Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-27-2023, 02:02 PM   #61
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Got the newest update and it looks good - no page curl and page zones are really nice.

Noticed there are no page numbers. Did I miss a setting? I very much depend on page numbers (page x of xx in the entire book). I don't even care if they are real accurate. I always look to see how close to the end of the book I am before going to bed. Less than 100 pages, I'll keep reading, otherwise I'll wait until the next day

I also like at least the time shown. Hopefully you will include that in the not too far future. In the meantime I'll keep checking it out. You are doing a really great job!

Thanks peaceridge for taking the time to check and provide feedback . We also just released auto-scrolling support and Apple Pencil improvements. More at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...46#post4383646

With regards to your two additional items:

Page Numbers - We currently show percentage progress and remaining pages within a chapter. However we will implement global pagination that will display the concept of page numbers and are also looking at using Adobe Page numbers as well. Soon

Custom Bottom/Top bars in full screen mode - We have gotten this request before. It was not initially planned but we will be adding support at a later date.

We will likely reach out to the community with a list of the requests we have received like we did previously and have the community vote on how it should be prioritized.

For both these items they are not immediate, we have spent the last couple months refining the reading experience and want to take some time to complete a few key features that are not present in any other reading platform. Once a few of those items are complete we will be be sure to add the two mentioned above.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:39 AM   #62
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Just tested BookFusion with a free account. How does reading sync position work? I've installed in my iPhone 15 Pro Max, got a free ebook from your library, moved to a position, then went to main library. Then I went to my mac, opened the same book: no sync.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:23 AM   #63
chrisread67
chrisread67 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
I use the native Book app in my iPad Pro 12.9 for library/book reading, mainly textbooks in pdf/epub format. Is this the best app for this purpose or is there a 3rd party app that is better?
GoodReader and Marvin are best.
chrisread67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:34 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisread67 View Post
GoodReader and Marvin are best.
Marvin is not best. Marvin is buggy and gone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:42 AM   #65
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Marvin hasn’t been even close to the best in years! It’s trash now.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:17 AM   #66
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Everyone like different things. I find Marvin still the best for epubs. Goodreader for pdf. MapleRead for OPDS - it will do for either of Marvin or Goodreader if they stop working. Bookfusion is coming along and is active, so I have great hopes for it.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:08 PM   #67
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
My reader of choice for ePubs is FBReader. I loved Stanza, then Marvin but both are no more.

FBReader has the ability to set 3 tap zones each side. I have 5 set to forward and only the top right third set to reverse.

It also has "finger slide" to adjust the brightness. I'm always tweaking brightness as the room light changes.

You can customize the font color and background.

FBReader Network uses Google Drive for loading books.

GoodReader for pdf's

Last edited by leebase; 02-22-2024 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added content
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:18 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
My reader of choice for ePubs is FBReader. I loved Stanza, then Marvin but both are no more.

FBReader has the ability to set 3 tap zones each side. I have 5 set to forward and only the top right third set to reverse.

It also has "finger slide" to adjust the brightness. I'm always tweaking brightness as the room light changes.

You can customize the font color and background.

FBReader Network uses Google Drive for loading books.

GoodReader for pdf's
Unless FBReader has been rewritten to respect the CSS, it's worthless.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:54 AM   #69
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless FBReader has been rewritten to respect the CSS, it's worthless.
Like a boil on my nether regions - your opinion on this topic is one I don't share or care about.

Words of the book appear, I read them, enjoy them, and move on to the next book.

Never ONCE, in my decades of reading digital books have I cared about "respecting the CSS" styles.

Did Stanza have perfect CSS? Probably not. I wouldn't know, because it's never been a concern.

Did Marvin perfectly respect CSS? Probably not. I wouldn't know, because the words I want to read appear - and I read them.

The best looking book app I've ever used is Apple's Book app. Does it perfectly respect CSS? I wouldn't know, but probably better than most.

Do I care? No, I do not.

I care about ease of acquiring and loading the ebooks.

I care about fine tuning the lighting as that's a key component of reading in comfort for me.

I care about the ability to choose the font and background colors - again, for the comfort of reading.

It's nice to be able to choose which font, but do I care that much about it? Not really.

I care about being able to tap both the right and left side of the screen to move forward. It's my largest gripe about the Kindle app.

I appreciate that the Kindle book app and Audible app sync near perfectly for many books. So for many books I'll choose the Kindle app because when I go for walk, I get to continue the book in audio form and then back to reading when I get home.

Do I care about fidelity of CSS formatting? No. No I do not. If it wasn't for you mentioning it ad nauseaum in replies to my post -- I wouldn't even KNOW there was an issue.

So, I don't care. Never have. It's not on my list.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #70
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
leebase, I totally agree.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:19 PM   #71
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Do I care about fidelity of CSS formatting? No. No I do not. If it wasn't for you mentioning it ad nauseaum in replies to my post -- I wouldn't even KNOW there was an issue.

So, I don't care. Never have. It's not on my list.
Well, IMHO, the only real issue with CSS in FBReader (and the main of the reasons why I don't use it), is the section separation. Some ebooks contains separations inside a chapter that FBRreader does not respect. This breaks you reading flow because you aren't aware there is a scene change.

Other CSS faults (a lot, it is the reader that most of that has), aren't so annoying.

BTW, in my iPads, I use Kindle app or I generate a PDF with own format and use to read in DEVONthink or PSPFKit's PDF Viewer.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:27 PM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Other CSS faults (a lot, it is the reader that most of that has), aren't so annoying.
I hear you. I am able to detect scene changes but it would be nice if they were visual as intended.

It just isn't that big a deal to me. If there were a reader that met all my other needs and had perfect CSS formatting, I'd gladly adopt it.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:24 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Marvin does have an option to respect the CSS.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:41 AM   #74
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
A certain someone may want to have me banned from here but I confess that I have no idea what CSS is. And I’ve never cared enough to look it up. Enhanced typesetting is enough for me. I still remember reading books on a Handspring Visor with just blocks of text.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:03 PM   #75
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
(Deleted)

Last edited by Desertway; 02-27-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote