Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 06:16 PM   #1
srwswish
srwswish began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
Best Reader that works with Calibre??

Hi All,

New to this forum and site. Is there a good replacement for Marvin that works with Calibre now that I can't get Marvin in the Appstore? I know there are workarounds but just wondering if someone has a suggestion that works as well or better.

Or is there a better book organizer like Calibre with a good reader? Thanks for responses. Look like there is some good info on this site.

Steve
srwswish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:27 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There is nothing even close to Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 11:22 AM   #3
seannymurrs
seannymurrs began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro (10.5")
BookFusion
seannymurrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:01 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannymurrs View Post
BookFusion
Which is of no use AT ALL if you use an e-ink reader, as I discovered when checking out their website. Calibre 1 - BookFusion 0
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:08 PM   #5
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
It entirely depends on what you want to do. I have just made the decision to abandon all my many eReader devices and switch to apple iPads for reading and buying books. I have discovered that Bookfusion imports my entire library from Calibre and enables me to view them via the Apple system. My research seemed to show no other comparable system. Alfa library has been promising an Apple system for years, still to no avail.
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2024, 02:10 AM   #6
seannymurrs
seannymurrs began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro (10.5")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Which is of no use AT ALL if you use an e-ink reader, as I discovered when checking out their website. Calibre 1 - BookFusion 0
Did you even read OPs original post?
seannymurrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:38 AM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannymurrs View Post
Did you even read OPs original post?
It seems I misread it, badly. My apologies.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:51 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Apple doesn't make any eink devices.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:29 AM   #9
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
I am using MapleRead SE.

The operating philosophy is somewhat different (at first looked complicated to me) but you get used to it.

You can connect to calibre's Content Server and - after saving books from inside calibre to disk - you can use standard file transfer once the iPhone is connected to your computer. And there is AirDrop, of course.
Series and tags from calibre are shown and accessible in MapleRead.

There are 3 different versions of MapleRead, I am using the SE version.
Somewhere in this forum MapleRead has been discussed as well.
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:41 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It looks like the OP is using an iPhone and given that Marvin is an iOS program, there's nothing wrong with BookFusion as a suggestion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 09:05 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwswish View Post
Hi All,

New to this forum and site. Is there a good replacement for Marvin that works with Calibre now that I can't get Marvin in the Appstore? I know there are workarounds but just wondering if someone has a suggestion that works as well or better.

Or is there a better book organizer like Calibre with a good reader? Thanks for responses. Look like there is some good info on this site.

Steve
If you ever do want to get an eInk based Reader, the best one for use with calibre is currently the Kobo Libra 2. It works very well with calibre and you get a lot of ways to manage your eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 08:16 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are several apps that support OPDS, which calibre server conforms to: PocketBook Reader, BookFusion to name a couple (the later has a calibre plugin).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 12:38 PM   #13
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post
I am using MapleRead SE.

The operating philosophy is somewhat different (at first looked complicated to me) but you get used to it.
Series and tags from calibre are shown and accessible in MapleRead.

There are 3 different versions of MapleRead, I am using the SE version.
Somewhere in this forum MapleRead has been discussed as well.
I, too, use MapleRead SE for my catalog. One thing I wish MapleRead could do is show series info on the second line. If I'm reading a series I have to sort by author series to find the newest one. I usually keep the order as last added, but I can't tell if it is a series book unless I sort, then I have to resort. The only way around it is to add the series to the title manually before transfer. No, MapleRead does not add series to title automatically through Calibre.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 02:14 PM   #14
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
.... No, MapleRead does not add series to title automatically through Calibre.
Yes, well - it is somewhat complicated. The series information IS added and CAN be shown. But you are right, it is not as easy as it was with Marvin. It takes some more clicks and is not really straight forward.

The entire menu navigation appears to have been made by computer scientists for computer scientists
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 02:42 PM   #15
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post
Yes, well - it is somewhat complicated. The series information IS added and CAN be shown. But you are right, it is not as easy as it was with Marvin. It takes some more clicks and is not really straight forward.

The entire menu navigation appears to have been made by computer scientists for computer scientists
I would so much appreciate it if someone could step me through how to add the series information!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#calbire, #ereader, #iphone, #marvin