Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
Secondhand ebooks?

Okay, I know there technically isn't any such thing. But say someone purchased an ebook, read it, and then wasn't planning to again. Would it be legal to send it to another person and then delete all your own copies and backups of it? Are such things done at all?

Enlighten me, please.

Last edited by Miss; 07-14-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I see there being no difference between what you propose and giving a physical copy of a book to a friend as you're deleting your original copy. Perfectly fine in my opinion.

<cue the Copyright Crusaders in 3, 2, 1 ......>
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm no copyright crusader. However, if you check the license agreement for the ebook you purchased, you will no doubt find that you are not to transfer the ebook to anyone else.

For instance, here is the digital content agreement for Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...06200&#content
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'm no copyright crusader. However, if you check the license agreement for the ebook you purchased, you will no doubt find that you are not to transfer the ebook to anyone else.

For instance, here is the digital content agreement for Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...06200&#content
Just because they write it in the license doesn't mean it's enforceable. Has this ever been tested in court? Can anyone point me to a case specifically relating to ebooks?
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Seeing as it will be European law soon to allow and facilitate digitally purchased/downloaded games to be sold on I wonder if ebooks will be next to be allowed to sell on in the European community.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlittle View Post
I see there being no difference between what you propose and giving a physical copy of a book to a friend as you're deleting your original copy. Perfectly fine in my opinion.

<cue the Copyright Crusaders in 3, 2, 1 ......>
I don't know if it's technically "legal", but morally, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I've done that with printed books I've bought and then realized i hated, but someone else wanted it so badly they'd give their teeth for it. So if the original ebook is deleted, the end result is no different than a printed book.

The only difference is obvious, that with an e-book, a copy is retained by default unless the original owner deletes it. The only reason it wouldn't be legal is the fact that nobody would trust the original purchaser to actually delete it.

That's largely why I buy printed books, nobody cares who i hand it to because no "copy" is made when I hand it to someone. A single copy can change 50 hands and then they can give it back to me, and then on top of that I can STILL sell it or donate it permanently. Printed books are a better investment IMO and I wish there were no grey areas with e-books.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 07-14-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: had to change a word, duh
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
So many helpful responses already, wow.
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You are not supposed to. That's what DRM are there for, to keep you on a leash and in exchange of your very real money, give you very limited rights.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
There would be many - including the booksellers - who would say it is illegal.

But for many, it's ethical, as long as you truly do delete your copy (and your backups).

You have to decide how to live with it, including the admittedly small chance that you could get in trouble legally. If the ebook is digitally watermarked, and the person you give it to uploads it to a torrent (or wherever), you could be held responsible.

In my early days of discovering independent ebooks, I have bought ebooks that I knew in 2 pages I would never finish. (Now I'm more careful with what I buy!) I had no problem personally handing those off to people I trusted and deleting my copies. But I did it knowing that I do have a small risk of getting in trouble for it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Something tells me, in the long run, the courts in many countries will judge it as legal. However, there is a major sticking point right now: short of transferring the device, you are actually transferring a copy. There is a bit of a trust issue (and likely a legal issue) about the original being deleted.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
Okay, I know there technically isn't any such thing. But say someone purchased an ebook, read it, and then wasn't planning to again. Would it be legal to send it to another person and then delete all your own copies and backups of it? Are such things done at all?

Enlighten me, please.
The problem with that is while you don't have a copy any longer, if the eBook originally had DRM, you can;t strip the DRM to sell it. Also, if you can still go back to where you purchased it and download it again, you can't sell it.

What needs to be done is for the shop you bought the eBook to transfer it to a different account. But then, they can't be sure you've deleted all copies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Something tells me, in the long run, the courts in many countries will judge it as legal. However, there is a major sticking point right now: short of transferring the device, you are actually transferring a copy. There is a bit of a trust issue (and likely a legal issue) about the original being deleted.
As long as you still have access to download it where you bought it, it won't fly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As Jon rightly says, the issue is that you still have the book available to you from the store you bought it from, and most stores don't provide a method of deleting it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
And this is why copyright laws needs to be modernized.
One such requirement beeing that if you want to transfer an eBook to someone you should be able to do so, as long as it is done in accordance with traditional transfer methods, ie. you don't maintain a copy on a retailer's server, in the cloud or on your computer (USB stick, MicroSD card etc).

Yes, I too can see that there are practical limitations to this, but a start would be for the law to require digital retailers to offer that ability.

My sister recently got herself an iPad and she is going gaga over it right now. I showed her how to install the Kindle app and how to buy books online. I have some 100 finished Kindle books and I know she would enjoy some 30 or 40 of those, but I can't legally give them to her. That just doesn't make sense.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #15
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As long as you still have access to download it where you bought it, it won't fly.
This can actually be a good thing when it comes to transferring books since there is a third party to ensure that the book has been removed from existing devices. But I only see this happening if there is a decision after there is a decision in the courts.