Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Yep. I know there are two types of mobi files : PX and OD. What's the difference between them??
There is another difference that people haven't mentioned. You don't always have to manually enter your PID at the store when using PX servers. They have a system where you download a file, then log in with your store credentials to authorize after the initial download.

It then downloads a working copy.

Personally I find this system's a HUGE pain and much prefer OD.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #17
KurtJohnson
KurtJohnson doesn't litterKurtJohnson doesn't litter

Device: Cybook, Sony 505
As of 9:10pm CDT no change in status.

To weigh in on the discussion here;
I like Microsoft Reader again for Windows Mobile devices since their updates in July although I prefer Mobipocket OD as an all around platform. Adobe is the best for graphics if you're going to read from desktop or laptop - or Sony. eReader's okay, too, but (and in consideration of what we are experiencing today a significant 'but' to consider) eReader format is single-sourced from Ingram whereas all the others have at least two sources.

Tonight, we are without PX but our customers may still access Mobipocket OD.
KurtJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtJohnson View Post
As of 9:10pm CDT no change in status.

To weigh in on the discussion here;
I like Microsoft Reader again for Windows Mobile devices since their updates in July although I prefer Mobipocket OD as an all around platform. Adobe is the best for graphics if you're going to read from desktop or laptop - or Sony. eReader's okay, too, but (and in consideration of what we are experiencing today a significant 'but' to consider) eReader format is single-sourced from Ingram whereas all the others have at least two sources.

Tonight, we are without PX but our customers may still access Mobipocket OD.
For Graphics I prefer CDisplay - but that's another story. MS Reader was the first program I used, and I still like it. Mobipocket is solid, I shifted to it from MS Reader on my iPaq, but I find Ereader works the best on my current device, so I like it better. The single source is an issue, but I definitely prefer the idea of locking to the user not the device.

Thanks for keeping us updated. We do appreciate it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
The issue comes from the fact that many companies which have used server-based DRM authentication systems have later found that their business needs required that they take those servers down permanently.

Should that happen with mobi, everyone is hooped for new devices.
Hey I am not saying I like DRM at all which is why I "liberate" my ebooks to make them a bit more future proof.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #20
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
Thumbs down Oprah beware - Amazon Mobipocket makes saps of all of us

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that Amazon/Mobipocket has done it again, leaving customers holding the bag while they focus on Oprah.

Wonder if Oprah - who claims to speak for regular people and apparently endorsed the Kindle yesterday - knows that her latest corporate sponsor took down hundreds of thousands of customers ebookshelves in the interest of their corporate profits just a few short years ago - same management then as now. (These were bookshelves Amazon encouraged people to use as a virtual library and back-up, just as it's done with Kindle). Or does she know that Amazon let their Mobipocket customers go almost a month last September without being abel to download ebooks they purchased without warning, public statement or apology.

And they're doing more of the same today. Any wonder the publishers are frightened of Amazon's attempt at dominance. Amazon will continue to encourage creativity, of course, so long as it's on Amazon's terms.

I'm for the independents any day - I'll keep buying my ebooks from BooksOnBoard, or FWse.

It's hard to believe that the self-appointed champion of regular people has sold her soul to the big corporation and the quarterly income statement. (Maybe she needed some extra cash after getting massacred in the stock market. History will judge.)

As for me, I still like to think we have some thread of control over our decisions; I'll do everything I can to resist the hundreds of millions of dollars big outfits like Amazon spend to control me. That kind of "advertising and spin" strategy is the same kind of thing we see with the sub-prime mortgage thing and the bailout. Why can't ebooks - and books in general - be left out of that kind of politics and spin-meistering?
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteagle View Post
I guess we shouldn't be surprised that Amazon/Mobipocket has done it again, leaving customers holding the bag while they focus on Oprah.

Wonder if Oprah - who claims to speak for regular people and apparently endorsed the Kindle yesterday - knows that her latest corporate sponsor took down hundreds of thousands of customers ebookshelves in the interest of their corporate profits just a few short years ago - same management then as now. (These were bookshelves Amazon encouraged people to use as a virtual library and back-up, just as it's done with Kindle). Or does she know that Amazon let their Mobipocket customers go almost a month last September without being abel to download ebooks they purchased without warning, public statement or apology.

And they're doing more of the same today. Any wonder the publishers are frightened of Amazon's attempt at dominance. Amazon will continue to encourage creativity, of course, so long as it's on Amazon's terms.
Maybe you could write her and let her know.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #22
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hey I am not saying I like DRM at all which is why I "liberate" my ebooks to make them a bit more future proof.

BOb
Of course, by stripping DRM, you may be breaking the law (there seems to be some dispute about that), you are letting the publishers know there is a market for DRM'd books and you are justifying their arguments for DRM.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Of course, by stripping DRM, you may be breaking the law (there seems to be some dispute about that), you are letting the publishers know there is a market for DRM'd books and you are justifying their arguments for DRM.
Well... that is one opinion. The other is that I am proving to them how useless DRM really is.

BOb

PS: I also speed sometimes. Shhhh!
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #24
donbrubaker
Enthusiast
donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: LB Mars, Voyage, iPad Mini
It does seem like their web site is down as well. I was just trying to add a new PID for my new laptop on which I was going to be redownloading my books from fictionwise... but will have to wait until things are back up. You'd think a larger company like this would have multiple redundancies built into their servers...
donbrubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #25
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Oh. I didn't know this. Why BoB keeps different PID list for each?
They don't. It's just the servers these books are using to encode the PID into he Mobipocket file.
Actually, if you want to use a PID with both the OD and PX Mobi books, you do have to list the PIDs twice on BooksOnBoard's website.

The OD books require the PID entry. The PX don't, but if you don't, then the book makes you login to your BooksOnBoard account. So for the PX, if you plan to read them on a device that isn't connected to the web, it's suggested you also register PIDs as well.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteagle View Post
Or does she know that Amazon let their Mobipocket customers go almost a month last September without being abel to download ebooks they purchased without warning, public statement or apology.
Lest we forget, Mobi took the extremely responsible step of taking down their servers last year because of a potential security breach which could have affected the security of customer accounts. They did apologise for the move, but decided that to take down the servers, while causing inconvenience, was in the best interests of their customers - something which I completely agree with.

As I recall, the outage lasted for about two weeks.

There is, however, not the slightest reason to suppose that this is anything other than a temporary server outage. Doing a "tracert" shows that the site is simply not there at the moment - I suspect they've had some kind of hardware failure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #27
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Grumble....

I was able to *buy* a book from Fictionwise yesterday but not
download the rascal....

This morning I was not able to even access the site

I wonder if they are going to extend their 'autumn' sale...

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FW was up a couple of hours ago but you're right, they do seem to be off the air at the moment.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FW seems to not be fully functioning at the moment. I cannot log in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I just plain can't connect to Fictionwise at the moment, Jon!