Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
brolny
Connoisseur
brolny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil Book View mode. Search stop / infinite loop.

Occurs on searching for one or more characters in the Book View mode.
- If a character(s) occurs once and the latest in the line, then there is a full stop searching.
- If the character(s) in the line occurs more than once (and one of it is latest in the line), then there is a infinite loop on this string.

The problem occurs only when the search direction is "downwards" and not on every html tag.

Try to find "y" ("ay","day") in the attached file (in the Book View mode).

PS
It looks like search function sometime begins from begining of the line, not from next char...
Attached Files
File Type: epub find.epub (13.9 KB, 187 views)
brolny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be fair: searching in Book View hasn't really been supported for quite some time. In fact, I was under the impression that searching automatically switched from Book View to Code View, but that appears to only be on "All HTML files" or "Selected Files." Not sure why it doesn't switch when searching the "Current File" (or if it's supposed to, or if it ever did).

But either way, it definitely shouldn't be hanging things. I'll see if I can duplicate the issue when I get a little time.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-13-2016 at 01:18 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolny View Post
Occurs on searching for one or more characters in the Book View mode.
I'm a bit confused. As soon as you search for a letter or string in Book View mode Sigil will switch to Code View mode. I.e. there can't be a Book View search issue.
And in Code View mode, it'll find all occurrences. At least I wasn't able to duplicate your problem.
Can you please post detailed steps to reproduce this issue?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
PS
It looks like search function sometime begins from begining of the line, not from next char...
That does seem to be true in Book View, though not in Code View.

When I do any find on your sample whilst in Book View Sigil switches to Code View. I couldn't get the 'looping' condition - what do you mean by that, i.e. what are the symptoms, and on what OS. I have Sigil on Windows 10.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You guys can't get it to stay in Book View when the search options are set to "Current File"? I expected it to switch to Code View as well--but it didn't. It only switched to Code View when "All HTML Files" or "Selected Files", was chosen. But "Current File" allowed the search to proceed in Book View for me (on Linux and Windows). I was kind of surprised by it, to tell the truth. It makes a bit of sense, though. "Current File" is the only way to search css files. I just assumed html files would always switch to Code View. Shows what I know!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-13-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Advert
Old 07-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I can duplicate this. I created another test EPUB with this code:

Spoiler:

Code:
  <p>Search for "ay" in Book View with "Current File" turned on:</p>

<p><b>&lt;p&gt; (Pass):</b></p>

<p>today</p>

<p>today</p>

<p><b>&lt;div&gt; (Pass):</b></p>

<div>
    today
  </div>

<p><b>&lt;p&gt; with &lt;br /&gt; (Fail):</b></p>

<p>today<br/> today<br/> (no stop) today</p>

<p><b>&lt;p&gt; with &lt;br /&gt; (Pass):</b></p>

<p>todays<br/> todays<br/> (no stop) todays</p>

<p><b>&lt;div&gt; with &lt;br /&gt; (Fail):</b></p>

<div>
    today<br/>

today<br/>

(no stop) today
  </div>

<p><b>&lt;dt&gt; and &lt;dd&gt; (Fail):</b></p>

<dl>
    <dt>today</dt>

<dd>today</dd>
  </dl>

<p><b>&lt;ul&gt; (Pass):</b></p>

<ul>
    <li>today</li>

<li>today</li>
  </ul>

<p><b>&lt;ol&gt; (Pass):</b></p>

<ol>
    <li>today</li>

<li>today</li>
  </ol>

<p><b>&lt;blockquote&gt; (Pass):</b></p>

<blockquote>
    today
  </blockquote>

Sigil's Book View search works fine on <p> + <div> + <blockquote> + <ul>/<ol>/<li>.

The search seems to break when:
  1. The thing you are searching for is at the very end of a line
  2. It is in <dt>/<dd> OR it hits a <br />

The search seems to work perfectly normal if you are searching for something like the "o" in today.
Attached Files
File Type: epub BookViewSearch[Test2].epub (2.0 KB, 139 views)
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

But it's not really "hanging," or stuck in a loop is it? It just stops finding any further occurrences until you move the cursor, right?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It just stops finding any further occurrences until you move the cursor, right?
Yep. Once you reach one of these oddities, you keep hitting "Find" and it will stay stuck in the same position.

You would have to then move the cursor to the next line and continue your search.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:12 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Yep. Once you reach one of these oddities, you keep hitting "Find" and it will stay stuck in the same position.

You would have to then move the cursor to the next line and continue your search.
Not to quibble, but...that's not really looping, is it? Is that what the OP is describing? What loopy behavior are you seeing, Tex?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #10
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Not to quibble, but...that's not really looping, is it? Is that what the OP is describing?
I suspected "infinite loop" was just poor choice of wording on brolny's part (English doesn't seem to be his native language).

Probably a better choice would have been the search gets "stuck" at the end of a line, and the way to get it "unstuck" is to move the cursor beyond that point, then continue searching.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suspected "infinite loop" was just poor choice of wording on brolny's part (English doesn't seem to be his native language).

Probably a better choice would have been the search gets "stuck" at the end of a line, and the way to get it "unstuck" is to move the cursor beyond that point, then continue searching.
Ah. I'm happier with "stuck" than loops. Loops just seem to always be bigger issues than stuck.

Hitch
Old 07-14-2016, 03:33 AM   #12
brolny
Connoisseur
brolny began at the beginning.

Quote:

Yes, infinite loop was bad choice. Sorry for my English.
brolny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes, infinite loop was bad choice. Sorry for my English.
Don't apologize. Nothing to be sorry for. I just got...confused, in trying to find the loop. I'm actually glad it's NOT a loop. Loops, at my shop, seem to come from the Devil himself. STUCK is something that we can at least work around, until a resolution is found.

Hitch