Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2023, 04:44 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It will sell because it's Apple and there are people who have their wallet ready even before it's announced, but I'm sceptical this is anything but a fad. At this price this is not a device for the masses and unlike phones, this has a much narrower use case. I'd expect the main use for these to be gaming, but that doesn't seem to be how this is advertised, more like a consumption device. Then there is the creepy factor to this as well.
Even if it fails as a VR Headset, it could succeed as a TV.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #17
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... For single people.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2023, 12:12 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
At that money you could tile the entire room with TVs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Watching TV is usually a communal thing, you do it with family or friends, and this is the opposite. So while it can have its uses, maybe as they showed while on a long flight, I think expecting people to use this as a generic TV replacement is misplaced.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:52 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Watching TV is usually a communal thing, you do it with family or friends, and this is the opposite. So while it can have its uses, maybe as they showed while on a long flight, I think expecting people to use this as a generic TV replacement is misplaced.
With SharePlay you can watch with up to 33 people (with or without Vision Pro).

There are certainly large numbers of solitary people. It would be an elegant alternative to finding room for a 50"+ HDTV in a small studio apartment as well. And use it for other things as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2023, 09:23 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

There are certainly large numbers of solitary people. It would be an elegant alternative to finding room for a 50"+ HDTV in a small studio apartment as well. And use it for other things as well.
Yes, shareplay at 3,5K a pop, let's do that instead of sitting all on the sofa and socialize

The way you describe it sounds to me like "well, we made this, let's see if we can figure out what we could use it for".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:00 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, shareplay at 3,5K a pop, let's do that instead of sitting all on the sofa and socialize

The way you describe it sounds to me like "well, we made this, let's see if we can figure out what we could use it for".
To a large extent I think that is the case.

Apple has been working on this thing for 7 years, and watched everybody else pretty much fail at selling things like this. They know what they're getting into, and are betting that the key is to start with a high bar spec-wise, to make sure it can handle whatever developers can come up with. Maybe they aren't even making the usual cost margin at $3500.

It's up to developers to make the use cases and experiences that will entice people to get one.

It doesn't ship for 9 months or so. I think that is partly because they know they'll need to make software adjustments while working with developers.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:45 AM   #23
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:

You can already do this sort of thing now with an Oculus Quest 2 and the Bigscreen app. And it's only $300. I've done just that and it can be fun but setup is involved compared to just flicking on the TV. But it still only makes sense to do it watching a movie without another real person in the room.

Yes, the Vision Pro has better displays and it should solve the "where is my drink?" problem of the Oculus Quest but it is over ten times the cost. I really can't see it replacing too many TV sets.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #24
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Lots of people. Think of what a lot of people spend on a TV. The Vision Pro is supposed to be really good for watching TV.
I spent absolutely nothing on my TV on a force will spend all that money for just a headset
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:48 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I've been playing with Vision OS SDK.

The simulator is a little rough, but you can run live versions of Safari, News, FreeForm, Calendar, Maps, Files, and Photos (Books app thumbnail shows on Compatible Apps folder thumbnail, but it is not actually there when you open that up).

Screenshot is reading with read.amazon.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simulator Screenshot - Apple Vision Pro - 2023-07-01 at 15.30.39.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	202392  
Old 08-30-2023, 10:55 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Turns out there is a Kindle app for visionOS. But I cannot figure out how to install in the simulator, as it does not have an App Store right now, and Apple has not seen fit to send me a prototype Vision Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.54.15 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	203460  

Last edited by tomsem; 08-31-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:08 AM   #27
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I wonder what effect long term use on a regular basis will have on a person’s vision?

Will “goggle head” become a new buzzword in the medical profession for those who turn face and head into an oddly disfigured shape due to wearing these too long and too frequent?

Will psychology identify a new social disorder wherein couch potatoes with a goggle addiction turn even more antisocial to the point of not remembering how to get along with others? No wait, that already happened because of social media…

Seriously though, I can see where these things would be beneficial in science and many industrial uses. I can imagine it would be possible for a surgeon to wear them and perform remote surgery, for example.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

It appears pretty much all iOS and iPad apps will be available on visionOS. The App Store will be showing up in the SDK simulator in the next update or two. It will be interesting to track visionOS specific features that appear in next few months in said apps.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:50 PM   #29
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
It appears pretty much all iOS and iPad apps will be available on visionOS. The App Store will be showing up in the SDK simulator in the next update or two. It will be interesting to track visionOS specific features that appear in next few months in said apps.
Don't hold your breath...most iPadOS apps still won't even run on macOS. Apple is full of hot air, typical BS marketing we see across the industry. With iPadOS apps they left it up to the developers to adapt their iPadOS apps to run in macOS. If Apple leaves it up to the developers to adapt their iOS and iPadOS apps to run in visionOS, I wouldn't expect very many to appear anytime soon. If I were an iOS and/or iPadOS developer I would view visionOS as another Newton, and thus I would drag my feet to see just how big (or incredibly small) that market will become. At the price range of this headset I suspect their will be an issue with sales, and I doubt very many beyond hardcore gamers who never date will buy it. Even if some within the scientific community adopt it, there will likely be very few purchases therein. I think it might be a terrific gadget, but I suspect its cost will doom it to failure.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-10-2023 at 01:02 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 03:19 AM   #30
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Don't hold your breath...most iPadOS apps still won't even run on macOS. Apple is full of hot air, typical BS marketing we see across the industry. With iPadOS apps they left it up to the developers to adapt their iPadOS apps to run in macOS. If Apple leaves it up to the developers to adapt their iOS and iPadOS apps to run in visionOS, I wouldn't expect very many to appear anytime soon.
Why are you blaming Apple for the lack of developer support in porting their apps? Would you prefer Apple to strong arm the developers, and force all iOS apps to run on macOS?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote