Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Need advice picking out a stylus. Which do you use?

I've been thinking of getting one since I have thoughts to use my KF as a notebook for my classes. So I thought to get a stylus and started sifting through the many products and reviews over the net. I just end up getting confused, and figured asking for advice here might probably be best.

Price is not a problem; I would like something durable and long-lasting, as I take notes voraciously in class. Responsiveness is key, though I have read somewhere that a good app makes all the difference.

Electronics here are very, very expensive so I have no intention of wasting my time in the local shops. I may end up buying from Amazon too.

Thanks for your responses!

wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have the Bamboo Stylus. Very, very durable. Pure metal and very nicely built. Glides smoothly too. Worth the less than $30 price tag.

I also have a rocket fish which is thinner/cheaper and lets me patch up small spots in drawings, but I use it less. The Bamboo just feels a lot better in your hands.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
I use the Boxwave from Amazon. It's been pretty good. I like the string because I let it stick out my Marware Jurni zippered compartment and it's easy to grab.
Boxwave Stylus $8
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
stanleystarrh
Banned
stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was curious if there is a noticeable difference in stylus pens? Has anyone had the chance to use two different ones?
stanleystarrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleystarrh View Post
I was curious if there is a noticeable difference in stylus pens? Has anyone had the chance to use two different ones?
Yes. the smaller the nib is, the more on target the movement is. It makes no difference in navigation, but for drawing, yes.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleystarrh View Post
Two? Try about a dozen. Went through fairly extensive testing with the iPad and found that the findings there hold up fairly well for the Kindle Fire. Jessica is correct that the biggest differences show up in drawing and handwriting. Otherwise, it's more a matter of what "feels right" in you hand.

For drawing/writing, the best styluses I've found are from a small internet company (iFaraday.com). They come from a guy in Ohio, I believe, and he has an excellent reputation for standing behind his products and his 100% satisfaction guarantee.

The iFaraday styluses use a conductive fabric tip that has virtually no "drag" when writing. And the "SALT" model is especially good for writing at an acute angle. The tips are relatively small compared to most other styluses and you can choose among a variety of models to suit your preferences.

The only stylus I'd recommend against is the Jot Pro from Adonit. It has a very fine "point" that contacts the screen and a transparent plastic "collar" that makes the broader contact point required by a capacitive screen. Unfortunately, it suffers from "missed strokes" so often that it's almost useless on the Kindle Fire.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I use the Fisher Bullet Space Pen with Stylus available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Bullet-...7089683&sr=8-2
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm going to have to try one of the iFaraday styli. Those look like they may fit the bill.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've got these on the way, but in the meantime I use this one.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'm going to have to try one of the iFaraday styli. Those look like they may fit the bill.
But according to the website there is only one type available -- and it's $26! Not good.

Last edited by Skydog; 05-15-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I've got these on the way, but in the meantime I use this one.
How's the amazon basics one working out? I'm tempted to get those cheapo packs too. The ifaraday is tempting though
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Amazon Basics stylus works great!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
But according to the website there is only one type available -- and it's $26! Not good.
Rustle, the guy who makes these styli, runs a very small shop and is pretty fanatical about satisfying customers. Early on, in fact, a customer complained about a problem with one of his early models on an iPad forum. He not only found and corrected the problem with a particular batch he'd made, he posted the fact on the same forum and sent emails to all those who had purchased the styli from that batch asking if they had experienced the problem and offered to replace them free of charge.

I mention this only because, as his note on the site indicates, he's trying to keep up with demand for the product and doesn't want to promise immediate shipment when he can't deliver it. (I've ordered several models from iFaraday and they've all arrived within three days.)

If you're interested in the product I'd recommend checking the website again in a week or so or sending an email asking when he expects other models to begin shipping again. I suspect it will be shortly.

By the way, you may find the $26 price for the model he's shipping to be extravagant but imo it's worth every penny for writing and drawing. Almost any capacitive stylus will work for button pushing but if you want to write on a capacitive screen it requires considerable practice and a good tool. Cheaper styli typically fail on that score.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Rustle, the guy who makes these styli, runs a very small shop and is pretty fanatical about satisfying customers. Early on, in fact, a customer complained about a problem with one of his early models on an iPad forum. He not only found and corrected the problem with a particular batch he'd made, he posted the fact on the same forum and sent emails to all those who had purchased the styli from that batch asking if they had experienced the problem and offered to replace them free of charge.

I mention this only because, as his note on the site indicates, he's trying to keep up with demand for the product and doesn't want to promise immediate shipment when he can't deliver it. (I've ordered several models from iFaraday and they've all arrived within three days.)

If you're interested in the product I'd recommend checking the website again in a week or so or sending an email asking when he expects other models to begin shipping again. I suspect it will be shortly.

By the way, you may find the $26 price for the model he's shipping to be extravagant but imo it's worth every penny for writing and drawing. Almost any capacitive stylus will work for button pushing but if you want to write on a capacitive screen it requires considerable practice and a good tool. Cheaper styli typically fail on that score.
Personally, I do not consider $26, or more, to be at all extravagant for a well-designed, well-made stylus -- I am happy to pay it. The only point of my comment was that, from a consumer standpoint, availability limited to only one of his various models is not ideal. It is good to know, however, that he has a continuous flow of orders and the shortage is temporary.

I have just about given up trying to find the ultimate stylus for note-taking on my Xoom and Fire. And then there is the problem with decent software.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Everything I've seen/read about it from customers on various other forums says that it's more than worth it. I'm more than willing to pay a few extra bucks for something that A. Works good, and B. The creator stands behind and will fix/rectify if/when they are DOA. I've placed an order, and now I'm waiting for it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote