Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
rysktkr
rysktkr began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Strange error using calibre-portable.bat

Hi,

I have been struggling trying to get calibre-portable.bat to work. I keep getting the error "Python function terminated unexpectedly [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u" (Error Code: 1). I have done an extensive amount of debug on this and have narrowed it down to one line in the batch file. The very last one:
START Calibre --with-library "%CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY%"
Everything works fine up until I hit this line. Prior to this line I checked to make sure my variables are correct
Echo %CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY% returns correctly Z:\
The other variable I set is CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH and that is also set correctly.

Next the head scratcher. I tried to use cmd window and entered:
and it worked fine. Variables were configured the same.

I tried just creating a batch file with just
Verfied the variables were correct using cmd prior to executing the batch file same error...bizarre. Please Help.
rysktkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Why are you using the bat file? Unless you are trying something unusual there is no reason to use the bat file. Here is the section of the manual that might help you.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-23-2014 at 03:48 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I use a variant of the calibre_portable.bat file all the time with no issues (I DO have some unusual requirements).

One thing that occurs to me. At the time the START command is being issued is the current folder the Calibre program folder?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
rysktkr

DoctorOhh,

Sorry, for not getting back to you sooner. I have been out of town.

My book files are located on a shared drive on my networks. Which I have mapped to drive Z:/ on my laptop.

I have the metadata.db stored locally on the laptop. I have a lot of books and the metadata.db file is quite large. Storing locally will enable me to open Calibre much faster then if I were to access it over the network. Yes, I do know to occasionally update it when I add new books.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
rysktkr

Hi itimpi,

The batch file is in the same directory as the caliber.exe
Old 01-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
rysktkr

I thought it might be how the bat was encoded but I have verified that it is being encoded as ANSI which I believe is correct.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysktkr View Post
My book files are located on a shared drive on my networks. Which I have mapped to drive Z:/ on my laptop.

I have the metadata.db stored locally on the laptop. I have a lot of books and the metadata.db file is quite large. Storing locally will enable me to open Calibre much faster then if I were to access it over the network.
That is a great reason to use the batch file. Is this for a portable install? If not just hard code the exact path and try again.

If that doesn't work then give the library a folder and move it to a sub-directory and not the root of the drive, something like Z:\Library\ and try again.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-26-2014 at 12:04 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
rysktkr

Hi DoctorOhh,

Unfortunately, that didn't help.

SET CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY="Z:\Calibre Library" and got the same error.

I even tried path using the Network path:
SET CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY="\\MYPC\Books\Calibre Library" and got an error.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
rysktkr

I finally figured out what I was doing incorrectly. I was incorrectly using quotes to specify the path.

BAD: SET CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY="Z:\Calibre Library"
GOOD: SET CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY=Z:\Calibre Library