Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Well - what should I do
Keep the 505 16 64.00%
Sell the 505 and get a Kindle 2 2 8.00%
Sell the 505 and get a Kindle DX 0 0%
Sell the 505 and get a Kindle Graphite 2 8.00%
Sell the 505 and get a Nook 4 16.00%
Sell the 505 and get a Sony 600 0 0%
Sell the 505 and get a Sony 900 0 0%
Sell the 505 and get something else 1 4.00%
Sell the 505 and just wait for a few months 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Different variation on the same question....

I am holding in my hands a brand spanking new Sony 505 reader. I got a very good deal on it and jumped on it before I lost the opportunity.

I came to realization that no eReader was going to give me what I wanted so I figured I would jump one of the best ones to "hold" me over until the next generation of readers/tablets/slates/etc... comes out this year. Hopefully a few months from now I have options to go with eInk devices that support PDF better than they do now.

I have my eye on the PocketBook 90x series.

In the meantime, I have to decide whether to open this (decreasing its value) and keep it for a few months or sell it here or on ebay (probably making a few bucks) and find another eReader to go with for the next few months.

I have a number of eBooks from O'Reilly that are in ePub, MOBI and PDF. There are a few of them that are only in PDF. This will be the core reading I will be doing over the next few months.

Thanks in advance.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
abeaty
Enthusiast

Let's get more votes - 1 vote for 11 views....
Old 07-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Best option not listed - Keep the 505 (I did) and buy a Nook. You need the 505 to pick up on Sony deals and then you can side load them onto your Nook.

I love my Nook even more than the 505 which can't last forever.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
My other option besides keeping the 505 is buying a kindle dxg best of two very good worlds.
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I voted keep the 505. You can still sell it later, even if it's open, and buy something else. I've never heard anyone here say a bad word about the 505.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I voted keep the 505. You can still sell it later, even if it's open, and buy something else. I've never heard anyone here say a bad word about the 505.
Permit me to be the first, in that case. It has an extremely old (and therefore poor) implementation of the ePub firmware on it, resulting in all ePub books being displayed left-justified, and with poor PDF support. Personally I can't abide that. Sony are the only ones still to use the antiquated ADE firmware.

The 505 is certainly a nice enough device, but it is getting "long in the tooth" and there are much better devices available from companies such as Pocketbook, Bookeen, etc.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Permit me to be the first, in that case. It has an extremely old (and therefore poor) implementation of the ePub firmware on it, resulting in all ePub books being displayed left-justified, and with poor PDF support. Personally I can't abide that. Sony are the only ones still to use the antiquated ADE firmware.

The 505 is certainly a nice enough device, but it is getting "long in the tooth" and there are much better devices available from companies such as Pocketbook, Bookeen, etc.
Oh! I didn't know that. Makes sense since, technologically speaking, it's pretty f'ing ancient.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
abeaty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Makes sense.

My problem is that I got it for less than $50. I seriously thought about going with a DX Graphite for the pearl screen, but at $380 + tax, the prices just don't compute. I figure in a few months the new offerings will be out with the bigger, better screens and the 505 is as good a stop gap measure as there is.

If things go well with the 505, then I may not even need to upgrade. If not, then I will probably still make money in a few months on the 505 (just not as much as if it were new). At that point I can look at the newer models.

Still want some votes and thoughts....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
At $50 it's certainly very good value for money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Well I've seen them go on ebay (brand new) for about $250-$300 so I'd sell it, buy newer technology and pocket the change, or save the money from the sale and wait a few months for the newer screens to come out (Kindle 3).
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
abeaty
Enthusiast

Well I decided to keep it. The price point was too overwhelming and the upgrades available were too underwhelming.

I will keep it for a few months keeping tabs on what is available. If something that meets my need better becomes available then I will re-evaluate then.

Thanks for the comments and the votes.