Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Cecell3000
Enthusiast
Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
screensaver kobo Glo

Hi,

I'm using custom screensaver in the firmware 3.1.1 and it works very well.

site:http://minutodroid.blogspot.com/2014...-kobo-glo.html

but it does not work on 3.2.0 firmware.
is there any way to use in firmware 3.2.0?

another question:
in the firmware 3.2.0 I can not use "/ usr / local / Kobo / pickel showpic" (tested with telnet) , anyone know how to use with firmware 3.2.0 ?

EDIT:
now works correctly

Thanks.

sorry English (google translator)

Last edited by Cecell3000; 01-23-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Cecell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hello, Cecell3000. I see you're rather new to the place. Welcome to MobileRead. Here's a tip on How To Post YouTube Videos in MobileRead Posts:

1 Copy the url of the video you want to post:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmeqJF-Q3I
2 Delete everything up to and including the equals sign from that link:
yVmeqJF-Q3I
3 Add the YouTube tags:
[YOUTUBE]yVmeqJF-Q3I[/YOUTUBE]
4 Post.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you don't want to describe your work, present the code/script you are using, and are just looking for comments about your video, you should probably not be posting in the Kobo Developers Corner but in the Kobo Reader forum.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecell3000 View Post
another question:
in the firmware 3.2.0 I can not use "/ usr / local / Kobo / pickel showpic" (tested with telnet) , anyone know ho
Interestingly, another Glo owner has also reported this problem. But if pickel showpic does really not work on Glo, I wonder what for instance happens to the on-animation, which uses pickel showpic. Aren't there the dancing squares visible on the Glo when you power it on?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
but it does not work on 3.2.0 firmware.
is there any way to use in firmware 3.2.0?
Apart from not seeing the pictures, how do you see that it is not working. Did you try to write to a log file instead of showing pictures?

I wonder whether you still use the script that Marcelo Silva posted elsewhere. There he saves the rotation used by nickel
Code:
#evita bug na instalacao acidental firmware 3.2.0
currentRotation=$(cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate)
and later on he restores it
Code:
#evita bug na instalacao acidental firmware 3.2.0
echo "$currentRotation" > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
In between of these two points however, he doesn't seem to change the rotation. But I think you should do so, before calling png2raw or pickel. See this post

Last edited by tshering; 04-14-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Cecell3000
Enthusiast
Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Interestingly, another Glo owner has also reported this problem. But if pickel showpic does really not work on Glo, I wonder what for instance happens to the on-animation, which uses pickel showpic. Aren't there the dancing squares visible on the Glo when you power it on?
when using pickel, nothing happens in the physical screen, but appears in the screenshot image (with wrong rotation)

part of the screenshot, appears only in the physical screen, after using the menus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_013.png
Views:	849
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	121712  
Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
when using pickel, nothing happens in the physical screen, but appears in the screenshot image (with wrong rotation)

part of the screenshot, appears only in the physical screen, after using the menus
Did you read my second post (about rotation; post #5)?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #8
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
The problems are three:
  1. Screen is rotated, but input areas are not. For example, if you go to the home and give this command:
    PHP Code:
    echo "1" > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate 
    and touch the top-left corner of the screen, the home icon changed as it was clicked and screen is refreshed. The problem is the screen is rotated by 180°, and home icon is on the bottom-right corner.
  2. If you try the same thing with echo "0" or "2", ie portrait mode, display is completely messed up.
  3. if you do
    PHP Code:
    zcat /etc/images/kraken-on-0.raw.gz  | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic 
    and touch the top-left corner, nothing happens. If you touch instead the top-right corner, screen is refreshed only for the top of the screen, the same thing that the settings menu does. So pickel rotate the screen by 90° without rotating input areas, but things are messed up much more. Image is not displayed even if you rotate the screen by any angles.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
The problems are three:
Since there is no touch input, when the device is in sleep state, I cannot see how these problems are related here.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

I reported them for completeness. The more important info is in the last phrase:
Quote:
(pickel) Image is not displayed even if you rotate the screen by any angles.
And I would add that the screen is not refreshed when you change the orientation. I think that the solution is to find a way to refresh the screen using the shell. The problem is that refreshing is changed by firmware update. Also the Night Mode plugin doesn't refresh the screen anymore.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Ok, I created a program that refreshes the screen, using the Night Mode code. If you run it after pickel, you can see the image.

There's no exception handling and parameters checking, so use at your own risk.

Now the question is: why my program works and refresh in Night Mode not?
Attached Files
File Type: zip screen-refresh.zip (3.7 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-15-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Just to add some information: pickel shows images correctly, as long as nickel has not been started. As soon as nickel has been started, the images don't show, even after killing nickel. Qt executables for instance, can however use the screen normally (even while nickel is runnng).
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I think that the refresh can be performed also sending a buffer to a /sys device. I'm reading drivers/video/mxc/mxcfb_auo.c in Glo linux kernel, and there's an "update" sysfs interface for the store_update() function, that does a full refresh. But
PHP Code:
find /sys -name update 
gives me no result. Do you have any ideas?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
Cecell3000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok, I created a program that refreshes the screen, using the Night Mode code. If you run it after pickel, you can see the image.

There's no exception handling and parameters checking, so use at your own risk.

Now the question is: why my program works and refresh in Night Mode not?
thank you!
now custom screensaver works on firmware 3.2.0 kobo glo
Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #15
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Finally found this thread!!!

Is anybody else still using this?

How about on firmware 3.5?

I'd really love to have screen savers on my glo
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote