Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Discussion on the future of eBook readers

Hi all.

I'm just curious to know what people think of the new wave of e-readers coming out? There seems to be a new one everyday, with some new bell or whistle.
I own a prs-505 myself. I'm very happy with it due mainly to the fact that it does what I want it to do - I can read books on it - nothing fancy about that! I will probably wait for quite a while before buying a new reader as I think the whole e-reader craze will die down.
What does everyone think? Should I plump for a new reader soon or wait it out? Will a particular device(s) come to dominate the market?Does technology mean that devices will quickly become obsolete?
I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks for your advice in advance
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I'd say keep your 505. I love mine, and while there are a few features I'd like (such as search), it does the main thing I want, which is let me read books.

Plus, there is a slew of new readers coming out soon, so prices may fall as a price war rages.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Keep it as long as you can, because as the price war and technological improvements speed up the longer you wait the more value you get.

I remember when those big plasma TVs were $8000, within 3-4 years they were $500. Same thing is underway with ebook readers, it's about half way along on if you wait 2 years you will get an incredible reader for a cheap price.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I still have the original K1 I bought in June of 2008.

If you love your 505 as much as I love mine.......keep it till it dies a natural death.

As others have posted, the prices will only continue to drop, and bugs will be worked out.

"Bells and Whistles" add nothing to the reading experience, do they?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You can never have too many eBook readers scattered around the house
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Attaboy! I've got three, and it's kinda like having a family around.

But, really, if your PRS-505 does the job for you, keep it as long as possible. It's still a pricey kind of hardware which one usually doesn't replace every other week.

And I do think there will be a line of advanced (and quite different) reading devices availabe in about 3-5 years, so it's soon enough thinking about a replacement by then.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I still have the original K1 I bought in June of 2008.

If you love your 505 as much as I love mine.......keep it till it dies a natural death.

As others have posted, the prices will only continue to drop, and bugs will be worked out.

"Bells and Whistles" add nothing to the reading experience, do they?
Nope Bells and Whistles add nothing but price. I have a PP and bought it purely for reading fiction. I love it, it does everything I wanted it for. I would like to see a big advancement in the larger screen readers and made suitable for academic use. I feel something cross between a Kindle DX and the Sony PRS-600 would work well (Basically if you added the ability to zoom and annotations to the DX it would be brilliant for University use IMHO).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
"the only thing constant in the world is change"

... technology is never an exception to that change. in fact, it is one of those rapidly changing. you are right about that one, almost everyday a new one comes out. so if you are the type of person who wants to really catch up with technology, for sure you will never be contented.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote