Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogene View Post
Like all conformists, you have no imagination, and you pretend that I am the only one who sees this society as insane, unable to see far beyond your limited horizon.
You can only express your pathetic fears, seeing me as a dictator but unable to see capitalism as a worldwide dictatorship. Do you have any idea how exploited the people who produce and ship most of your goods are? How little freedom they really have?
Any other form of society can only repel you. You are so rigid.
Tell us how neurotically your parents raised you!
Can you even face your unconscious, obedient sheep?
Tell us your solution to all these problems. C'mon, I can't wait to hear..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Paying someone for something that they do not have the right to send you is illegal. Yes.
Is it really? So if you pay them and they then fool you and do not send it have you done something illegal? I thought it was the actual sending of the material that was the most problematic and possibly also that receiving it is problematic but there I think it can depend on the exact circumstances.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #33
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogene View Post
Like all conformists, you have no imagination, and you pretend that I am the only one who sees this society as insane, unable to see far beyond your limited horizon.
You can only express your pathetic fears, seeing me as a dictator but unable to see capitalism as a worldwide dictatorship. Do you have any idea how exploited the people who produce and ship most of your goods are? How little freedom they really have?
Any other form of society can only repel you. You are so rigid.
Tell us how neurotically your parents raised you!
Can you even face your unconscious, obedient sheep?
Well, aren't you just the little pontificator? Seriously, do you make a lot of friends with this attitude? And, why (just out of curiosity) do you wander into a community full of people you consider inferior to yourself?

In addition, before you put yourself out as knowing all about someone such as myself, how much research do you do? Any? None at all? My guess is, it's the latter. If you had done any (and I do mean "any") research at all, you would know that there is almost nothing about me that resembles an obedient "sheep." Just ask Nate the Great (ain't that right, Nate).

Now, again, we come to the inescapable fact that your English is .... well, lacking. I understand you are trying very hard to appear intelligent to a (mostly) English speaking audience, but really, it's not working.

For example, the sentence, "Tell us how neurotically your parents raised you!" is ambiguous at best. Do you mean that I should tell you that my parents were neurotic? Or that they raised me to be neurotic? And, since I wasn't raised by my parents through most of my formative years, how would I know how they would have raised a child?

I don't see you as a dictator. You haven't risen to that level of authority in my universe. And, just saying you are a genius doesn't make you one either. No, rather I see you as a control freak ... a sad, rambling, control freak. And, that makes me almost feel sorry for you.

I certainly don't fear you. In point of fact, there is very little that I do fear. Of course, that comes from living in an area in which, if you step outside at night at the wrong time of year, you are very likely to end up as a mountain lion's late night snack.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I keep trying to overlook your broad generalizations and find the humanity in your writing, but honestly, have you expressed a single thought of your own since you busted onto the threads yesterday? Your mind seems to be already made up that you are oppressed or whatever, and you insist on letting everyone know how badly the world is treating you.

Try to concentrate on doing good and helping others, and you will never have to worry about breaking the the law.

(Was that me being nasty? Where oh where is that mailman with my Zoloft refills? )
Good try, DixieGal, but this pathetic teen-age loser is not into 'helping others'.
He simply wants to create animosity and get people riled up, something he's done admirably.
I'm picturing him in his parents basement, in his underwear, taking all his frustrations out on this site. Most likely because his parents wouldn't buy him a new phone.........
Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #35
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Please let's not drag this thread into one filled with discourteous rancor. I think the question that was originally asked is a legitimate one and if there's information relevant to that I think people would truly like to hear about it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #36
cynoclast
Enthusiast
cynoclast began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N810 (FBReader), iPhone 3GS (Stanza/Kindle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, i completely agree with you...

...and with you.

well, i suppose there is still the option of buying the broken kindle... although it seems rather silly to have to jump through all these hoops just to be able to buy books, doesn't it ?
I guess, but is it actually possible to get the book you bought without a functioning kindle? This is rather important.
cynoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #37
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is it really? So if you pay them and they then fool you and do not send it have you done something illegal? I thought it was the actual sending of the material that was the most problematic and possibly also that receiving it is problematic but there I think it can depend on the exact circumstances.
Yes, actually, it is illegal to pay someone for what you know to be stolen property regardless of whether or not they actually do give it to you in completion of the transaction.

