Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Can the spontaneous formatting of books on the Reader be controlled?

Yesterday, just because I've never done this, I removed my 1-gig card from my Reader while the Reader was on. I purchased the SD card back in December and had never removed it.

Performance really is extremely faster without the card in the Reader, in case anyone has forgotten that. Anyway....

I thought I'd live with what I had on my Reader, but I was missing those 270-odd titles available at my slightest whim on the card. I like having whims....

I put the card back in - with the Reader on, of course - and turned it off and then back on.

Titles that are on the card retain their formatting [S, M, L), but anything that was left on the Reader - regardless of what Folder it's in on the Reader, whether purchased or just added - goes through a formatting sequence [S, M, L) when looked at.

As an experiment, I deleted one purchased book from the Reader and then reloaded it back on, and it doesn't go through any fomatting.

Now I'm wondering if I shoudn't just delete every book from the Reader and then simply reload those titles back again via Connect. It would certainly save the hassle of watching those two little arrows. You see, I only have a finite number of years to live, perhaps only 20-30 years...

I'm wondering if anyone has discovered a way to avoid this, just because an SD card is removed.

Seriouslyk, this no big deal, but it is somewhat of an irritant. Who knows, I might have another whim....

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-28-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never actually heard of that as a problem before. I'll have to give it a testing sometime.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Connect adds page layout information when it uploads the books. If you bypass it and put books directly on the card using a card reader, the formatting will have to be done by the Reader itself.
Also, sometimes the layout cache file gets corrupted and the Reader has to redo the formatting.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Connect adds page layout information when it uploads the books. If you bypass it and put books directly on the card using a card reader, the formatting will have to be done by the Reader itself.
Also, sometimes the layout cache file gets corrupted and the Reader has to redo the formatting.
One way to corrupt the layout cache info is to pull out the USB cable before the reader is done writing to it. Then you end up losing your last read page, history, bookmarks, and the reader has to generate the layout info for every bnook you have on the reader as you go to view and if you change the font size, it has to deal with that. Best idea is to never unplug the USB cable till the Reader is done. And then close connect just to make sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote