Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer blank lines after all paragraphs in an ebook?
Yes. Strong preference for one after all paragraphs. 19 24.68%
Yes, but it's not a big deal to me. 15 19.48%
No, but it's not a big deal to me. 19 24.68%
No. Strong preference for no blank lines. 24 31.17%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Whatever spacing there is in pbooks is what I want.
But pbooks usually don't have any spacing between paragraphs...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But pbooks usually don't have any spacing between paragraphs...
Whatever spacing there is in pbooks, is what I want.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
"I want to be as close the the pbook experience as I can get with my ebooks."

Whatever spacing there is in pbooks is what I want.
That's why I was a little confused by your subsequent comment that:

Quote:
For me, that means spaces after paragraphs
because most printed books don't have spaces between paragraphs - they just indent first lines .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #34
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't that one major benefit of an eBook reader over a printed book, though - the fact that when your eyes do get tired, or you're reading in poor light, that you can make the text larger?
Yes, it is an advantage but it is also a disadvantage. I have found that it first depends on the original font size used and second on how large the size becomes when it gets increased. It becomes very frustrating to read a book with 6 words constituting a page .

I find that if the base font size is 12 point, then S or M on my Sony is fine. Unfortunately sometimes M isn't quite right and L becomes unreadable.

I expect that in a few years we will be able to exert much finer control over text size standardly, perhaps even being able to set our readers to have a default font and margin size (which is something we should be able to do now, I would think).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #35
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I have a strong preference for indented paragraphs, no intervening line, no blank pages to simulate the printed version, comfortable margins and leading (1.2% of the point size is the accepted typographical convention).
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I expect that in a few years we will be able to exert much finer control over text size standardly, perhaps even being able to set our readers to have a default font and margin size (which is something we should be able to do now, I would think).
That's one of the things I like about the CyBook - the fact that one can choose any font with which to read a book, and the choice of 12 text sizes. Gives you a lot more control than the Sony does.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 AM   #37
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
My personal prefference is to have a *small* space after a paragraph.

I use mostly rtf files and I set the "space after paragraph" to some small number, so the space is perhaps a milimeter wider between two paragraphs than it is between lines.
6" screen is too small for a full width empty line between paragraphs IMHO

I think that you should definitely format the book the way *YOU* like it. If somebody disagrees they are welcome to post their own version. They can even try to contact you for a "source" file and tweak it to their liking with minimal effort.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #38
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I read a lot of fiction, which tends to have a lot of dialogue; each quote tends to be a separate paragraph. All the novels I have downloaded so far do not have spaces between paragraphs, but indents instead, which I think is correct. Some of the books can have 5-10 paragraphs per page (on a 6" screen). Imagine if a blank line was between each paragraph - as there are only 20-25 lines per page, you would waste up to 25-50% of the screen on blank lines, which is just plain daft.

There is at least one reason why people use blank lines on web sites (as indeed do I) - if you try to indent paragraphs using the tab key you not get an indent - the cursor instead jumps to another control. It is easier to tap enter twice than to enter+space+space+space+space to get an indented paragraph.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #39
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post

There is at least one reason why people use blank lines on web sites (as indeed do I) - if you try to indent paragraphs using the tab key you not get an indent - the cursor instead jumps to another control. It is easier to tap enter twice than to enter+space+space+space+space to get an indented paragraph.
Well, I use a stylesheet
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #40
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Well, I was hoping this poll would clarify something like a consensus preference. No such luck. And the strong preferences make it clear that a user-selected option should be available on the reading devices.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #41
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About ten days ago, I uploaded Kenneth Grahame's Wind In The Willows in two forms: one with a blank line after each paragraph and one without. I see now that there have been 51 downloads of the LRF "with" and 35 of the LRF "without". Some of those downloads may simply have been the result of curiosity but otherwise it would seem to confirm that there is a sizeable fraction of MR members who prefer the blank lines. If there are any vendors of ebook readers reading this, please take note that it might be a good idea to have this as a user-selected option on their readers.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 02-03-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
About ten days ago, I uploaded Kenneth Grahame's Wind In The Willows in two forms: one with a blank line after each paragraph and one without. I see now that there have been 51 downloads of the LRF "with" and 35 of the LRF "without". Some of those downloads may simply have been the result of curiosity but otherwise it would seem to confirm that there is a sizeable fraction of MR members who prefer the blank lines. If there are any vendors of ebook readers reading this, please take note that it might be a good idea to have this as a user-selected option on their readers.
On the CyBook you automatically get a slight gap (about 1/3 line) between paragraphs. I find that this greatly enhances the readability of the book compared to having the paragraphs one after the other with no gaps.

I find personally that having a gap of a whole line between paragraphs is too much.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #43
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
On the CyBook you automatically get a slight gap (about 1/3 line) between paragraphs. I find that this greatly enhances the readability of the book compared to having the paragraphs one after the other with no gaps.

I find personally that having a gap of a whole line between paragraphs is too much.
Thanks, Harry. That may explain why most of the PRC files that were downloaded of that title are of the copy with no blank lines.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #44
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
On the CyBook you automatically get a slight gap (about 1/3 line) between paragraphs.
Yes, if the paragraphs are created with the <P> tag (not with <DIV>, as it is sometimes seen).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #45
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, if the paragraphs are created with the <P> tag (not with <DIV>, as it is sometimes seen).
Yeah, on Feedbooks we use <p> tags and I add a slight space between paragraphs in ePub and PDF (not a blank line).

Since we use a very specific stylesheet on Feedbooks, we could imagine something like this for Calibre users:
- API integration to directly download files from Feedbooks
- settings based on the styles that Feedbooks use (changing the chapter headers, paragraphs, blockquote, dropcaps etc...)
Otherwise I could probably offer something similar to our custom PDF option.

Of course, most of these settings should be on the reading system side, except for chapter headers or dropcaps.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote