Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Backing up your collection

I have a 1TB external hard drive which houses my books, music, photos etc and it would be pretty gutting if I were to lose all of that.

So, I ask, what's the best way to back-up the back-up? Get another cheaper, smaller in size hard drive or take advantage of the various, free, Cloud options online? Silly question, but I don't think Calibre has this option right?

What do you guys do?
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another external drive. Use the freebie Microsoft Synctoy to keep them in sync (and keep the second drive off-site).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another external drive. Use the freebie Microsoft Synctoy to keep them in sync (and keep the second drive off-site).
Both talk to each other and sync 'new' items? Is this what you do?

Sorry, I'm so un-tech savvy.

Last edited by stop__dreaming; 03-07-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, yes. Synctoy can work in various modes. The way I use it, all changes I make on one drive are mirrored on the other. I've used it for years - it's an excellent tool. I run it once a week and it takes less than 5 minutes to sync a week's changes in all my files - and that's checking several hundred thousand files (Calibre, iTunes, photo collection, etc).
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I have a pair of 1 TB external hard drives in which I keep all my music, photos, home movies, ebooks, and other files. I don't keep everything on my laptop so having 2 allows me to have at least 2 copies of everything. They are nowhere near full so I'll be all set for awhile. If one of them were to fail I'd just buy another drive as soon as possible and load it. I guess I'm trusting my luck that they both won't fail at the same time, or that there is no house fire, etc. Hmm I'm getting nervous now. I am paranoid enough that I have no interest in the cloud.

I have been updating these drives manually which is a pain, especially since my laptop does not have USB 3.0 capability. So thanks HarryT for the synctoy tip, looking forward to trying that out this evening!
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use Carbonite. It's $60 per year for backup of a single drive, and they have more expensive plans for those who need more backup. I've been using them for years and have no complaints. You can sign up for a 15-day free trial on their website.

I'm a firm believe in an external backup, in the event of a fire or theft.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Basically, yes. Synctoy can work in various modes. The way I use it, all changes I make on one drive are mirrored on the other. I've used it for years - it's an excellent tool. I run it once a week and it takes less than 5 minutes to sync a week's changes in all my files - and that's checking several hundred thousand files (Calibre, iTunes, photo collection, etc).
Fantastic. I'll look into that!!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Here's the Synctoy download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=15155

If you have 64-bit Windows, install the 64-bit version; it's a lot faster.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I back up to a 2 TB hard drive dedicated to music and books. But I'm a strong believer in backing up to two different media, so I also burn CD-Rs. As big as my library seems to me, I have only recently reached the point that I needed a second CD.

I have found that my CD-Rs are much more accurate, and last much longer, if I burn them at the lowest reliable speed my drives support. So, even though the CDs say they will be reliable at 48X, or 52X, I burn them at 4X. Also, since I "clean up" LPs for a hobby, I invested in some reliable burners when I upgraded my PC a few years ago.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I keep my data on my main drobo, and then back that up to another drobo. I also keep a copy of certain things (iTunes, calibre, audible books a few others) on my laptop. That's three different copies.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Multiple copies are a must as are at least one off site copy.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
A Usb stick is portable and comparable to offsite storage if you carry it with you. It can even be protected with a password. True offsite storage, in the form of a safe deposit box, is costly. Leaving a disc or a drive with a friend or relative is not without its risks.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
As others have said It does not hurt to have a backup drive for your backup drive. I have a 3Tera that I copy from my main 1Tera backup drive everything!

Both data and images. Both my kindles and my nexus 7 are backed up to both drives.

Have learned the hard way never to rely on just one device, because if it can go wrong,, it will. Ether self inflicted or not, stuff does get lost or destroyed or erased.

As far as backing up into the cloud. If you do not hold it,,,you do not own it!

Plus computer/tablet disasters can happen in places where there is no net/cloud available for the save.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
A Usb stick is portable and comparable to offsite storage if you carry it with you. It can even be protected with a password. True offsite storage, in the form of a safe deposit box, is costly. Leaving a disc or a drive with a friend or relative is not without its risks.
That's what I do. Of course, my Calibre folder is smaller than most here and will fit on an 8GB USB stick or microSD card. Then, a couple times a month I just format them and reload the folder.

I only buy from about 4 or 5 different sellers, but still, I'd be devastated if I had to redo my whole library starting from scratch.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
A Usb stick is portable and comparable to offsite storage if you carry it with you. It can even be protected with a password.
Yep. I have a copy of my library in a Calibre Portable install on a stick that's on my keychain and goes with me everywhere.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote