Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
David Weber's Safehold series

I'm about 140 pages into the third book, and I've just realized that this series is an homage to Russian literature: people sit and talk for 700+ pages and then someone dies.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm not being fair to Russian lit, but this book really is that bad. I'm 140 pages in and nothing has happened yet. I think this could be the first Weber novel that I've ever abandoned.

P.S. The first sentence of this post is a joke. It's a reference to a line from Crusade, one of Weber's early novels.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Have to agree with you there. I managed to bypass GR and get hold of the latest installment (book 4). but apart from sprinklings of Weber's excellent action sequences, l found it is going to be pretty much the same as his previous books in the series.

The whole book series premise is great, but he could (and did in his earlier days) wind up the early phase of the story in two books, then moving on to the Safeholdian based humanity's re-emergence as an interstellar power and getting stuck into the Gbaba for payback.

Last edited by sabredog; 04-30-2010 at 02:10 AM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it's a superb series personally. Just goes to show that different things appeal to different people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Harry

Don't get me wrong. It IS a great series, but I am keen to see it move along. There will be a 5th book dealing with the current war I believe. Hopefully we will see the series move on further from that point. The question is though, will Cayleb and Sharleyan be offered longevity treatments?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it's a superb series personally. Just goes to show that different things appeal to different people.
I made a mistake. I'm reading the 4th book right now, not the third. Have you read it yet, Harry?

I like the series, too. The first book wasn't nearly this verbose. Even the second and third books weren't this bad (even though they're really 2 halves of one book).

But I just can't take it anymore.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Nate, I just finished the 4th book a few days ago. I agree that it was slow in the beginning but I found it picked up at about the midway point and that I couldn't put it down once I got there. Weber really needs a good editor to trim some of the waste that comes about from overcharacterization. Particularly troublesome in this volume is the amount of etailed "thinking" characters seem to do between utterances.

In the end, however, I liked the book and am looking forward to the next one.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only read the first 3 so far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I really like the series, but was given the first book by someone who was going to throw it out, so, YMMV.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Count me among the fans. I've listened to this series via audible.com. Don't remember being disappointed by any of the booms. I actually like the "thinking" parts

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've read all four - and while I agree the overall story is moving a bit slow, I'm thoroughly enjoying them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I read the first in the series and started the 2nd. That is where I gave up. This series has not grabbed me at all. I have really enjoyed his previous books. I am disappointed.

I just read 4 Brandon Sanderson books that I really enjoyed. Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker. Different genre but nice.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I love the comparison, someone talks then they die
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I read the first book of this series as a pbook when it first came out. I had lost track of the series for a while. Now, only the 1st and the 4th are on Sony. Anyone have another source that can be read on a Sony? I asked the author and did not get an answer.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
I read the first book of this series as a pbook when it first came out. I had lost track of the series for a while. Now, only the 1st and the 4th are on Sony. Anyone have another source that can be read on a Sony? I asked the author and did not get an answer.
Kobo has them all for sale.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
DarthAwaiting
DarthAwaiting began at the beginning.

Device: none
I haven't read any of the books perse but however I have listened to the first 3 on Audio CD and am currently listening to the 4th. I really enjoy the series but I am keen to to see it move along a little quicker. I am quite sick of Clyntawn (not sure of spelling since I have only listened) by now would like to see some technological progression to the past the 17th century. I am sure it is coming but would like to see a defeat of the Gbabba before book 10! Anyone know what Weber's plan for the series?
DarthAwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote