Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
Changes in Titles/Authors Not Shown

hey fellas,

I just got my Cybook last weekend. My problem is this- I have tons of books on my Cybook now, and I have them all properly organized within my ebook library by altering the properties tab using mobipocket. When I sent all my files to my Cybook, the author and titles do not reflect those changes. Instead I have many file and titles named either by the original file location or name. I installed 6.1 and 6.2, synced, restarted, etc. and still have not found a way to change the titles and authors properly. Any ideas? Thanks for any and all help.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
When you edit the properties of MOBI file in MobiPocket Reader I think the info gets stored in the associated .mbp file. The E-Ink machines that support MobiPocket don't allow property editing. They do have .mbp files, and I don't know if they would read the info from a .mbp file if you explicitly copied it from your PC to the device or not.

One fix would be to use mobi2mobi to actually put this info in the PRC/MOBI file. That would be time consuming, but permanent.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
When you edit the properties of MOBI file in MobiPocket Reader I think the info gets stored in the associated .mbp file. The E-Ink machines that support MobiPocket don't allow property editing. They do have .mbp files, and I don't know if they would read the info from a .mbp file if you explicitly copied it from your PC to the device or not.

One fix would be to use mobi2mobi to actually put this info in the PRC/MOBI file. That would be time consuming, but permanent.
If somebody decoded the format of mbp files mobi2mobi could be modified to use the information from this file.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It seems to be pretty simple. Mine have some easily identified (by four first bytes) records:
COVE: cover filename
ABST: abstract
AUTH: author
GENR: genre
PUBL: publisher
etc.
If you need only to read properties, you can just ignore any record you don't know.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It seems to be pretty simple. Mine have some easily identified (by four first bytes) records:
COVE: cover filename
ABST: abstract
AUTH: author
GENR: genre
PUBL: publisher
etc.
If you need only to read properties, you can just ignore any record you don't know.
Was this the actual format? How do you know the lenhth in that case?

If somebody give me some example files I will fix mobi2mobi so you can automatically add relevant information to the mobi file.
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Length seems to be the second dword after identification one. Here's a bunch of mbps I had on my HDD.
P.S. covers are situated in the subdirectory "Covers" relative to the books.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mbp.zip (4.7 KB, 387 views)
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Length seems to be the second dword after identification one. Here's a bunch of mbps I had on my HDD.
P.S. covers are situated in the subdirectory "Covers" relative to the books.
Thanks. Each character is 2 bytes. Did you see anywhere what coding it is? Could it be UTF-16?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard

Looks like it. Longman mbp abstract has 2013, which is en dash in UTF-16.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #9
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Was this the actual format? How do you know the lenhth in that case?

If somebody give me some example files I will fix mobi2mobi so you can automatically add relevant information to the mobi file.

That would be great. It will give you an 'instant GUI' for mobi2mobi. Simply use the Mobireader to do make all changes and run mobi2mobi automatically
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
dhcalva
Enthusiast
dhcalva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
is mobi2mobi going to support setting the titles this way too? I notice it currently seems to only do Author/Publisher.
dhcalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
is mobi2mobi going to support setting the titles this way too? I notice it currently seems to only do Author/Publisher.
Would be nice!

(Actually, would be even nicer if the Cybook would read the info from the .mbp files.)

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-25-2008 at 05:44 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
is the title in the mbp file? I have forgotten the details but I think the title was not in the example files I got. It would be easy adding setting title if I know how to extract it from the mbp file.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
is the title in the mbp file? I have forgotten the details but I think the title was not in the example files I got. It would be easy adding setting title if I know how to extract it from the mbp file.
Yes, it is in there. I had some books that showed up on the Cybook without titles, but all were fine in Mobipocket reader on my PC and PDA...which is what led me to this thread in the first place. I just looked at one of my mbp files with a hex editor, and can see it in there -- as TITL.

BTW, thanks so much for all your efforts with mobiperl -- it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-25-2008 at 07:19 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Check the wiki on MOBI. at the bottom is a perl script pointer for working with the mbp file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yes, it is in there. I had some books that showed up on the Cybook without titles, but all were fine in Mobipocket reader on my PC and PDA...which is what led me to this thread in the first place. I just looked at one of my mbp files with a hex editor, and can see it in there -- as TITL.

BTW, thanks so much for all your efforts with mobiperl -- it is greatly appreciated.
I created a ticket for this in the trac in the development hub so hopefully I will rember to do this the next time I do a new release.