Both sides of the equation are crimes, just different crimes (at least in the US). However, they would add up as a conspiracy to commit a theft. For example, but well off the topic of books, if I were to pay you to steal a car for me, I would be taking an action in furtherance of a conspiracy to commit theft, even if (and this is the kicker), you never actually went out and stole the damn car. Shocking, I know, but still true.

So ... yep, if X pays Y to send him files that X knows perfectly well are going to be copyright infringing files, whether or not Y actually sends them, X is still guilty of a crime. And, if Y sends the files, then they are both guilty of committing crimes. Of course, I suppose that if X paid Y and Y didn't follow through, X would have Y dead to rights on a breach of contract claim, except for the fact that it would be void as an illegal contract.

Oh .... man, this takes me back.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #38
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynoclast View Post
I guess, but is it actually possible to get the book you bought without a functioning kindle? This is rather important.
Okay lets be serious. Before you can purchase a Kindle book, you must have a Kindle registered to your amazon account.
The book can be downloaded to your computer, but is only readable on the registered Kindle.

So Im saying the answer is "no".

Last edited by desertgrandma; 12-10-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: changed 'tied' to 'registered'
Old 12-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
hm, i believe you can download the book to your computer, then transfer it (somewhere...) via data cable... otherwise, what would you when you are in an area where the whispernet does not work ? perhaps a kindle owner can confirm this.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #40
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Yes, actually, it is illegal to pay someone for what you know to be stolen property regardless of whether or not they actually do give it to you in completion of the transaction.

Both sides of the equation are crimes, just different crimes (at least in the US). However, they would add up as a conspiracy to commit a theft. For example, but well off the topic of books, if I were to pay you to steal a car for me, I would be taking an action in furtherance of a conspiracy to commit theft, even if (and this is the kicker), you never actually went out and stole the damn car. Shocking, I know, but still true.

So ... yep, if X pays Y to send him files that X knows perfectly well are going to be copyright infringing files, whether or not Y actually sends them, X is still guilty of a crime. And, if Y sends the files, then they are both guilty of committing crimes. Of course, I suppose that if X paid Y and Y didn't follow through, X would have Y dead to rights on a breach of contract claim, except for the fact that it would be void as an illegal contract.

Oh .... man, this takes me back.
i still don't see how this would be theft. it may be a violation of amazon's tos or something similar, but if the book is actually paid for, never copied or distributed other than to the person who paid for it, how is that theft OR copyright infringement ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #41
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Yes, it is possible to get the book you bought without a functioning Kindle. All you need to have is the serial number for that Kindle so that you can register it to your account. You could then download books to your computer and transfer them to your other reading device after converting them.

However, you would need to break the DRM in order to do the conversion. While this would be a violation of your service agreement with Amazon, I frankly doubt that anyone would really give a rat's ass about it. I know I wouldn't.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #42
cynoclast
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, aren't you just the little pontificator?
Could you guys take this to another thread?

I'm not picking on you in particular, Ricky, but that quoted phrase just screams flamebait.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #43
cynoclast
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, it is possible to get the book you bought without a functioning Kindle. All you need to have is the serial number for that Kindle so that you can register it to your account. You could then download books to your computer and transfer them to your other reading device after converting them.
Thank you.

Can anyone else confirm?

No offense, Ricky, but I don't know you from the next person on here, and I don't want to buy even a broken kindle for nothing.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #44
cynoclast
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i still don't see how this would be theft.
Copyright infringement is not theft, despite the propaganda of the recording industry.

Copyright infringement is civil, theft is criminal. Huge difference.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #45
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
(Man, it's hard to ask a legitimate question sometimes without putting a bee up someone's backside.)

Let me try to rationally ask a couple of questions. If you know me, you'll know I'm not trying to hack, steal, or support global anticapitalism. So please don't beat me up!

1. Has anyone with a device capable of reading Mobipocket files (that could be PC or a handheld device) asked someone from Amazon and expressed their desire to purchase one of the ebooks they sell? Surely they understand that these Mobipocket files could be read on other devices. I simply want to know if someone has received a response other than "No".

2. Zelda and others have mentioned that the ebooks must be delivered in some ways other than whispernet. If they are available on their PC, can the owner of a Kindle also read these files on a Cybook, for example?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote