If I load the epub in Calibre I can read the text fine. On the Kobo or ADE I only get the heading and no text.

I tried an experiment of loading the epub in Calibre and doing a epub->epub convert and resaving it. After that the epub worked fine in ADE and on the Kobo.

What is going on?
Instapaper, ADE & Kobo were all working fine for me a month ago. What's changed?
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
I haven't loaded a new Instapaper digest in a few weeks; is the text on all articles invisible? (I'll try to reproduce the bug soon.)

Once we get some more detail, you or I should email Marco (Instapaper dev.) I know he's been adjusting the eReader output a fair bit due to the new Kindles (eg: the new linked ToC on page 1 of the epubs)
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
I think instapaper changed

was using it a lot a while ago. not so much now. They've added in the need to authenticate a lot and password protected accounts

a couple other changes as well to how stuff processes. You might want to go to intapaper site itself and see if there's any particular change to the digests or the output files themselves
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novou View Post
I haven't loaded a new Instapaper digest in a few weeks; is the text on all articles invisible? (I'll try to reproduce the bug soon.)

Once we get some more detail, you or I should email Marco (Instapaper dev.) I know he's been adjusting the eReader output a fair bit due to the new Kindles (eg: the new linked ToC on page 1 of the epubs)
I created a new instapaper with nytimes, bbc.co.uk, nzherald.co.nz, & another nytimes.
Only the nytimes articles would not display the body text in ADE.
Text from bbc.co.uk and nzherald displayed fine.

Yes, posting a bug report would be good. I will have a go at that later. @novou, Your most welcome to do it first. Any hints welcome.

Cheers.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
rjcroy
Bibliophile

I just tried another instapaper and got different results. This time the first article (from the Dwarf Fortress Wiki) did not display, but the now second nytimes article did! This article previously had not.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Seems to be an Instapaper change. This thread in the Sony forum is people having the same issues as you: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161834
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
rjcroy
Bibliophile

@robko Thanks for finding that!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
opennomad
opennomad doesn't litteropennomad doesn't litter

Device: kobo
easy fix using tidy

I just managed to get my epubs from instapaper working well again by unzipping them, running the html through tidy and then rezipping them

I summarized the process here http://opennomad.com/content/instapaper-epub-issues

This works great on a Linux box, but should also work on other boxes that have tidy available.

Cheers,

\@matthias
opennomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
caifara
caifara began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Thanks @opennomad.

I took the opportunity to take this one step further: https://github.com/caifara/Instapaper2Kobo

(Not for the faint of heart however)
caifara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, adobe digital editions, instapaper, kobo, touch