Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #16
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
On the plus side for Kobo, the company is rolling out a new price-matching service. It's already available in the US.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #17
Rockin
Enthusiast
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
On the plus side for Kobo, the company is rolling out a new price-matching service. It's already available in the US.
I noticed this the other day too but this is the first time back to MR forums. I was going to mention this to see if others noticed or have tried it out. They will return the price difference +10%.

I also noticed not to distant in the past, that the prices of books seemed to be in line with Google Play and Amazon. In the US anyway and my sample size is small - checking about 20 books. I've actually gone back to purchasing from Kobo after previously switching to Google Play.
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
In fact, I think the Kobo vs. Kindle screen quality arguments tend to be nearly as futile as the battery debates, with much conflict of opinions on both sides.
Given that both companies are obtaining their screens from the same supplier, I tend to rate those seeing major differences between, for example, the Kindle Voyage and Kobo Glo HD screens as being on a par with the golden ears crowd -- a group who once believed that running a green marker pen around the edges of a CD improved the sound. (*)

I've looked at several Voyages and Glo HDs and the screen and lighting are not identical but comparing Voyages to Voyages and Glo HDs to Glo HDs shows the same results. Just read an expletive deleted book instead of staring at the screen and worrying that someone else has a better screen.

For those who enjoy the humour of it:

* "But the scattered laser light does not simply cease to exist! Rather, it reverberates and echoes around in the medium, much the same way that ambient sounds persist in any real world space except the anechoic studio. This cumulatively produces the 'airy,' 'spacious,' 'cloying,' 'harsh,' concert-hall feeling that the audio engineers try so hard to eliminate when they produce a 'dry' sounding master."

Perhaps not surprisingly, the company that produced that spiel no longer exists.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-08-2016 at 01:19 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given that both companies are obtaining their screens from the same supplier, I tend to rate those seeing major differences between, for example, the Kindle Voyage and Kobo Glo HD screens as being on a par with the golden ears crowd -- a group who once believed that running a green marker pen around the edges of a CD improved the sound.
What it could be is that the screen on the Kindle is older than the screen on the Glo HD and maybe its just a variation on the screens and the Glo HD screen had the better variation.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What it could be is that the screen on the Kindle is older than the screen on the Glo HD and maybe its just a variation on the screens and the Glo HD screen had the better variation.
Even if the screens were identical, the Kobo readers have great font adjustments that can darken and thicken the font (plus let you add your own font preferences). When I compare my adjusted fonts on both the Kobo Glo and Glo HD to the Kindle, they both are much better than the PW2 for readability for me. The fonts look black on the Kobo readers and look gray and thin on the Kindle.

So that could easily make Kobo screens look better to others when compared to Kindle screens as it definitely does to me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The differences I saw when comparing a Glo HD screen to a Voyage screens were pretty much the same as the differences when comparing the screens between two Voyages or 2 Glo HDs. Pretty much eInk's manufacturing variations, IMNSHO.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote