Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
SkinIt for Reader for $10 w/ shipping

I found a discount code for SkinIt.com today for $20 off any skin of $20 or more plus shipping and handling. After ordering my steampunk skin for my reader, it came to just under $10 w/ shipping.

The code is MTVN1. I don't know how long it will be good for, so if you are interested, you might want to jump on it. I did.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I found a discount code for SkinIt.com today for $20 off any skin of $20 or more plus shipping and handling. After ordering my steampunk skin for my reader, it came to just under $10 w/ shipping.

The code is MTVN1. I don't know how long it will be good for, so if you are interested, you might want to jump on it. I did.
Revfish

I hope you'll post some pictures of your skinned Reader. Can't wait to see a 'steampunked' Sony!

Irene
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Oooh - I'd love to see your steampunk skin too
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Oooh - I'd love to see your steampunk skin too
Ditto here. None of the "pre-packaged" ones on the site appeal to me at all. Heck, I'd even try paisley, but EVERYTHING they offer is in some shade of pink or purple.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Unhappy

I posted this code over in the Deals, Freebies...forum last night; it's now a dead deal however. The code no longer works.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

That sucks. I hope somebody else got to use it. I will post pics once it arrives. Let's hope it works well. I got one for my iPod and it looks pretty sweet. I am unhappy that there is a piece missing from the back for access to the serial number. leving a big hole in the middle of it. I am hoping that it will be just one full image with that part die cut out and not actually have a blank spot so I can stick that part on as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Can we keep avatars on this forum politics neutral? What is the mobileread policy about this?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

I am sorry to have offended you. It seemed that I would be able to use my avatar of choice as it involves a love of reading and the freedom to do so. I will remove it so that I no longer offend anyone.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thank you for that, revfish. We do try to keep discussions away from areas that are both "hot button" and unrelated to the forum's point -- we're stuck with the DRM debates, I'm afraid.

In my mind, avatars are a bit fuzzier since they're not really part of the discussion, and they tend to be pretty personal to a lot of folks.

I, personally, and as a moderator, greatly appreciate your being willing to step back from it in the interest of the community spirit -- we work hard to keep it healthy, but it's really the members who determine whether that happens or not.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I am sorry to have offended you. It seemed that I would be able to use my avatar of choice as it involves a love of reading and the freedom to do so. I will remove it so that I no longer offend anyone.
revfish, thank you. One of the things I like about mobileread is that it is "safe" from politics. There are so many other sites that engage in political debate, and I do visit some of them. Those debates can get heated at times, especially during these times. Mobileread is kind of a respite from all those. As you know, we are not really "free" to do as we wish in forums. Things pretty much depend on those who run/own each forum. And I would have respected whatever decision would have been made in this case by those who run mobileread.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Revfish

I hope you'll post some pictures of your skinned Reader. Can't wait to see a 'steampunked' Sony!

Irene
It didn't come out quite as nice as I had hoped but it is still kinda cool.

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics but my camera is at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0047.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	17147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0046.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	17148  
Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #12
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Revfish, being a little over a month since you skinned your reader -- I'm curious as to how the skin is holding up? Do you still like it? Any "buyer's remorse"? Anything just "not fit" right?

Thanks!!
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

I still have it on there. I am not the craziest about the red numbers and symbols as they are over my image which had numbers but I still keep it because I like th over all effect. I wish they had just printed the entire image instead of making white holes where the round buttons are because I put the cutouts on as well since they are less glaring than silver circles on a cocobolo wood finish.

What I am frustrated about is that I had been saving up point on my Coke Rewards program to get a skin and they only had a code for the small device so I used my points to Skin my iPod and ended up buying my Skin for my Reader when I found this sale. Now the program offers the large device code so I could have gotten it for free.

Oh well.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Hey, thanks for that information. Looks like I'll keep mine 'naked'. The skin I was looking at was the "black ebony wood". I have the blue reader -- but would like to make it black (for the illusion of the text being sharper in contrast).

That really bites about not having the circular cutouts included. The numbers I could probably get used to. I really suck at applying stuff like this anyway and I just KNOW I would get bubbles and wrinkles all over the place. Had I documented the fiasco of myself trying to tint my truck windows -- there would be a new slew of "FAIL!" pics floating around the net.

Thanks again for the input and "taking one for the team"!
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I just bought one and love it. I had no problems applying out and no real bubbles. I was worried because I thought I would have trouble. I choose my own image. A textured medium blue. I was worried about the red on the buttons which I found out about after ordering but they are pretty dim and are fine overall. mytego.com does skins too which I found out about afterwords. They don't do red on the numbers and seem to be a bit cheaper.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote