Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
danmonterey
danmonterey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Unhappy Multi-Platform Download & Tracking Issues

I have a Kindle2 and I also run Kindle apps on two Macs, an iPhone and an iPad. I've bought about 70 books so far without any serious glitches and have been reading titles on multiple devices with absolute transparency.

Suddenly, I've had two anomalous experiences.

First, last week I bought a new book and I was asked to choose the device to which it should be delivered. I don't recall ever being asked that before, but I thought maybe it was a new "feature" of the service, so I told it to ship it to my iPad and went about my business. The next day I wanted to pick up reading the book on my Kindle, so I went to the Archived Items area to order it downloaded. It wasn't there. I figured it must have already been in the active Library. Nope. I finally had to go to the Manage Your Kindle portion of the amazon.com site and download it to the Kindle explicitly.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this a new policy or feature? If so, it sucks. It makes reading books across devices much less transparent and usable.

Second, I have another title that I read first partly on my Kindle, then some on my iPad, then back on my Kindle. I do a fair amount of highlighting when reading non-ficition, and I had done some with this book.

Last night, I opened the book on my iPad, went back to a chapter I'd read previously to make notes for a speech I'm giving tomorrow, and then looked at the book again on the iPad later. The highlights in the earlier chapter are present in the chapter but when I click on the "Show Notes and Marks" on my Mac desktop version of the app, none of the new highlights are shown. The older ones are there, but the ones I added last night are not showing up. I've done a sync-and-check with no luck. The iPad doesn't have that feature, but on the Kindle, the new highlights are also not displayed on the menu., nor are they highlighted in the text.

This is putting a huge dent in my reason for using Kindle at all.

Am I just misunderstanding something here or is this behavior symptomatic of new bugs?
danmonterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Sounds like a job for Customer Service, please get back to us with their answer. (During the roll out of 2.5 there is the possibility of all sorts of abnormalities.)
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
highlighting, kindle2, multiple devices, sync